Mao Asada revealed the new choreography for next season was completed.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Akira Andrea, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in “Hochi Shimbun” in Japan.
    Translated from Japanese.
    June 13th, 2011 JST

The photo
    Mao Asada revealed that the choreography of the new short program for next season was completed.
    http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/zoomImage/20110612-OHT9I00244.htm

The silver medalist of the Vancouver Olympics, Mao Asada (20, Chukyo University) attended "the Olympic Charity Concert for supporting the East Japan Big Earthquake Disaster" which was held in the Tokyo metropolitan area in June 12th and revealed that the choreography of the new SP for next season from this autumn was completed.
    She said, "Because the new program, too, decided, I am glad if it provides one in useful information on and after next season".

According to the person concerned, she completed the choreography in Russia from May 30th to June 4th.

Mao Asada who finished in the 6 place which was the worst in the past of herself in the Worlds of April swore to recover from the slump, saying, "I have just started the new season. I am sure that it goes well in next season because it was bad in last season”.

Her weight had too decreased because she was practicing too stoically for the Worlds, but her plump cheeks came back.

She said, "I am being able to take my time a little now. I am going to practice little by little from July" with smiling face.

The article
    http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/winter/news/20110612-OHT1T00255.htm

Reference
    According to the official web site of Mai & Mao Asada, Mao Asada seems to be staying in Moscow now.
    In Moscow, she may possibly be making with Tatiana Tarsova the new program for new season now, mayn’t she?

The message and the photo of Mao Asada in her official web site.
    http://maimao-asada.com/mao/private/2011/06/05/58/

Translated from Japanese.
    At Moscow
    June 5th, 2011

I went to an Uzbekistan restaurant in Moscow. I am looking forward to it because it is the first time for me (to eat the Uzbekistan cooking).

By Mao Asada

Reference
    The Olympic Charity Concert for supporting the East Japan Big Earthquake Disaster
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynYrlxi-SyM

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. ponta1

ponta1 New Member

She looks nice in the photo; definitely a lot healthier than she looked at Worlds!

3. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Awww. I want her to practice with smiling face from here until Sochi.

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Glad she is keeping Liebestraum.

Did she by any chance mention her new short program music?

5. skfan

skfan New Member

i read somewhere, probably on mao's forum, that she's going to spend 5 or so days with lori in canada, but i haven't heard whether that's to tweak liebestraum or to choreograph a new program. it pretty much ends the dream that camerlengo is choreographing any program for mao this season though.:( tat usually does mao's exhibitions (and does a fine job, too).

ETA
    thank you Akira Andrea for all your work translating these articles.

6. Eris

Eris New Member

So, new Mao's SP is done by TAT?

7. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Eris, doubt. :sekret: says Tarasova could had choreographed Asada's the programme/s before June 5th (the :sekret: has no idea whether Tarasova did though), but since June 8th she is in the USA choreographing Murakami's programme/s.

8. Eris

Eris New Member

TAHbKA, thanks! Kanako will skate TAT programme/s? Wow, she's definitely mini-Mao.:D
    *by Murakami you meant her, right? not Daisuke?*

9. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Not TAT again?! :eek: Geez, doesn't Mao get that TAT's choreography just doesn't work for her unless it's an exhibition?...WAIT! Maybe she was in Russia getting the choreography for her Ex? Oh please let that be what it was!

TAT's competition pieces BLOW for Mao. There is not one program of she's made for Mao in the last 3 or 4 years that can be considered "good". That SP last year was just not good enough. She hasn't had a decent SP since 2008. All of Mao's exhibitions from TAT (Por Una Cabeza, Caprices and the masterpiece that is Ballade) are wonderful...but that doesn't translate to competition programs.

I hate the overuse of Lori, but I will say that the Lori-Mao combo is a great one. Lori has a knack for utilizing Mao's light, floaty, ethereal qualities. Liebestraum was beautiful, Claire de Lune was gorgeous, Czardas, Fantasie-Impromptu...really lovely programs for her.

My hope is that Mao will keep her Liebestraum and get a new SP from Lori...or anyone who isn't TAT.

10. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

The said article clearly says that she completed the choreography of SP in Russia on June 4th from May 30th.
    I think that it is natural to think that it was choreographed by Tatiana Tarasova if she completed the new program in Russia.

In the several SP by Tatiana Tarasova, too, I think that there was an agreeable work for her, like a "Fantasy For Violin And Orchestra" of 2007/2008 season.

Reference:
    "Fantasy For Violin And Orchestra" by Nigel Hess from the sound track of the Movie "Ladies in Lavendar".
    Choreography: Tatiana Tarasova.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz-AktwtDfs

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  11. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I wonder if that's why she got an olympic silver medal and a world championship? Not everybody hated her programs. I really liked her Bells of Moscow program.

12. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Definitely agree! She looks lovely in the picture, much better than at Worlds.

13. Margaret

Margaret New Member

Bells of Moscow seems to fall into "love it or hate it" category. Personally I loved the synergy of heavy dramatic music and the fragile yet strong girl. It gives me chills every time I watch it. As much as I love her lyrical programs, bring out the fierce warrior princess Mao!

14. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

It took a while for it to really come together (and, for better or worse, it had one or two campy moments), but I'd also count it a success. Then again, I'm one of those people who love the Masquerade Waltz short, so take it for what it's worth. :p

AJ Skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  15. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Different tastes, different opinions. And most importantly, Mao likes TAT's choreography so that's what really matters. Keep rocking, Mao!

16. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

It is possible Mao just enjoys her interactions with TAT, and TAT brings to her something that Mao values. I love TAT's EX numbers for Mao, and do not like her competitive programs, but I think that partnership is not automatically bad. It is hit or miss- and hope for a HIT next year.

17. kwanatic

You are absolutely correct. This was the one competitive program I did like...loved in fact. That 2008 worlds SP gave me chills...:) Why didn't TAT stick to stuff like this when she started coaching her?

I really didn't like them...but I'm just one person with one opinion. ;) I feel that both Masquerade and Bells focused solely on the jumps; the footwork, while very difficult and impressive, was too freaking long; the monotony of the music was very boring for both pieces...the same notes over and over and over; there were hardly any transitions, minimal choreography...it was a waste of Mao's talents.

To me, she got swallowed up by the heavy music--it suffocated her. She's not a powerful skater. Mao's style is very light and lyrical, or happy and playful; TAT only utilizes those sides in Mao's exhibitions. Caprices or Por Una Cabeza would have been incredible SPs. Mao is much more at home in her element of classical music...she flows with it and breathes with it...it's breathtaking and amazing. I thought this past season's SP was a step up, but when you look at it in comparison to a lot of others (Miki, Yu-Na, Carolina, Kanako, Alissa, Kiira, etc.) it doesn't have the content or, better yet, it doesn't leave enough of an impression. You tend to forget what she did when she leaves the ice.

BUT Liebestraum was the total opposite. Beautiful, intricate choreography throughout the entire piece, better spacing of the elements, better transitions, lovely moments in the program that are to the music and are memorable and gorgeous. Aside from the Fantasy for Violin SP, None of TAT's competitive programs had any of that...in my opinion. But, funny enough, all of her exhibitions had that. I adore all of her exhibitions. That's so backwards and weird...:confused:

TAT is a legend but, again just my opinion, I never liked her pairing with Mao. When they got together it became too much about the jumps, specifically the 3A. It seemed like hardly any attention went to details of choreography and the rest of the skating. It was like TAT was trying to turn Mao into this powerful Russian Diva and that so wasn't Mao. For a long time, there was no Mao in Mao's skating. It seemed like she was trying to be something she wasn't...but again, that's just my opinion. :shuffle:

18. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Maybe Mao wanted to experiment with being a fierce Russian diva. Sometimes people get stuck in who they want a skater to be rather than allowing the skater be what they want to be.
    I'm glad Mao's health is better.

19. NMURA

NMURA Member

I don't think Mao herself has special tastes for anything except the 3 axel. It's more like Asada mother's idea. Definitely they don't want to cut the ties with Tarasova until Sochi.

20. kwanatic

That's true...I just didn't think it was a good look for her. Again, just my worthless opinion.

I'm happy she's looking more healthy too. She was scary frail at worlds...:eek:

21. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I liked both Masquerade and Bells, though the former more than the latter. I agree that Bells was heavy music for Mao but really liked her pushing the enveloped with non-traditional ladies music.

And Mao earned World silver, World Gold and Olympic silver under TAT - not too shabby of a record.

22. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

I'm definitely in "love it" group ;) It would be boring if Mao skated all the time to lyrical music. I'm glad she showed her second face, I really like it ;)

Silver at Worlds? It was in 2007, then she wasn't work with TAT.

23. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I love TT working with Mao. Bells of Moscow was genius.

24. senorita

senorita New Member

She has grown up, I dont want her to wear pink lilla dresses any more and skate to predictable pieces, I liked her Olympic Sp and Lp a lot (plus the dresses parade ;p)

Gil-Galad and (deleted member) like this.
  25. kwanatic

She came in 4th at worlds that first year with TAT, before taking silver in Vancouver and then regaining her world title...

It's true she had a decent record under TAT...

I was happy Mao stepped out of her comfort zone as well. It's good to try different things. To me, her classic lyrical style is infinitely better than her powerful heavy side. I'd like to see her do a competition piece that's more like Caprices or Por Una Cabeza: fun, flirty, a little cheeky...she does that well too.:D Her programs that are lighter and happier and fun just seem more enjoyable than her heavier program...plus she looks happier! :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  26. miki88

miki88 New Member

For what's it worth, it is rumored that she is also going to Canada for choreography, so it's likely that Lori is doing the LP.

Not a fan of TAT choreography but I would be happy to see her prove me wrong with some decent programs.

27. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

Pure genius! I get chills down my spine every time I watch it!
    Go Mao!!!

28. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

I beg your pardon. Although it is a matter which is out of main subject...
    In Japan, as for the calling way of Kanako Murakami, I often hear person calling her "Mao-junior", but hardly hear person calling her "mini-Mao".
    I think that it is more suitable to call her "Mao-junior", because I feel that the word "-junior" has a strong sense of direction growing toward the future but the word "mini-" has hardly such a sense of direction.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011