Mao Asada released the programs for Sochi Olympics!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Akira Andrea, May 31, 2013.

1. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea Well-Known Member

This is an article in “Daily Sports” in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

Mao Asada released the programs for Sochi Olympics! She is going to show it in the ice show, too.

The photo:
    Phtography; by Daily Sports
    Mao Asad released the programs for the season of the Olympics in Osaka city.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130531-00000031-dal-spo.view-000#contents-body

In May 31st, Mao Asada participated to the press interview for announcement of the ice show “The Ice”(in Aich in July 24th, 25th, in Osaka in July 27th, 28th), and released the programs for 2014 season of Sochi Olympics.

The short program is Chopin’s “Nocturne”, the free skating is "Piano Concerto No.2" composed by Rachmanioff who is same as the composer of "The Bells" of the free skating of Vancouver Olympics and the exhibition is Chaplin’s “Smile”.
    It planned to show in the said performance if things go well, and she said "I am look forward to that, because I show the new program".

The article:
    Mao Asada released the programs for Sochi Olympics! She is going to show it in the ice show, too.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130531-00000031-dal-spo

Last edited: May 31, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. invierno

invierno Member

Nocturne? Is she revisiting the one from 2006-2007 season? Yes it's one of her best programs.
    Rachmaninoff on the other hand... She didn't have the result she wanted with Rachmaninoff program last Olympics, so to me it seems interesting to choose him again.

3. NMURA

NMURA Member

There are not so good records with Rachmaninoff's piano concerto for Japanese skaters at the Olympics (Ito, Takahashi, Suguri). I would say this choice is a mistake.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Rach 2? Not for her. Did TAT do this?

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Akira Andrea

This is an article in "Nikkan Sports" in Japan.

Mao announced the programs in a pink dress.
    May 31st, 2013

The photo:
    Photography: by Kengo Abe
    Mao Asada who participated to the press interview in a pink dress which the figures of the angel etc. were arranged.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130531-00000026-nksports-spo.view-000

In May 31st, she participated with a pink dress to the press interview for announcement of "The Ice 2013" which she participates to.
    As for the ice show which is held in Aichi (July 24th, 25th and in Osaka (July 27th, 28th), she requested, saying "I would like to skate to new short and new free". She released that SP is Chopin's "Nocturne" and FS is Rachmanioff's "Piano Concerto No. 2", and she said "I would like to be able to express little by little by practice although there is a theme in each programs", eagerly.

The article:
    Mao announced the programs in a pink dress.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130531-00000026-nksports-spo

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  6. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Well, correlation isn't necessarily causation. Plus, there's always a first time for everything.

I guess a warhorse would be good since the music sells itself. I hope she goes for a more Lu Chen-style interpretation than the more extroverted versions done by every other skater. It'll probably be the same usual edits though. The more bombastic beginnings for her Triple Axel attempts, then the long soft middle where she can check off the other jumps and spins, then the very loud and fast ending for her 1 minute+ footwork section and final spin and pose.

7. brilliant9

brilliant9 Member

She looks so charming in that dress. :swoon:
    I'm not quite thrilled about her LP music choice, but those may be her last Olympic programs after all, I wish her the very best.

8. Akira Andrea

9. rayhaneh

rayhaneh Active Member

That was my initial reaction too. Then again, it will all rest on TAT's choreo: if it's as heavy-handed as her Bells of Moscow, I'm not holding my breath, but if she can be more subtle it could work

10. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Haters hate everything. GO MAO!! Do whatever you want. It's your last season.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I like her music choices, but very much hope Tarasova is not doing her choreography....

12. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i personally like the music choices, soft sounds for the sp and a dramatic lp.
    i hated the music for cohen in 2003 but i think the music could work really well for mao and for myself i wouldn't care if the choreo is done by tarasova. i like her dramatic input, which COULD suit the music very well. it would be nice to see, that both have a satisfying end of their work together.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

How about something that hasn't been overused to death, for a change?

14. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

Yeah. This planet is full of music but skaters keep on repeating the same old records.

15. munow

munow New Member

I am not so thrilled by her Nocturne revisit.

16. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

It's in her comfort zone. Her steps will look great on this type of music. She never took huge risks choreography-wise, so she wasn't going to do that on an olympic year.

17. Skater91

Skater91 Member

Perfect, both pieces are great! I am so glad!

18. mikeko

mikeko Member

She is so predictable.

19. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

I like the selections, safe but she can certainly express those music well.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Posted on May 16 in the Program Music/Choreographers thread:
    Belgium's Jorik Hendrickx tweeted this photo of himself, Kovtun, Asada, Tarasova and Shanetta Folle in New York: http://instagram.com/p/Zb2oUpvNKl/

21. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Oh Mao! Give me that dress and those shoes!! Gorg!! :D

I like both choices. :)

Nocturne: I'm sure they'll have to tweak the choreography for the newer rules but I'm excited to see her revisit this one. This is probably her best SP to date. It's a masterpiece of choreography and is Lori's best SP work for Mao. I'm excited to see Mao bring her level of experience and maturity to this program.

Rach No. 2: It's definitely an overused warhorse but I can't say I'm disappointed or surprised. In an Olympic year the last thing you want to do is step out of the box and risk the judges hating it. Playing it safe, especially for Mao, is a good idea. I actually expect to see a lot of warhorses this season b/c it's an Olympic year.

No. 2 isn't nearly as heavy as Bells nor do I think it's a bad choice for Mao. It's not light like Liebestraum or Swan Lake but I think it will fit Mao's style very well. Her last two FS have been great IMO so I hope to see more of the same from her.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Akira Andrea

This is an article in "JiJi Press" in Japan.

Asada decided the using music: "Nocturne", "Piano Concerto No.2"
    May 31st, 2013

Interviewing the press in May 31st, Mao Asada (22, Chukyo University) released the music for using in the season of Sochi Olympics in 2014. The short program is Chopin's "Nocturne" and the free skating is "Piano Concerto No.2" of Rachmaninoff of Russian composer. Asada has already expressed the probability of retirement from eligible skater after the end of the said season.
    As for the music selection of SP, Asada explained, saying "I have used this music before, but I would like to express with my image that became like an adult".
    As for the free skating, she said, "Also at last season, I wavered on whether I uses either of this music and Swan Lake". In Vancouver Olympics which she won the silver medal, she used "The Bells" of Rachmaninoff of the same composer, but she showed the conation, saying "I think that I can do the expression which upgraded than before".
    According to the explanation of Asada, the theme of choreography of SP seems to be "first love" and the theme of FS seems to be what her feelings which is like a joy or a sadness packaged in.
    In this day, Asada talked about the ice show which she participates to in July, saying "I am looking forward to that I show the new program" with smiling.

The article:
    Asada decided the using music: "Nocturne", "Piano Concerto No.2"
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130531-00000121-jij-spo

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  23. torren

torren New Member

It is a very smart choice. This will be certainly beautiful

24. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

Chopin has A LOT of nocturnes, so are you sure she'll renew the one from 06/07 or choose another one?

25. change of edge

change of edge New Member

Yeah I also thought it might be a different Nocturne, but this quote seems to clear it up.

26. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I guess I am fine with Chopin. 7 years is a long time and I look forward to her new interpretation to it.

Rach on the other hand... is silver medal music for the Olympics. There's Ito in 1992, M&D in 1994, Kwan in 1998, (Hughes and S&P switching away from Rach to claim gold in 2002), and her own experience in 2010.

27. falling_dance

falling_dance Happy for Kozuka, Sad for D. Murakami

The Protopopovs skated to Rach 3 in 1968 and Hughes' Olympic LP retained a few seconds from Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (which was John Curry's SP music in 1976). :saint: :p

28. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

That Bells thing was utterly painful. I hope she has two fabulous programs.

29. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I wish she picked something more original. I love her nocturne program, but it would be nice to see something new. And Rach 2 has been done to death (all three movements). Hopefully, the choreography will be good though.

30. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

If Mao was going to go back to a past SP, I wish she would have chosen Ladies in Lavender, that SP was just so :swoon: But I don't mind her choices.