Mao Asada: 'Not performing well ... makes me question whether I can really do it'

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

2. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

NO MAO! DON'T GIVE UP!

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Aw, poor Mao :( But the article isn't as dire as the title suggests. She seems to have perspective on her career and that she wants to compete in 2014.

Good luck to her at Nationals

4. dundas

dundas Banned Member

It's a tragety that Mao had to bend to the pressure of stupid and crazy fans including fsuers to 'retool' her jump technique. She won't be able to land one triple jump after the 'retooling' runs its course.

5. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Three cheers for Mao!

I have no clue which Japanese women I really want to see at Worlds (take that back. I know I want to see Kanako and Akiko. Just not sure if I'd rather see Mao or Miki).

6. figsrus

figsrus New Member

7. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

8. os168

os168 Active Member

I am confused about the article where it says

"Asada will be up against Miki Ando and Olympian Akiko Suzuki during Japan’s National Championships on December 25 in Nagano."

Since when is Akiko Suzuki an Olympian?

I wish best of luck for Mao. I want her do well with a performance she can be proud of, and like her way of thinking wanting to fall in love next year (only a few days honey, any one you already have in mind? :D)

9. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

:lol: OMG! Do you write for Jay Leno or something?

10. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Suzuki has been an Olympian since skating in Vancouver at the olympics earlier this year??:confused:

11. os168

os168 Active Member

Yeah but Mao actually won a medal where as Miki is more Olympian than Akiko interms of career and medal counts.

Unless they mean her age, her health problems and how long she lasted in the sport? It is just bad weird term to be used when there are more 'Olympian' competitor about. Very confusing.

Anyway, Go Akiko... this is such a tight contest and I just want the best lady on the day to win fairly. I am hoping akiko and mao will both go through.

12. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Where, according to her ISU biography, she finished 8th.

13. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Olympian in this context simply means one who has competed in the Olympic Games.

14. os168

os168 Active Member

Yeah but it is a bit like saying Yuna and Mao are top skaters, so is the World Champion Miki ando. It is so ????

15. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I think Olympian in any context means someone who has competed at the Olympic games. Gizmo is an Olympian!

16. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Is there a language barrier here? Because in English (and French afaik) the word Olympian refers to any athlete who competed in the olympics, or for any athlete who was named to an Olympic team.

17. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

I think they were wondering why Akiko was labeled, but not Miki :confused:

EDIT:

Now I see, Olympian's not used in this term as to describe someone amazing, it's just saying that Akiko went to the Olympics. Like someone else said, even the last place finisher in skeleton is an Olympian.

18. Maximillian

Maximillian You can't unfry things.

The term is used for Suzuki to show the depth of the field at the event, Mao and Ando are already huge stars and don't need to have their credentials listed, the average reader already knows they are great skaters, Suzuki is not nearly as well known, it is a way of informing the readers of her legitamacy as a top competitor.

19. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Well then, it should be interesting to see how things will turn out at japanese nationals!

There were many of japanese ladies contenders throughout the gps.

20. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

This is OT, but can't find it: does anyone have a time schedule for Japanese Nats?

21. luCN

luCN New Member

I think the word "Olympian" always describe skaters who don't have World Champion,Olympic medal,GPF gold,Euros etc....

that word can make people who don't concern figure skating to know that they have attend the Olympic and is a good skater in their country.

22. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

There is a time schedule at Kiss & Cry.
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2990540&postcount=2

Oh... if you can't access to the post then.... (Is this OK? if not, tell me plz)

23. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what a "tragety" is, but it sounds nasty.

Nevertheless, if "fsuers" had the power to make every skater change the things the "fsuers" didn't like, skating would be a *very* different sport. Call me naive, but I think it takes a bit more than "pressure" from "fsuers" for skaters to do things differently.

25. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

I guess it was Mao herself that had realized at some point (probably right after the Olympics) that she needed to rework her jumps to be competitive against the likes of Yu-Na.

But at this moment I don’t think she is serious about changing or “retooling” her jump technique. I see no evidence of her efforts in correcting the wrong edge or the poor take-offs on her toe jumps, in her competition skating in any events this season. And she sounds like she would be happy if she could somehow just regain her old form. But I hope she address those old issues eventually. With the half-turn pre-rotation built in her jumps, i.e. full-blade take-offs on her toe jumps and backward take-offs on her axels, it’s like in basketball you attempt a three-pointer breaching the 3-point line every time and never get called for it.

26. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

She's had such a tough season so far. I hope she can rebound and make the Japanese World team. With so much depth of talent in Japan, I hate to see any of the top competitors left off the team. Doesn't the Japanese Federation take into account all results - GP series, Nationals, 4CC before deciding who shall represent Japan and who shall stay home?

That said, I'd love to see Akiko on the team, too!

27. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, Irina Slutskaya didn't qualify for 1999 Worlds, and came back in 2000 even stronger !
    Don't give up, Mao !

28. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Of course you can do it! Go Mao! :cheer: :cheer2:

29. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

That 3A looked amazing! She still has the jumps, so that's not the reason she's falling in competitions. I think it's the pressure of leaving Tarasova and wondering if that was the right decision, getting used to a new coach and the pressure of being reigning World Champion. We've seen it time and time b4.

I hope Mao can get it together. I want this Kim/Asada rivalry to live up to expectations!

Merry Xmas everyone!

:oksana1:

30. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Thanks!

I think she's serious about improving; I just don't think she understands the importance of retooling her jumps. I mean, she's a two-time World Champion and an Olympic Silver Medalist. She does have issues, but were I in that position, I'd have a tough time understanding why I needed to rework my flawed technique.