Manon Perron Retires

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Ziggy, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

(I don't think there was a thread for this yet.)

Manon Perron has been planning to finish her coaching career after the 2009-2010 season. Unless something has changed, she is going to move on from skating.

I have spoken to a number of skaters who have worked with her. They all spoke very positively of her, praising her skill, professionalism, commitment and good character.

To quote one skater: "She could be a role model for all coaches."

A huge loss for Canadian (and world) skating. :(

Does anybody know the reasons for her decision and what she is going to pursue now?

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Oh, this is sad.

:(

She was a wonderful coach! I wish her the best of luck on whatever she decides to do in the future!

3. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

I believe that Manon was named 1 year ago to an all Quebec (or all Canada) role in skater development and coaching mentoring through Skate Canada...(someone can correct the specifics here)

She had given up all of her skaters in St Leonard prior to 2010, but stayed on ( as sole coach) through Vancouver for Joannie.

This is the next step towards fulfilling her mentoring full time.

She will still be able to share her considerable gifts in both of those areas.

I hold her in very high regard

4. masofs

masofs New Member

:(

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Skate Canada will be lucky to have her.

6. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

You can just tell, even through the TV screen, that Manon is not only a fantastic coach, but a fantastic person. I'll never forget her with Joannie in the KnC in Vancouver.

Good luck with your new endeavours, Manon. :D

7. lise

lise Well-Known Member

I've known for awhile. While she is no longer coaching, she will still be involved in skating. She'll be mentoring other coaches in Quebec with coaching elite skaters to the Olympics to medal (I'm not sure of the official title but it has something to do with that.).

What a wonderful coach and her wisdom and experience will go a long way to helping other coaches develop skaters do as well as Joannie.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That's great to hear guys.

Skate Canada is lucky to be able to use her expertise.

9. ChiquitaBanana

ChiquitaBanana Well-Known Member

Manon is now the spiritual coach of all Quebec ID skaters... and that's a lot of work! ;)

10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Oh my God. Such a good coach, I hardly believe she wants to quit. :(

11. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Je vous souhaite bonne chance pour l'avenir, Manon! Vous êtes un entraîneur formidable et personne! :cheer2:

12. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

Manon doesn't retire completely from skating! She said in a lot of articles this season that she will be an expert coach for Quebec's skating's federation(FPAQ).

Her job is to help athlets and coaches to find easily and financially psychologists, choregraphs, conditioning's coach, etc. She will also do seminars and things like that. It will help a lot the coaches and skaters from Quebec. Good for her!

13. icenut84

icenut84 New Member

Who is going to be Joannie's coach now?

14. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine how difficult coaching would be, with the odd hours and irregular schedule...never mind the travel. You'd have to have such passion to get through it.

I think now Manon would be able to cast her talents over a broader group and in a schedule that is a little more normal. Win win for everyone.

I don't know of Joannie would move over to Annie Barabe. I doubt it. I could see her moving to Toronto like Josee did and hooking up with someone. Would probably have been Orser if not for Yu-Na. I could see her skating with Patrick Chan and taking on a Bourne/Nichol combo for coaching as she transitions half into professional. Depends on where is the best pivot point for her to manage sponsors and travel to where she needs to.

Back to Manon, I'm disappointed to find/read few interviews with her. Her story would be just as interesting in terms of how she handled Joannie in Vancouver, what she said to her and how her role was forced to change from being strictly a coach.

15. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Maybe she doesn't want to tell that "story" to the press.

16. minx

minx New Member

She told it at a coach workshop at the annual meeting in Toronto, from a coach perspective. She's going to be absolutely amazing as a mentor coach working with FPAQ.

17. lise

lise Well-Known Member

Rock2, I think Orser would still be a good idea; Joannie can really benefit skating alongside Yu Na and it would push her to do better. Right now, she's not being pushed at all in her home arena. There isn't anyone else apart from Orser I can think of that would be a better influence unless she returned to Sebastian Britten and Josee Normand.

18. Skateushka

Skateushka Active Member

Why does everybody assume Joannie will keep competing??
    I mean, why should she? Already she has a world silver, Olympic bronze, how much better can it get??

19. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I think Brian Orser would be a great coach for Joannie if she chose to continue on. I didn't see the roster outside of ice dance for the grand prix. Is she staying on? I would love it if she did.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I am sure she is going to retire.

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Good luck to her in whatever she chooses to do in the future.