Manning Up in Pairs

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by skatingpj, Nov 10, 2010.

1. skatingpj

skatingpj New Member

Olympic Bronze and world silver pairs medallists Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy finally enter the GP race at Skate America. We've already seen most of the rest of the field - what will they need to do to get back on top of the world?

If you are willing to have your response quoted on air during the CBC broadcast - please put an OK after your answer - if you would just like to share your opinion - that's great too!

As always - thanks to all of you for sharing your ideas - you have great things to say and I feel fortunate to be allowed to be here! Cheers Pj

2. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Please don't quote me, my comments aren't very nice to the rest of the field...

I don't think Savchenko and Szolkowy will have to do much to overtake the current field in this year’s Grand Prix or Grand Prix Final, not even Pang and Tong were at their best. This may change toward the end of the season but as of right now unless they have a TEB meltdown they will be #1 going into the final and unless Pang and Tong really up their game they should not have to much trouble winning the GPF with P/T in second. They will have more ice time than the rest of the field who are coming off of injuries and quarantine and they are (to my knowledge) healthy, so that will be an advantage at Europeans and Worlds. Pretty thin competition at this point unfortunately.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  3. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Sorry, this is going to be a bit long-winded. Feel free to whittle down as you see fit.

As of this point, even without seeing them yet, S/S are pretty much in a league of their own, along with P/T. The pairs field this GP season is really watered down with all the the injuries and new pairs unable to compete yet. I really don't think they'll have a problem winning SA or TEB, and they have a very strong chance at winning the GPF (in the assumption that they make it).

And looking ahead to non-GP events, Euros should pretty much be in the bag, too, with the only strong competition coming from Kavaguti/Smirnov, should they be healthy enough. Where it will get interesting for them, will be Worlds. We should see the new Russian teams of Volosozhar/Trankov & Mukhortova/Blanchard there. And Zhang/Zhang & Kavaguti/Smirnov will also hopefully be there and be healthy. On paper, all of them have the ability to beat S/S, who have a tendency to wilt a little under the high expectations put upon them.

Of course, we'll have to wait and see if any or all of these Russian teams get named to the team, but chances are very good that we'll see at least 2 out of the 3 teams I mentioned at Worlds.

OK