Manleywoman Skating Podcast #64: Phil Hersh interview

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, May 2, 2013.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

In the latest Manleywoman SkateCast, I interviewed Phil Hersh, the Olympic sports writer for the Chicago Tribune and the Tribune company. I know people here love to rag on him, but I really hope you all listen to this interview. His enthusiasm for the sport is surprisingly infectious, he's frighteningly knowledgeable about skating and music, and he tells some great stories about covering skating. I agree with those who think his coverage of the sport uses an unnecessarily dismissive tone . . . criticism is fine by me, but I think he sometimes makes covering skating sound like a chore . . . which is why I was surprised and impressed by his genuine love for the sport. But I also am thankful he gives the sport the mainstream media attention when it sorely needs it. I loved talking with him in person.

Additionally we cover:

• His opinions on the outcomes of Michelle vs Tara, Nancy vs. Oksana, and SP vs B/S
    • His friendly rivalry with Christine Brennan
    • What he thinks about FSU :p
    • His opinion of Michelle Kwan (spoiler: he's impressed)
    • His thoughts on judging, and Patrick Chan at Worlds 2013

. . . and a whole lot more. We spoke for 90 minutes!

Enjoy the interview! It will also be available via the iTunes Store shortly. Thanks

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  2. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Thanks a lot!! :)

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  3. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

The link doesn't work for me?

ETA: The first link worked. Now I'm going to listen it!

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

5. manleywoman

Fixed the second link. Thanks for the heads up!

One of my favorite parts is his ideas on the judging. A quote:

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I've downloaded the podcast and I'm really looking forward to listening.

7. Clay

Clay Active Member

He gets bonus points for mentioning British judge Vanessa Riley. :lol: That would be a great interview.

8. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

If you want to criticize me, do it under your real name! lol

9. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Fantastic - thank you ever so much!

10. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I'm about half way through the interview, and I gotta say I LIKE this guy! :) He's knowledgeable, passionate, and, yes, a bit blunt, but I like that more than wishy-washy.

11. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Ditto

12. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much! I will listen when I get home from work. What a treat!

13. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Congrats on a wonderful interview. When I noticed the length of the interview I thought I would listen to half of it and come back. But once I started listening the time flew by and at the end I wanted more!

14. dardar1126

Really enjoyed this interview! So nice of Mr. Hersh to give such a long, detailed, and informative chat. I come away from it liking him as a person, and respecting him as a professional. :cool:

15. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Re posting anonymously: Say my real name is Adam LeCleur and I posted under that name-------no one here or Phil would know who the H**L I was. So what is gained.

16. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is true.

I've used the same name on the internet for about 15 years. I've met many people from the internet, and posted videos and pictures of myself. My screenname is linked to my facebook account. Even though most people on here have no idea who I am, I don't consider anything I say to be anonymous, because it can very easily be linked to me.

I thought Phil's interview was excellent. I wish he would have addressed his snarky comments on Twitter a bit more fully. Does he not see how it could be pretty hurtful when he writes a snarky comment about X and tweets @X? That's like sending someone a letter telling them they suck! And he says he uses twitter for networking, to contact athletes.

17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

You be surprised how much personal information about yourself can be found on the internet. Supposed someone was extremely offended by what you wrote. That person through the internet can find out where you live, work, etc. and make it known to the people around you what you've posted, for example. People write a lot of really crazy stuffs on those entertainment pages; I bet they wouldn't be doing that if they were using their real names.

18. manleywoman

Don't forget he gets comments from about 40+ of other sports fans, message boards, facebook, etc. Skating is only one sport he covers. So I imagine he gets a fair percentage of anonymous comments/mail from various places. And he's not going to spend his time researching everyone's real identity.

19. skatesindreams

I believe he loves and respects skating, just as we do.
    Thank you, Mr Hersh.
    Thank you, Allison.

20. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

And his voice was sweet :)

21. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Fun interview. Thanks. Unless I missed something, either a follow-up question, or him clarifying, he said "at the time" he thought :oksana1: had won. Did her change his mind? I did listen to the entire interview but I may have missed something because he tends to go off-course during storytelling. :rofl:

22. dardar1126

My understanding is that he still thinks Oksana won, Christine Brennan thinks Nancy won, and they've had passionate "discussions" over it. ;)

23. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Amazing interview! :40beers: Cheers to you and Phil, I have much more respect for him now after this interview...and that he mentioned us. :cheer: :p

24. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Just listened to the interview and what a great interview it is. What really came across is what a huge fan Phil is of the sport. I also think he was absolutely spot on about COP/IJS. Well said, Phil!

25. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Still too much "IJS is way toooooooooooo HAAAAAAAAAAAARD to understand". :drama:

He also contradicts himself by opining that ice dance judging used to be so predictable and how great it is now that there is movement and then complains that the Shibutanis are marked differently from one year to next. Make up your mind Phil. :p

26. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I knew Phil liked figure skating, but I didn't know just how much until now. My opinion has changed somewhat because of this interview, and I find that I do like him more than what I did in the past. Thank you, manleywoman for sharing this latest interview. It's very much appreciated. :)

27. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I know he said he thought Tara deserved to win and Christine thought (surprise surprise) that Michelle should have won, but I missed that part about arguing over Oksana/ Nancy. I was thrown by his phrase "at the time." Why use that phrase if you still believe it today? Anyway.

28. dardar1126

Now I'm wondering if I got the two stories confused. :confused: Maybe Allison can clarify.

EDIT: Sorry, guess I did confuse them. :slinkaway

29. skatesindreams

He was talking about Tara vs Michelle in the 1998 Olympics.

30. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

I haven't had chance to sit down & listen yet but I can't wait. Have a lot of appreciation & respect for the hard work you do, Allison! :)