Manhattan Hotel suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Jul 3, 2011.

1. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I've somehow gotten myself involved in organising my mother's trip to NYC around Thanksgiving this year and even though I'd warned her about NYC hotel prices, she got a bit of a shock when I told her the nightly rate ($350) for a nice-ish hotel that she had asked me to look up. :lol:

So, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for hotels in Manhattan that are more reasonably priced and comfortable/not grotty in a good location? :)
  2. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

If it's only 1 person, or 2 people sharing 1 bed, try the Priceline bidding/advice forums at http://www.biddingfortravel.com and look up what prevailing Priceline bids for 4* or 5* hotels in midtown or downtown are going for.
    allezfred and (deleted member) like this.
  3. soxxy

soxxy Guest

If your mother isn't into the whole Macy's Day Parade madness, I'd stay away from the West Side of Manhattan, especially that entire route. It's good she's booking early.

Thinking....

What does she want to do? Museums? Theatre?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2011
  4. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

5. allezfred

It doesn't. :shuffle:

What is the name of the hotel and I can look it up? :)
  6. allezfred

She's not going to be in NYC for Thanksgiving itself. She'll be travelling to North Carolina to stay with my uncle and his family.

I'm not too sure what she is going to be doing actually. :eek: She has lived in NYC before so I imagine catching up with old friends mainly.
  7. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

When I go to NYC with my friend, we usually stay at the Washington Jefferson hotel. Clean, nice staff, and really close to Times Square. If your mom is going to be staying for several days, usually you can get better rates/specials.
  8. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Tell me more what about what she wants, the exact dates, how many people, etc.

My database linked to airline reservations is showing over 15 hotels in Manhattan, few near Central Park but mot between Theatre District and Time Square for 180 to 290 USD for 1 room/1 person.
  9. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow New Member

My housemate stayed at the Pennsylvania next to Penn Station in May.
  10. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I stayed there for work in 2007. It was really dumpy and filthy. Hope it has been done over since then. I was there with 5 other work people and noone was happy.

I also have stayed at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square, and the Roosevelt Hotel, not too far from Grant Central. Both can be expensive, but are very nice.

Check out Club Quarters, one in Midtown and one by Rockefeller Plaza. Can be reasonable. Stayed there for work, not sure if you have be a member, like my employer is. Small rooms, but clean, and good locations.
  11. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

12. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Not only that but there's no staff in the hotel at night - at least there didn't used to be.
  13. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

I had sticker shock as well, when I realized how much rack rate in NYC is.

I enjoyed my short stay at the Wyndham Garden Times Square South (there's another location in Chelsea as well). I snagged a decent rate on travelzoo ($185/night), so I'd suggest signing up for their emails.

Very comfy bed, and the bathroom goodies were a good spread.
  14. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I recently stayed at a new Hampton Inn in Soho (Watts Avenue, I think). Reasonably priced (for NYC), VERY nice room, safe location. Also, the room was actually somewhat sizeable, unlike the tiny crackerboxes you often find in NYC.
  15. Quintuple

Quintuple New Member

If you have a friend who happens to have a corporate perk program that includes brands of hotels, that might help a lot.

Somehow, through my sister, I got to stay at the Marriott Marquis smack dab in Times Square (unfortunately to see an aunt off in the hospital). I had never been to NYC as an independent adult, so, it was good to be in such a mainstream area so I could see the typical stuff once. Later, my brother and sister moved just 2 blocks down to the Renaissance, also a Marriott, and as I recall, it was a pretty good price for a very mod hotel.

But since your mom lived in Manhattan ... she might not be into such touristy areas ...

Good luck!
  16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

17. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

I stayed in this Comfort Inn (129 West 46th St, right next to Times Square) in January 2008. I think the rate was around $189 per night (I'm sure it's more around dates like Thanksgiving). I would stay there again. It was clean and quiet, and very close to everything I needed. Small rooms though.
  18. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

It is disgusting. Worst hotel I have EVER stayed in.

Jay and I are in NYC right now, and we always stay in the Park Central on 56th and 7th. You can get great rates (20% off if you stay 5 or more nights), and it has always been clean, quiet, and it has a gorgeous lobby. MANY Europeans stay here, so your mom might like it, too. Just 3 blocks from Central Park, Carnegie Hall is across the street, Lincoln Center is 10 blocks uptown, Times Square is 14 blocks downtown, and the NRQ subway lines are outside the side entrance. LOVE it.
  19. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Chelsea (18th W. 25th Street) last year for a similar price and also had a good experience. The rooms were small, but clean and modern. I believe there was also a breakfast included (but I'm not totally sure). The location is great, very cool and close to several subway lines. I'd stay there again.
  20. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

Best Western President Hotel at Times Square
  21. allezfred

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! :cheer2:

She's on her own. We were looking at dates between 17-29 November. She plans to stay in NYC for a few days after she arrives, go down to North Carolina for Thanksgiving with my uncle's family and then back up to NYC for a few days before she comes home. She mentioned last night to me on the phone that she might travel to Upstate New York near where my grandmother used to live.

My mother, bless her, can be quite particular and fussy. She likes places that are elegant, classy with good service and attention to detail. All of which normally come at a price. :lol:

When she visits Dublin (usually only for a night though), she likes to stay at either The Westbury or The Merrion. Which are obviously not going to be possible in NYC, so maybe some options in or around $200-250 that get as close to that as possible?

She has lived and worked in NYC before and been back many times, so she knows the city well and I didn't get the impression that she'll be doing much sightseeing if any. She loves to walk though.
  22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I've found Travelzoo to be a good source for specials at better hotels in NYC, and elsewhere.
  23. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

We've had good luck with On the Ave (B'way and 77th). Great location (museums, shopping, Central Park) and it's right on the 1/9 if your mom would take the subway. It's a bit more modern than the two Dublin hotels you referenced, though.
  24. KCC

KCC Active Member

I used "vacation rentals by owner" several times, once in NYC, and got a full apartment (with kitchen, laundry, and living room) for less than the cost of a budget hotel. Would recommend at least checking it out. We had five people, so that made more sense for us -- might not be as good a deal for just one or two people.
  25. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

I think a free breakfast is pretty much standard in most hotels, if not all. There was a free breakfast in every single hotel I've stayed in the last 3 years, in different states.

Now I noticed the hotel I stayed in NYC has:
    That might be important for someone coming from abroad who doesn't have a US cell phone.
  26. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Great! Right off the top, based on what you said, I have a strong feeling that if your mother loves Merrion Dublin, then I guarantee you! she will LOVE The Lombardy Hotel. But it is not the price range your request. But let me tell you about it anyway and for the future visits. Then I will have other selections below....:)

The Lombardy is a boutique Hotel, on 56th Street and 5th Avenue, few blocks from the East End Entrance of Central Park, Tiffany’s, Saks Fifth Avenue, and in a very very safe area.

“Lombardy” although a hotel, is not really a hotel, all rooms, including Singles, are small apartments, each decorated by designers in various historic styles (mostly Old World, but some are Modernist, Bauhaus, 60’s Retro, with at least a small kitchenette area, and huge marble covered bathrooms some of which are right out of Milan’s Four Seasons.

Here are some fotos.
    http://www.lombardyhotel.com/photos/index.cfm

The Lobby
    http://excitingny.com/nyhotels/e-lombardyhotel-lobby.jpg
    http://www.lombardyhotel.com/media/images/headerPhotos/history/1.jpg

Here is the main web-site with main foto which does do this hotel any justice.
    For some odd reason the web-site designer chose all the “modern décor” fotos, but in fact most of this property is “Old World/Victorian/Regency style”.
    http://www.lombardyhotel.com/index.cfm

The rates during regular times are $250 USD to $300 USD per night for Single room.

Unfortunately, just before and after Thanksgiving the Single rooms sold out, and they only offering Delux King, which is a small 1.5 room apartment, with a small kitchenette and sitting area, for $ 370 USD. (which maybe not so bad, considering that there are few great delicatessent and world-market grocery stores right around the corner, on 4th Avenue, with fresh food, and ready-made food, salad bars, and hot food sections, and she can eat at the apartment instead of eating out, and save).

I realize this is more expensive than planned, but for a woman her age, given she likes to be safe and luxurious, traveling alone, the Old World comfort of this hotel, the location, and the “home-feel” of an apartment, maybe worth the price for at least few nights.

Just a thought….. Because my mother, who are in the same situation and of the same preferences as your mother (she also likes Merrion Dublin), stays ONLY at The Lombardy after trying out 2-3 other locations in the past 5 years.

Now here are more hotels in the price category you request, but they will not be even close to the atmosphere of Merrion….

Next best thing is

The Belvedere Hotel, 319 W 48th St New York, NY 10036
    (280 USD per day, during week before Nov. 23).
    http://www.belvederehotelnyc.com/
    (If Lombardy is not an option – BOOK THIS ONE)

HOTEL ST. JAMES, 109 W. 45TH ST., New York, NY 10036,
    (230-250 USD per day, during week before Nov. 23).
    http://www.hotelstjames.net/

Amsterdam Court Hotel, 226 W 50th St, NEW YORK, NY 10019
    (280 USD per day, during week before Nov. 23).
    http://www.amsterdamcourthotelnewyork.com/index.asp

The Edison Hotel , 228 W 47th St New York, NY 10036
    (240-260 USD per day, during week before Nov. 23).
    http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/

Let me know if any of these work. That’s as close to Merrion Dublin as I know.
    There are few other hotels, but they are specifically MODERN style, like The Moderne Hotel.
  27. allezfred

Thanks for all the suggestions! :cheer2:
  28. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Mr. Habs and I stayed at the Belvedere a couple of years ago and LOVED it. The room was very large, renovated and clean. Awesome location, great staff... we'd stay there again anytime.
  29. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

allezfred, you should also check this site: http://bedbugregistry.com/

:scream:
  30. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

My parents always like to stay at the Lucerne on West 79th and Amsterdam. It's a nice location and the staff is always helpful. Suites run at about $300-330 a night so I'm sure the smaller rooms are cheaper. Just a warning though: Where ever you go, be prepared to pay more than expected once you check out. They now add on a 25% occupancy tax and 13% tax for somethingorother to your grand total.