Man divorces and successfully sues wife for birthing an ugly child

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Alex Forrest, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

2. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for the baby.
  3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Me, too.
  4. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Most babies look kind of like moles until a few months in. :shuffle:
    Moto Guzzi and (deleted member) like this.
  6. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Yeah this sounds fake to me too. Babies aren't pretty to look at. Their innocence makes them cute if you like babies in the first place. Besides an ugly child can turn into an attractive adult during puberty and vice versa. Attractive parents can have ugly children and vice versa. I think if the baby is born healthy most parents count their blessings. How can a court rule on whether a baby is ugly or not, let alone who is responsible?
  7. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I checked snopes. com but their server was down, so right now there is no way to find out if this story is true.

If it is true, how can a man sue a wife for birthing an ugly child, if he himself was the father? I am puzzled.
  8. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

His argument seems to be that she misled him by not disclosing that her own appearance at the time he married her was a result of extensive cosmetic surgery and not just genetics.

Whether that's a valid cause for a lawsuit is a question for the courts, I guess.
  9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

If this man had a heart, he would have loved his child, regardless of anything else.
  10. woodstock

woodstock New Member

Add in the fact that this is China, and it was a girl child. He might have been slightly more accepting of a son. Either way, I think the wife and daughter are far better off without this jerk in their lives.
  11. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

A friend recently set me up with a friend of hers, which turned out to be the ugliest man I have ever seen in my life. He was so perniciously ugly that I could not look him in the eye for fear of turning to stone.

Can I sue?
  12. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Not in America you can't... ;)
  13. milanessa

Oh, I don't know. There's probably some sleaze bag lawyer that would take it on. Not that it would get anywhere but a suit could be filed.
  14. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Hmm... I want to see a picture of Feng (the self-proclaimed good-looking father).
  15. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Perhaps someone should give this guy a copy of The Ugly Duckling.
  16. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I guess I don't feel that sorry for the woman. She did marry him under false pretenses and obviously had all that work done in order to improve her chances of marrying someone who'd would only consider someone who looked like her new and improve self to be worthy of his hand.

I mean I'm not saying his behavior and attitude is at all acceptable. I also think the woman and baby is way better off without this jerk. That said, he's a superficial, shallow person and it's not as if those people don't exist in the world (especially in the U.S.).

Let's face it, people marry for all sorts of reasons, and people do consider people who they find physically attractive before even going on a date with someone much less procreating. He probably truly felt defrauded by the woman who he'd assume would pass on her "beautiful" genes to his offspring. But when her looks and physical features turned out to be the work of man rather than nature, he probably seriously felt like she sold him goods that she didn't advertise. Marriage deep-down is a contract when you get right down to it.

I also think it's a bit funny people are saying how this wouldn't fly in the U.S. or making all sorts of judgments about the Chinese courts for this decision when the U.S. is the most litigious society in the world at the moment and has seen its fair share of seemingly ridiculous or frivolous lawsuits. I'm not saying it would fly in the U.S., and there may be safeguards against these types of lawsuits, but I wouldn't be surprise if someone can successfully sue another for this sort of thing.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  17. milanessa

And you would be wrong.
  18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Let's face it, life is a lot easier if you are part of the "good looking" set. More than once I have been pasted up at retailers by sales people for service in favour of the pretty young thing that just walked in whie I had been patiently waiting my turn. There was a case in Thailand of a model who died because of an illegal plastic surgery procedure. Just saying that is the way of the world and I can understand the pressures that would drive some people to go to such extremes.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/90308/thailands-pretties-and-the-beauty-to-die-for/
  19. milanessa

The latest data that I could find suggests that it isn't.

http://doelegal.blogspot.com/2011/03/global-litigation-rates-us-is-not.html
  20. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Sure.

That's not the question to ask. The question to ask is, can you sue and WIN.
  21. VIETgrlTerifa

I didn't say someone can successfully sue someone in the U.S., only that I wouldn't be surprised if a lawyer came up with an argument that was successful somewhere in some jurisdiction. There's a difference there.

I actually became really curious about whether there could be arguments made on his behalf in the U.S. so I did some research. Of course, I couldn't find any case that matched up completely to the facts of the Chinese couple, but here is what I did find.

In the case Di Lorenzo v. Di Lorenzo, the court held that:

So, if the man would not have consented to the marriage had he known the extent of cosmetic surgery his wife had undergone, then maybe he could argue that this was a misrepresentation on her part.

Of course, Di Lorenzo dealt with a woman pretending to be carrying the child of the husband and he later realized the baby wasn't his, so that's a lot more understandable.

In Williams v. Williams:

Of course, that dealt with sterility of the husband and him knowing but not disclosing that information to his wife prior to their marriage.

The real question is whether hiding one's true physical appearance and undergoing drastic change is something a partner has a duty to tell the other partner. I think it's arguable.

Now, I know there's a big difference between lying to your partner about whether he is the father of your child or being sterile but not telling your wife until after marriage and not telling your husband that you had cosmetic surgery before you got married and had a child, but the court above did say:

It's hard without knowing the facts about the nature of their relationship before the marriage. Maybe he argued that he relied on the fact that she fit his standard of beauty in order to marry her, and she knew that beforehand and went ahead with the misrepresentation. Plus, he probably is wondering what other things she's lying about. There's certainly a breach of trust there.

She could probably argue that it wasn't in writing that she had to be whatever it is he considered beautiful naturally before he married her. She could also argue that she never promised him a "beautiful" baby whatever that means. It's also horrific public policy if he could sue because his baby wasn't beautiful enough. I think the only leg he was able to stand on was the fact she did misrepresent herself to him.

If I am totally off-base, please let me know. This was just some quick research I did.
  22. VIETgrlTerifa

That's interesting. Thanks for the link. I like that there's something that shows we Americans aren't so sue-crazy after all.

Here's an article that says the something similar with one difference:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielf...ystem-good-at-some-things-wretched-at-others/

Here's the study that the above article talks about.

Here's a legal blog that explains why Americans seem to sue so often comparatively:
    http://www.overtimeattorneyblog.com/2012/03/is-america-becoming-more-litigious/
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  23. Anita18

At least in the US, you have your Scarlett Johanssens and Christina Hendricks along with your Gisele Bündchens. All are considered beautiful. But in Asia, there's only ONE type - large eyes, pale skin, extremely delicate features, teeny frame. If you don't fit it, you just don't make the grade. It's a very, very restrictive mold, and it's the worst kept secret in the world that all the Korean celebrities have had extensive plastic surgery.

I've heard of women in China who can no longer eat solid food because too much bone was shaved from their jaw. And then I have to admit that the jawbone-shaving surgery would be the first thing recommended to me if I wanted to be pretty in China. :shuffle: (Okay, after the eyelid surgery.) But that's my father's jaw - I have my mother's face with my father's jaw! Nope, no such "charming" characteristics on anyone considered pretty in Asia.
  24. mkats

mkats New Member

Yeah, my mom always told us that:

1) No way in hell would she have ever married a man without double eyelids
    2) If either my sister or I had been born without double eyelids, she would've left us at the hospital and refused to take us home.
  25. genegri

genegri Active Member

This story is like BigFoot, popping up from time to time since early '00. I see that it's making the rounds again.

BTW, the original version said the woman won. But I suppose the media found that outcome not sensational enough.
  26. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

So this story is not true? It's on many different legitimate media sources, not the Onion or the like.

It seems hard to imagine, which is why I posted it. Seriously, does anyone else think Melena Trump was probably butt ugly but had extensive plastic surgery to look like she does? I could imagine the Donald suing her for having an ugly baby if it were possible.
  27. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Which part of Asia are you talking about? :confused: Are you talking about East Asia (mainly China, Japan and Korea)?
  28. Anita18

That's....a little bit frightening. :eek:

I was born without double eyelids, but recently one eye has gained them and one eye has not. Makes putting on eyeliner evenly rather difficult. :rofl:

Yes. I'm Chinese myself, so I always forget about India and the SE Asian countries. My apologies! :slinkaway:
  29. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Haha no problem at all :)

There are more varieties with the popularity of pale skin, delicate features and tiny frame in SE Asian countries, but the big eyes thing seems almost universal :slinkaway