Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 possibly shot down in Ukraine (updated)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Jul 17, 2014.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Reports are that a Malaysian 777 has crashed on the Ukraine border. This is an extremely large plane, a newer model, which has had some history of mechanical issues. It is the same model plane, and the same airline, that lost the flight over the South China Sea. However, unconfirmed reports say the plane may have been shot down by rocket fire. Again, unconfirmed.

2. GarrAarghHrumph

Anton Gerashenko, advisor to the Ukrainian interior minister, says that the plane was hit by a missile fired from a Buk launcher - this according to the BBC. This is what a Buk launcher looks like:
    http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/buk-m-missile-launcher-26603247.jpg

The plane was full, carrying 295 people, going from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I just heard on the radio KCBS that the missile seems to have been fired from Russia. The plane was 50 km from the Russian border.

4. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Just heard this awful news on the car radio - now reporting on BBC that the Boeing 777 was on cruise mode at the time, flying at 30,000 feet and that it would have taken a sophisticated weapon to bring it down ie a long range surface to air missile.

Those poor people

5. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Shocking!

6. GarrAarghHrumph

The Russians say that they did not fire this missile. The Ukranians say it was not fired by Ukrainian military. They say it was fired by pro-Russian separatist rebels. The BBC says that "a number of military planes have been shot down by missiles in recent weeks over eastern Ukraine." So perhaps this was the separatists firing on what they thought was a military plane, or perhaps it a foreign civilian plane was deliberately targeted, but that would be very, very :wow:

Reports are that all people on board are dead.

The Buk missile launcher I talked about earlier is sophisticated - it does have radar, for example.

7. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Are the separatists known to have that kind of missile launcher?

8. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

Terrible news.

According to one of my friends in Ukraine, the commander of the so-called Donetsk People's Republic was celebrating shooting down another Ukrainian military plane - which turned out to be the Malaysian Airlines jet. And while the separatists have today denied having the surface to air missiles required to do this, they bragged of having them back in June: http://itar-tass.com/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/1287030

9. GarrAarghHrumph

Yes. An AP reporter had reported that he had seen one that looked very similar to a Buk launcher in the town of Snizhne, in eastern Ukraine, earlier today - Thursday.

10. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I heard a report on the radio yesterday regarding a military plane which was shot down a few days ago and in the report they said that the separatists don't have weapons that sophisticated and that they might have acquired it during a raid of Russian military equipment or where aided/given it. That report also mentioned that they would run out of ammunition sooner or later as they don't have the factories to produce them yet it seems like they don't. They left people to draw their own conclusions.

German news says, it's not yet confirmed that the plane was actually shot down. Either way, I find it a very odd coincidence that it's the same plane and same type of airplane that disappeared just a few months ago :wideeyes: Freaky.

11. GarrAarghHrumph

I saw the link posted to this guy's post about this, but my Ukrainian is too rough, and I wasn't sure if I was reading that correctly. I also could not tell if the post seemed to be genuine, or if it was a fake.

12. Ania

Ania Active Member

Horrible news.

From msn:
    "The military commander of the rebels, a Russian named Igor Strelkov, had written on his social media page shortly before the report of the airliner being downed that his forces had brought down an Antonov An-26 in the same area. It is a turboprop transport plane of a type used by Ukraine's forces."

This seems to confirm the report from Jenya's friend.

13. GarrAarghHrumph

I have already seen people posting conspiracy theories about connections between these two crashes, but I have seen absolutely no actual evidence backing up such claims.

The 777 is one of Boeing's best selling models, and is often use by long distance air carriers, such as Malaysia Airlines. Relative to other large airplanes, it is fuel efficient, which makes it popular for long-haul flights.

14. ballettmaus

Not surprising, is it?

I feel for the Malaysian people! Two similar kind of tragedies in such a short period of time.

15. GarrAarghHrumph

The US has said it will look at its satellite data, and that they should be able to tell if a long-range, surface-to-air missile was fired in this area at this time.

In terms of the capabilities of the separatists, the BBC reports:

The separatists, today, say they have no such capabilities.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  16. skatefan

BBC reporting that Russian Live News channel had reported on rebels boasting that they had downed two aircraft of the Ukrainian Airforce to date, one being the Antonov 26 at a height of 6,500 metres earlier in the week - but have removed that information from their site and Commander of the rebels Igor Estrelkov (Russian citizen organising the pro Russian separatists in the area) has issued a statement saying they did shoot shoot down Ukrainian military transport aircraft in the area where the Malaysian aircraft was flying but they don't have weapons to reach that height, although NATO reporting that such weapons have been seen.

ETA How can anyone boast that they have shot down a plane regardless of who was in it.

17. GarrAarghHrumph

From what I can tell from reports coming out of Malaysia, things are going a bit nuts over there in terms of coverage and social media.

18. ballettmaus

On the German news they just said that there were more than 80 children aboard the flight! :fragile:

Really, really sick people!

19. GarrAarghHrumph

20. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

If this was done by the Rebels, what happens next? This is devastating. Both the tragedy itself and the potential for what it may cause.

21. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

This is horrifying. All those poor people.

22. ballettmaus

I don't think I want to know. ... :scream:

23. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

So sad for all the families of those on board.

Don't even want to think what will happen next in that conflict.

24. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

What an awful event for all the Dutch and Malaysians and whoever else was on board and their families.

If it was rebels and they got the missile launcher from Russia that's more sanctions on Russia for not closing their border or having international observers on the border.

25. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Since you asked....

New Air Chief In Russia Has No Regret On Korean Jet

The KAL 007 incident was first thing I thought of when I heard about today's events.

26. cruisin

There were 20 some Americans on the plane. I am hearing, on the news, that there is some question as to whether rebels shot it down, or the missile actually came from Russia. Also hearing that the Donetsk People's Republic is preventing Ukrainian authorities from accessing the site (with is 9 miles wide). The concern is that the Black Box will go to Moscow and not Kiev.

27. skatefan

I hope there's a special place in hell where people like him go.
    wth is wrong with these people?

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

How common is this route for commercial airlines? Will rerouting be difficult to do?

My heart goes out to all the victims and their loved ones. An awful year for Malaysia.

29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Dreadful news, whatever the circumstances.
    May the innocent victims and their families find peace.

Combatants need to consider such possible consequences before engaging in these "little wars".

30. cruisin

Apparently it is a fairly common route. Lufthansa (and all Star Alliance planes) have been re-routed, as have most other major airlines. American planes have been avoiding that air space for a while.