Major recall of eggs

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, Aug 19, 2010.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

3. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I know some people like their egg yolks runny, but I never have. I rarely eat eggs but when I do they are hardboiled or scrambled or in omlets (throughly cooked)

CDC information

4. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Dipping hash browns or buttered toast into a runny fried egg is one of life's (guilty) pleasures.

mmscfdcsu and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Mmmm, runny eggs.

I'm pretty glad I get my eggs from a small local supplier now. :lol:

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I get mine from a neighbor. Fresh eggs rock!

7. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I thought that's why you aren't supposed to eat raw cookie dough (even though I've been doing it since I was a kid :slinkaway).

Anyway it said one lady got it from eggs in a cobb salad.. I'm assuming that the eggs in that were fully cooked? Having never eaten a cobb salad I don't know lol.

8. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

A lot of chefs are trained to hard boil eggs a little softer than would be considered fully cooked to reduce the sulfur component.

You can buy pasteurized in the shell eggs, which is what I do when I'm making hollandaise or some of the the other dishes that use raw egg without bringing it to a high enough temperature. (I'm a little aghast at how my dad used to throw half a dozen egg yolks into the blender to make the Chrismas egg nog.)

Meanwhile, I buy the cage free organic eggs, and so far none of them has shown up on the recall list.

9. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Evert Cobb salad I've had, the eggs (hard boiled) have been fully cooked. But I heard that many of the recently reported salmonella cases are not necessarily from the contaminated eggs, but are from the "usual" salmonella cases that occur from other foods (every year there are about 40,000 cases reported in the US).

I used to eat raw cookie dough when I was younger, too. I haven't baked cookies in years, so now I'm not tempted, otherwise I probably still would. :slinkaway

10. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Where can you get them? I'd make my own mayonnaise but the raw egg thing makes me :yikes:.