Madonna's new song

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by orbitz, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

I used to be a big fan of Madonna, found many of her videos entertaining and interesting.

Now-days, as far as I am concerned, she lost all her originality. This video is nothing special..

Bad lip-sync. Bad mix of 25 year-old top videos (Mat-Girl, Prayer, Vogue, etc). The worst: Madonna is starting to look like Goldie Hawn’s character after a lip-injection in “First Wives Club”.
    http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1/headlines/2012/02/madonna-give-me-video.jpg?1
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/2/goldiehawnfwc.jpg/sr=1

…. And when her lips are not pumped up, she looks like a poor copy of Faye Dunaway and Betty Davis..

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polop...e.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/image.jpg

http://www.aishamusic.com/Judiciary...a-looking-like-old-version-of-betty-davis.jpg

2. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Ah, how I long for the Good Old Days. :D

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

4. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

5. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

When I watched this video the first time, I didn't even realize MIA was in the video. :lol: I guess I didn't watch that closely.

I don't really know any of Madonna's music (only song I know well is "Ray of Light"), so I have no previous standard to compare it to. I guess because I have no expectations, I really didn't think it was that awful. It's a throwaway, inoffensive pop song with a catchy little hook. If I expected anything, this isn't far from the mark. It's not like it's Susan Boyle up there.

I am surprised by MIA though. Didn't expect her on this type of song.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

These songs make the list because they were all released towards the beginning of the time period. How do you expect a song to make a "best of the decade" list when it was released less than 5 years ago or even just last year? Look at a more recent round up of radio songs and get back to me. I also have constantly spoken of POP and that is what I am referring to. Madonna's airplay is in no way affected by what goes on in country radio and 3 of those songs are by country artists. Who cares if country radio likes playing older artists, Madonna is not a country artist. The other acts are ALL considered HAC/AC staples. None of them are Pop staples anymore. Guess the average age of Pop radio listeners compared to country/HAC/AC.

P.S. I am rounding up the ages of all the singers/lead singers and so far Kroeger (lead singer of Nickelback) was in his 20's when the song was released. The lead singer of Lifehouse was in his lower 20s! I can't find the age of the lead singer of 3 Doors Down but what do you know, their song was released in 2001. I am willing to bet he was in his 20's as well. Womack and Hill were not in their 20's but again, country. Train lead singer appears to be in his 30's upon released but what do you know, the song released in 2001. So what did you do? You found a list of the biggest hits of 2001 that continued to get radio play throughout the decade. It says absolutely NOTHING of which you claim.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

This is not a "best of" list (obviously, if Nickelback is included). This is a list of the songs that got played the most on radio over the past 10 years, with all genres included. Yes, a song that got released more recently would have less chance of making that list, but that's not the point. If radio has the age bias that you claim, this list would be full of younger artists (since presumably the older artists wouldn't get played often enough to be on the list at all) - and it's not.

On another note, I'm actually surprised that some of the bigger selling artists with long careers over the past couple of decades, like Madonna and Michael Jackson, are not on this list at all. Nickelback must be getting played way too often.

8. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Heard the song. Wouldn't change the radio station if the song came on, but wouldn't purchase it either.

If I was her, I would do the same thing because it takes a paradigm shift for her to reach a young audience, so she has to research with somebody with experience. There are certain things that are universal about life, like on again-off again dating relationships, etc, but in her day, girls waited by the phone, tied up the phone, dreamed of having a phone in their room for privacy . . . Now, girls have cellphones, text, IM, Facebook, etc, that can go anywhere. Navigating life as a young person is very different now than in the past.

She does know . . . so does every name brand company turning out homogenous products. Madonna is producing homogeneous pop music that is Madonna brand like Procter & Gamble is producing homogeneous soap that is Ivory brand. People buy more expensive Ivory soap because it is "f*cking" Ivory.

:shuffle: I'm not certain that she would be insulted to be compared to either of those ladies.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  9. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Being shot multiple times in the chest by a tommy-gun and then being beheaded with a baseball bat is showing men as "sexual objects"? :confused: No... it's gratuitous violence. If one thinks that's "sexual", I don't know what to say :confused:

-Bridget

10. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't think it's horrible. I don't care for this type of music, but it seems like it would fit in with most mainstream pop today. Also, IMO she's looking the best she has in recent years.

11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

She looks great in the video but it's also due in large part to makeup, lighting, digital photo-shopping, etc. Madonna's face in the video looks different than when she's photographed on the red carpet - it's very smoothed out.

12. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

And, imo, if anyone's a "sexual object" in this vid, it's Madge. Shooting and beheading is not making the football players "sexual objects"; it's just violence for violence's sake.

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The list is full of songs released from 2001. Of the artists who are NOT country, at least 3 of them are IN THEIR 20'S!!!!! That leaves only 1 group who was not in their 20's. Really proving your point...:rolleyes:

14. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

I'm surprised you guys could see her face at all. It's never on the screen long enough to have a good look, and when it is it's so out of focus it's pathetic. That's what one calls filming through a sock.

15. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

IMO, it's not even as good as Rebecca Black's Friday. Don't luv it.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The lip-synching couldn't be any more obvious in Madonna's Super Bowl performance. Great show but... :blah:

She might have a concert at the new stadium in Wroclaw this year but I don't think I am willing to spend a huge amount of money to see her lip-synch, regardless of how impressive the staging is. :rolleyes:

And performing together with the LFMAO cretins is stooping very low. :/

None of those are young and hip.

M.I.A. on the other hand totally oozes that. Her new video is just :swoon:.

Being carried by men, walking all over them, etc.

No it isn't. It's about being in control. And violence and sex are very much intertwined.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  17. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I hate her new song but I think she did a great job for the halftime performance. :shuffle: It was entertaining, and yeah she was lip-syncing at some points, but she had to do some dancing so that's not surprising. I would never pay $300 to go see her live, but she knows how to put on a good show.

18. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Which is why I was glad to have seen her back in 1992 for $30.

19. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

They certainly were at the time she worked with them, if you would bother to find out anything about them.

20. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Madonna's SB show was pretty cool, but - yeh - lip synched. (In her defense, due to technical and time challenges most all are.)

Did you catch RuPaul's :lol: tweet to Madonna, pre-Super Bowl?

Madonna, the time has come for U to ...

If you're not a RuPaul's Drag Race viewer, that's the line that comes at the end of every episode.

21. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Only two of those artists were in their early 20s, the rest were 27 and older. Nielsen scans all stations not just country and BTW, the the "country" songs were played so heavily on mainstream pop stations it launch Faith Hill to a new fan base that she would not have otherwise enjoyed and still does.

It really had nothing to do with age, Madonna's new song sucks, no matter if a 53 year old is singing it dancing around with pom-poms or Katy Perry, the song is just bad.

I wish she would have sung Ray of Light, I think with the screens on the floor it would have looked and sounded really cool.

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Madonna usually sings live for at least 90% of her concert.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's one thing to be accomplished in the music industry and it's another thing to be recognised, seen as edgy and cool, etc. by Madonna's target audience.

Justin Timberlake and Nicki Minaj have both sold a lot of records and are/were seen as quite hip.

M.I.A. is edgy and loved by the indie crowd.

:rofl:

Ok, in this case I might maybe desist from eating for three months and shell out a huge amount of money to see her live. :shuffle:

24. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Madonna is one of the few pop singers who does sing live with all the dancing she does. Which is why her lip-synching bothered me last night.

I still think Springsteen and The Who had the best half-time shows of recent years. Even with diminished vocal ability, they really did a great job - and they sung live!

25. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I'm a fan. And yet I don't like her new song and didn't like the show. Which is unfortunate because even when I didn't like the songs, I've always loved the shows.

This time:
    • she visibly struggled with her balance during her developpe in Vogue;
    • she tripped at the beginning of Music (while trying to climb a bench);
    • the lip-synching was either badly done or looked so since we're not used to see Madonna do it;
    • the vocal was shy;
    • she lacked energy overall in a was I've never noticed before.

She does! That's why I think she must be disappointed too. Also, that couldn't be unforseen for someone as experienced as she is: why did she accept the gig if she couldn't pull it off? - Money's not enough of a reason. Madonna has always been all about money, as long as the job was well done.

Agreed.

Second that.

Do you guys remember her Live Earth back in 2007?
    That one was amazing.
    Ray of Light
    Hung Up
    La Isla Bonita
    All the other songs too that day were incredible!
    Choreograpies were smart, costumes well designed, songs well chosen, dancers were cool, she moved and sung like she was 20, she was as beautiful as she ever got - and her developpe during Hung Up was catchy.

26. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Agree. It is just a bad song.

27. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Keep in mind that she may have been lip sycing perfectly, but the audio traveling to the camera was a few seconds off. When I saw Michael Jackson in concert ages ago, I was sitting waaaay back. His lips moving on screen did not match what I was hearing by the time the sound got to me.

28. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Which Madonna should've taken into account.

I'm sorry: I don't mean to make my point at all costs, it's just that however you spin this, it doesn't look good.

29. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

But their dance routines were utterly horrid!!! :yikes: :scream:

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  30. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Madonna admitted she was nervous doing this. When an artist do a concert tour, he has mutliple opportunities to work out the kinks the first month or so of touring, and someone of Madonna status would've had full control over every aspect of the concert. The Super Bowl was a once-only chance for Madonna to pull it off in an evironment where she was not in complete control. Sure the whole thing could've been better, but she did the best that she could at that moment in time.

I'm sure Elton and his hubby probably had a field day watching it though :lol:.

julieann and (deleted member) like this.