Madonna's new song

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by orbitz, Feb 3, 2012.

1. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Madonna's video for "Give Me All Your Luvin".

Um...I don't know. It sounds so generic. The song feels like it could be from any of today's wannabes. What do you guys think?
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

It is horrible. I was thinking about it earlier and Madonna doesn't have the best or strongest voice but she used to do material in her prime that allowed her to use her voice to its potential. Think about any of her classic songs. She may not sing with a large range or anything but she puts all she has into the vocals and there is "oopmh" behind them. Then listen to this. It sounds like it belongs on KidzBopz or whatever the hell that is called. It sounds like she doesn't give a damn at all and is just chanting along to the melody.
  3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

the song and the video reminded me of something gwen stefani would have made for a b side in 2004
  4. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

No one needs talent these days to have a hit. She's never had much anyway - why not go along with the flow to continue to get herself the publicity to which she's been addicted for years?
  5. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

:shuffle: I like it. I just watched the video with a friend, and we both thought it was fun. It didn't feel very 2012, definitely reminded me of the 80s, but it was catchy in its own way. It'll be fun to see her and Nicki Minaj perform it at the Superbowl.
  6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Ita...I think this would go well with muppets. I hope she uses older material at the Superbowl.
  7. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Crosses?? Marilyn Monroe?? Slutty wedding dresses???

Didn't we see this all 25 years ago when Madonna did it? This chick is nothing but a cheap Madonna rip-off!

Oh, wait....
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think Madonna will do 3 old songs and this one new song for the Super Bowl. Madonna's past songs, with some rare exceptions, usually have a distinctive feel to them. This new song feels like she's trying to keep up with what's current instead of being herself or making something new. I've never listened to a song from Niki M'jai, but my guess is this is the type of song Niki would sing, and Madonna is trying to copy that sound. Maybe the new album will have something else better on it. For now I'll stick to listening to old Madge like "Dress You Up" and "Into The Groove".
  9. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

She'll definitely do this new song, as it's already been announced that Nikki Minaj and MIA will perform with her (they're both in the video linked above).

Now if it was just MIA performing, that would be sick!
  10. shah

shah Well-Known Member

boo, what a disappointment! the vid is so much better than the song...
    anyway, Madonna looks v. good in it!
  11. Mayra

Mayra New Member

I heard this song on the radio and thought it was Avril Lavigne. :eek:
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

Horrible. :scream: (And I say that as someone who usually likes Madonna's music.)
  13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

You think it sounds that good??? (This is Madonna's worst song ever...can't think of one that comes close to being this bad... :wuzrobbed)
    BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

When I heard it for the first time, I thought it was absolutely awful.

The second time... I was dancing all around the room.

I love it. It's perfect cheesy bubblegum pop. Very immediate, great for a party.

It'll probably be a huge hit.

(Yes, it's a shit song but come on. We're talking about Madonna, not Bon Iver)
  15. BigB08822

The question for me is: Do people want to hear "perfect cheesy bubblegum pop" from a 50 year old? Or better yet, does radio want to play that music from someone of that age? I doubt it. I think it will get decent early play and then fizzle quickly. If she wants to get play on mainstream top 40 radio then she needs to do something DRASTIC, not try to fit in with the 20 yr olds. Madonna used to be known as reinventing herself, now she released a song that sounds like an Avril Lavigne reject and threw in some young hip artists to give her more cred. 25 years ago I bet Madonna would have cringed at the idea of ever doing something like this.
  16. VALuvsMKwan

What the hell is she supposed to do - rap (oh, she tried to do a "cool" version of that in "Vogue" - stealing from black drag queens. Marlene Dietrich and George Hurrell the Hollywood photographer at the same time)?

She borrowed from ABBA (with Benny and Bjorn's permission) with "Hung Up" and used Dance Dance Revolution very recently - so she has had success with associating her with much younger people and their cultural style and icons.

And in terms of fitting in the 20-year-olds - that may be old in terms of whose today's music is being marketed to.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Big, don't be ageist. ;)
  18. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

I don't think about a singer's age when I'm listening to music; I just listen to the music. And as far as Madonna's age is concerned, I thought Confessions on a Dance Floor was pretty relevant and had some really good pop songs (Hung Up, Sorry, How High), and Madonna was what - like 45? - when she made that album. So for me, 45, 50+ - there's not much difference. The bigger issue is whether the music is compelling, and in the case of this song, I would say no.
  19. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I hated this song when I first heard it. Now, I'm humming it and singing along. I think this will be like "4 Minutes" which I wasn't too keen on, but that ended up being one of the lesser songs on her Hard Candy album. It's already no. 1 on iTunes so I guess she hit the mark there. I think Madonna's songs really aren't radio-friendly any more since they are more dance hits, so maybe she's banking on a mainstream pop hit. Let's face it, radio-friendly music isn't daring any more. I'm hoping the William Orbit produced tracks (who did her Ray of Light album) are more substantative. As a Madonna fan, I hope Interscope gives this album more promotion and back-up than Warner Bros. did with Hard Candy which seemed like they just dropped it after they made tons of money off of 4 Minutes. At least she looks good, and the trio look like they had tons of fun doing the video. Plus, she probably wanted to do a simple cheerleader chant song for her Superbowl performance. I'd be worried if the whole album was like this.
  20. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I hate it! I did love Ray of Light so I don't think she can't do dance/pop but this song misses the mark big time.

I hope the halftime isn't a big disappointment but hope aren't high.
  21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I looked at the album's playlist on itune. It has a song called "Girls Gone Wild" and another one called "Gang Bang" :eek::scream:
  22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well, singing "girl" about herself given her age is kind of ridiculous, I have to admit. ;)

Martin Solveig wrote the songs for this album so it probably is. :saint:
  23. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

I like it :shuffle:. Definitely not one of Madonna's best, but it's catchy and danceable.
  24. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Shame. She has made some fabulous stuff but this is just fluff. And why does she need "feature" artists in it?
  25. BigB08822

Because when was the last time a 50+ year old had a solo hit on Pop radio? It is her only hope for big radio play and sales.
  26. BigB08822

The album is #1 based on pre-orders. The song is still at #11 and it clearly is not going to be breaking sales records if it can't get into the top 10 after a big premiere and radio stations every where playing the song every hour on the hour. Not that it had to break records but people thought it had a chance to debut at #1 with only 3 days of sales. :lol:
  27. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

It's been scientifically proven that any song featuring Nicki Minaj is absolutely brilliant.

You can't argue with science.
  28. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

29. VALuvsMKwan

Cher with "Believe" (who, much as I love her, really started the whole insanity of "style" in production that is autotuning from what I can tell)?

I don't particularly care for Madonna, as you may have guessed from comments, but she has tremendous clout in the industry still and really doesn't need to be as bad or dumbed-down or obviously autotuned as the vast majority of male/female/whatever recording artists today IMHO in order to get play or sales.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  30. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I don't mind the song but the video looks like an outtake from GLEE. where they incorporate visual elements from an artist's entire career in one song, yeah?

MIA looks completely bored :lol:
  31. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

The production on it sounds completely half-assed. It's like she knows she can churn out whatever crap she wants and people will still eat it up because she's f*cking Madonna.
    And I felt embarrassed for MIA, her own material is 10X times better than this sh*t.
    As for Nicki Minaj...meh.
  32. Aussie Willy

Well she could do something decent. That might ensure some records sales and airplay.

Oh wait most commercial pop music is crap anyway so it wouldn't matter.
  33. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Geezus, enough with the "she's 50 so who is going to listen to her" stuff.

I don't have an opinion one way or another on her new song, but why don't you try listening to the song and not worrying about her age? I don't see anyone condemning the cr*p made by Katy Perry, Ke$ha, et al, just because of how old or young they are.
  34. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Really? I'll listen/watch again but I think it is awful. I know vocally her range is limited but she could have done so much better than this. But kudo's to her on her fitness--amazing that she is 50+.
  35. BigB08822

Calm down. I am talking from a purely business stand point. I don't care if she is 8000 years old. Radio does. Look at the charts and see how many solo artists have had hits after the age of 30, then 40, and then 50. It is ASTONISHING the sudden drop off. Don't shoot the messenger.

And you pretty much proved my point by mentioning the crap by other artists. It sells even though it is crap. They can get away with it by being hip, sexy and YOUNG. It is the business. Sex sells but YOUTH sells even more. A combination of the two is unbeatable.
  36. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

I just wonder what these songs will be about?:yikes:

I actually saw this new Madonna's video yesterday for the first time on one of the French music TV channels and I remembered at once the interesting episode which happened when I was studying at the University.

We were discussing the new videos we saw (and it was just when Bedtime Story was released) and one girl said: "Did you see that new video.... erm.... I forgot the name.... well, it's where Madonna is lying on a bed of some kind....?" And there was an immediate response from several people at once: "Can you give us the videos where Madonna isn't lying on the bed of some kind?":D

So, after seeing the new video yesterday I came to the conclusion that Madonna finally completely switched from accentuating, well, her upper body to accentuating her thighs - it seems like I saw them in almost every video from her Confessions album.

As to the song itself - I had a dejavu - I thought this was her new song from her Confessions album, not the new one, it sounded essentially the same for me. And I do think that at least half of the French songs on that channel sound much better than this one.

I'm really disappointed. Ray of Light was probably the last Madonna's album that I really liked. And the last song that I liked was Die Another Day, which was later. Since then - nothing of interest for me personally.
  37. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

Yes, I agree. But she is not the only one here. Mylene Farmer is also 50 and she also looks gorgeous :)
  38. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'm just going to say it. American Life (the album and the song and especially the original video) is extremely underrated. I think it was the last album she made with true introspection and trying to really branch out as an artist. It was a good time for her since she was coming off a personal unprecedwntes time of commerical AND critical accolades due to Ray of Light and Music. I think the critical and commercial failure of American Life just ruined that direction. Not that Confessions on a Dance Floor and Hard Candy didn't have interesting material and it did have some fabulous and even dark tracks, I just think she just decided to play it safe and allow herself to not be so serious. I'm going to wait until I hear the rest of album before I make a rash judgment regarding the direction of her music. Worst comes to worst, her next CD will no doubt go in a different direction if past history shows us anything.
  39. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The most played songs on US radio in the past decade:

1. Nickelback, How You Remind Me
    2. Train, Drops of Jupiter
    3. Lifehouse, Hanging By a Moment
    4. Faith Hill, Breathe
    5. 3 Doors Down, Kryptonite
    6. Faith Hill, The Way You Love Me
    7. Lee Ann Womack, I Hope You Dance
    (source: http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2009-12-08-musicdecade08_TB_N.htm)

So after you get over being depressed....I don't see a lot of people in their 20s on this list. Radio isn't as age-conscious as you might think.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  40. Aussie Willy