Madonna May Perform Halftime at Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, Oct 3, 2011.

1. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Was being reported on ESPN but no confirmation by Madonna's camp. She'll have to dress appropriately for the event. Don't need a wardrobe issue.

Madonna's Super Bowl
  2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Halftime is always when I clean up a little and put out new food - so sad I'll miss it. :cool:
  3. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

Another good reason to not watch.
  4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

It would be fun to see her, and I'm sure she would put on a great show. But the best Super Bowl shows have been by more mainstream rock acts, e.g. Springsteen, the Who, Prince. Acts that are more toward dance music, like the Black Eyed Peas last year, don't seem to do as well. Now I would be the first to say that Madonna >>>>>>> BEPs, but I don't really think Madonna really has the kind of music that would go over that big with partying football fans.
  5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

When did halftime at the Super Bowl become an AARP event? It has been the same thing the last few years. I thought the Super Bowl, like any other television event, wanted those 18-whatever demographics. Well past their prime 50+ aged musicians don't seem to fit the bill.
  6. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Nothing against Madonna at all, but I can only think of maybe one song per decade that might be performable for a general audience.
  7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Really? I can think of tons. As far as whether or not the act can entertain and put on a good show, the Superbowl could do far worse than the solo artist with the highest selling tour of all time (happened in 2008-2009).

I think if Madonna does it, it'll make sense as she's releasing her 12th Album in early 2012 and she'll probably have a lead-up single to promote the album before release.
  8. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

in a related note, they will be moving it to 3 PM so no one has to stay up too late
  9. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

Perform? You mean she's not going to sing?
  10. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Would you prefer Lady Gaga? ;)
  11. VIETgrlTerifa

In that case, Madonna can sing "Express Yourself" and the really young watchers will think she's covering "Born This Way." ;)
  12. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

How about Madonna covering Lady Gaga :confused:
  13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I don't actually mind Madonna. I was just making an observation about who they have been choosing the last few years. I would rather watch Simon and Garfunkel than the Black Eyed Peas but it doesn't mean I understand the decision from a ratings/audience perspective. :lol:
  14. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

Your comment reminds me of the complaining over the years during Grammy/American Music Awards time about all the "old" people invited, performing and receiving awards. Maybe it's the fact that many of the older acts are the ones with talent and staying power while most of the younger crowd are mostly image/PR dependent. Also to be fair, todays audiences seem much more fickle and into who's in and who's out. Seems to me most of the newer acts are designed to hit really quickly while they are the current "it" performer before the next "it" person comes along. Of course there are exceptions.

Of course this is IMO.

Not the biggest Madonna fan but it's not her songs that aren't suitable for a general audience, it's mostly the way she chose to present those songs on stage and in videos that rendered them racy. These days most of the younger performers are trying to keep in the spotlight so seem to be trying to outdo each other on how controversial and provocative their performances are. Rihanna for example is even worse than Madonna in that respect.
  15. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Well, she can't be any worse than the Black Eyed Peas.

I'd like to see Arcade Fire do the halftime show, but I guess they're not a big enough name even if they won the grammy for best album last year. Or Foo Fighters might be a good choice since they have a new album out and they have a balance between having been around a while, but not being totally geriatric.

The last good SB halftime show I remember was Prince from 2007 I think it was. BEP were an embarrassment as well as The Who. They are of course a legendary band, but the halftime performance was pathetic.

When Janet Jackson's nipple came out.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  16. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Madonna :yawn: -

Now, if they got Rammstein to perform during halftime, I'd be glued to the TV. THAT's a band that would get the crowd fired up, so to speak :rofl: :p .
  17. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

coughBruceSpringsteencough
  18. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

In the 70s the halftime event used to be marching bands. Those were the days. :cool:
  19. VIETgrlTerifa

The Superbowl history according to The Simpsons, there was the wedding of Pacman and Ms. Pacman some time in the early 80s. Their post-ceremony song was Olivia Newton-John's "Physical"!
  20. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I wonder if Super Bowl fans will have trouble understanding Madonna's British accent?
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

It's great that the remote control can turn the channel with very little effort from me.
  22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:rofl:
  23. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

That's true now that you mention it. It was McCartney the following year and old folks every year after until the Peas last time.

Madonna knows how to put on a good show. I think she'll do fine. It's rather surprising that she's never done it before.
  24. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

If we are going to have AARP acts, I wouldn't mind a little Bon Jovi with a side of Huey Lewis and the News. :p

I love 80's music. I wouldn't mind Madonna if she does her big 80's hits minus the rauchiness. :yikes:
  25. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Ugh. I'm still pissed about that. Justin Timberlake ripped off Janets shirt, and Janet got the heat and blame for it.
  26. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Bon Jovi would be awesome!!!!
  27. VIETgrlTerifa

It's official! And she's bringing Nicki Minaj and MIA with her. Madonna will be smart to perform a classic or two as well.