Madison Chock and Evan Bates article

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

2. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Mysliveckova/Novak.

4. Libertango

Libertango New Member

IIRC, Madison actually said that it was not a surprise for her at all :rolleyes:

So Keiffer Hubbell had a try out with Madison Chock too in a addition to the one with Emily Samuelson. I thought he wanted to retire because of his recurring injuries but I guess that he changed his mind.

5. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Yeah, she did say earlier this summer that she knew he was unhappy and she wasn't surprised. I think she would have dumped him after Worlds anyway, regardless of whether or not he wanted to continue in the sport.

You can tell that Chock/Bates and those around them have been paying close attention to the way the Yankowskas/Coughlin/Denney situation was mishandled, and are trying to get their preferred version of the story out clearly.

I don't buy it, but I do wish them well. I think Chock/Bates will have more of a Tanith/Ben kind of look (gorgeous girl, nerdy guy). It might work for them.

6. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Ben Agosto a nerdy guy???
    Them's fightin words...

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Conga

Conga New Member

^^^^^

8. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

Tanith's face could launch a thousand ships. Ben's a looker but everyone looks like a nerd in comparison to her. :D

9. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Ben helped Tanith be a better Ice Dancer. I hope Evan can do the same for Madison.

10. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

When I interviewed them, Madison told me that she was surprised that he decided to quit. She did know that he was unhappy, but everyone thought he would continue for one more season. It was in this issue: http://www.ifsmagazine.com/issues/201110

11. skatingfan26

skatingfan26 New Member

I found those two quotes of Shpilband very interesting:

Wonder if Shpilband would have prefered another partner for Madison?

12. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ there is not much else out there unless he broke up more of his own teams.

13. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Sounds lile might have wanted her with Keiffer. But sounds like he's supporting her decision.

14. Conga

Conga New Member

Well, if Igor wanted Chock with a different partner, I wonder who he wanted Bates to team up with? Did Bates try out with Gilles? Maybe he would have preferred she not go off to Canada;) That would have given the Canton camp one more team, too! In addition to Samuelson/Gilles who might end up there...

15. bek

bek Guest

I don't think Igor's we must support the skaters means that he was necessarily against this pairing. It may mean that he doesn't want to sound like he was all for Emily/Evan breaking up.

16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I agree with this. He may have wanted Evan to stay with Emily and Madison to find someone else (I guess Keiffer or Colin). I guess Keiffer is really not skating at all this season.

17. bek

bek Guest

Your missing my point. Even if Igor wanted Evan to go with Madison. He may not want to make it seem like publically he was pushing for a talented team like Bates/Samuelson to break up. It may be that Igor saw the pros and cons of both sides too.

18. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

No, I got your point, that could very well be so, I was just suggesting another alternative view.

19. CoralReef

CoralReef Member

I think Igor likes to orchestrate the pairings in Canton and I also think he believed Chock & Hubbell would have been a better partnership. I'm kind of disappointed that she didn't choose Hubbell, but I guess the proof will be in the pudding. I am really not sold on Chock & Bates though and kind of more excited to see Samuelson & Gilles.

20. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Someday they need to get all these skaters on the ice for an exhibition to Change Partners (and Dance With Me).

21. Conga

Conga New Member

:rofl: Love the idea!

22. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:rofl: Or Huey Lewis's "Happy to be Stuck with You."