Madge Syers, The Worlds First Ladies Olympic Figure Skating Champion

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Simone411, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

This was an article in my RSS feed on my homepage. The article is by Jo Ann Schneider Farris at About.com. It's an interesting read, and I learned some things that I never knew.

Madge Syers was the first woman that competed against men at the 1902 World Figure Skating Championships. There wasn't any rules in 1902 that stated women couldn't compete against men. It brought about the "womens only" that was added after she competed because it was decided that judges couldn't fairly judge or compare women and men skaters.

http://figureskating.about.com/od/o...st-Ladies-Olympic-Figure-Skating-Champion.htm

I bet it would be pretty interesting if the rules hadn't changed and women could still compete against men. It's just a thought, but I believe not so far-fetched. The only hold back I could see is women trying to do the Quad. Men might have to add a few more moves and spins like the Ina Bauer, the Biellman spin/spiral, and the spiral, etc., but that wouldn't be much of a problem. :cool:

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  2. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

They only let her skate to make a fool out of her and thwart any silly women from the notion that they could compete like men. The joke was on them. Had she not been the superstar she was, eventually the sport would have opened up for women, certainly by the post WWI flapper era and lord knows Henie was a force that wasn't going to be denied.

Anyone know what she died of so young?

3. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

from her Oxford DNB entry:

4. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Thank you

5. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Well, you're certainly right about the joke being on them, and I'm glad she did have the opportunity to compete and show them. :)

6. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

In the USA and Canada a majority of the men in singles would, if given the choice, rather be competing to be the best lady!

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks for the input. :rofl:

8. care bear

care bear Active Member

As far as I remember she won bronze with her husbund Edgar in pairs at Olympics 1908. She is the only skater with olympic medals in singles and pairs at the same Olympics.