Made on MTV

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by smileyskate, May 2, 2010.

1. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

The Made into a figure skater 3 is on MTV now.
    It is the Detroit high school senior who is going to train with Craig Joeright. They showed him doing a death spiral with his wife (I think-they didn't say).

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Yeah...catching this right now. A little stupid if you ask me. I doubt that skaters who go to school spend their days randomly doing jumps in the hallway and cafeteria. Can't imagine that Rachael Flatt stops during passing period to do a triple jump in the hall.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Is this the 3rd or 4th made with a figure skater? I always think it's fun to watch how they teach them.

4. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I think her attitude and respect is poor. I know she felt embarrassed but this is the first Made I have seen where the teen totally runs off and refuses to perfom in front of others (this was at her school). If you sign up you should play the game. I don't know if it is just editing or what but it takes some nerve to behave like that (regarding her coach and her job) especially with the cameras on you.

5. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

So there are more made episodes where the subject is trained to become a figure skater? :) I saw one a couple of years ago, it was funny because I was at the WCH in Göteborg when MTV aired that episode and I watched it there when I went home from the arena. :)

6. PDilemma

She's not completely responsible, but in a real athlete-coach relationship, it should not be the coach's business whether the athlete goes to student council or anything else aside from showing up and working at lessons. Joeright seems to be a bit of an ass. And, again, I highly doubt that any part of a Rachael Flatt's or Emily Hughes' training involved performing jumps in the school cafeteria (two skaters who attended high school while training). That's a dumb stunt for television and surely won't attract students for Joeright.

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'm embarassed to admit I've seen this show enough to know there's usually some silly assignment that creates all sorts of teen angst, so I doubt that was Craig's idea. There's always some storyline about a teen overcoming their personal limitations to accomplish something nobody thinks they can. Overall, I thought Craig came off like a nice guy.

It was great to see Michelle again and I liked how even though she taught her some skating moves, she was mainly talking to the girl about the importance of school and facing a challenge.

I don't know how many skating versions of Made there have been, but I do recall one where Sasha made an appearance.

8. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

I absolutely love Craig Joeright, even more so after this show. I think it's important to remember that a) Craig is not working with a Rachael Flatt, he's working with a girl who wants to learn to figure skating and perform in six weeks and b) Almost everyone on Made has to perform "dumb" tasks in the hallway, cafeteria, etc., because they're usually shy kids who need to come out of their shell. I thought Craig was great! He instilled some confidence in her eventually and also taught her how to be respectful and responsible. Maybe Tom Z. doesn't tell Rachael to do her homework but he does probably make sure she's keeping up with her responsibilities like going to the gym, going to her AT&T autograph sessions, etc. It's not exactly fair to compare Rachael and her situation to this girl and hers. Completely different with only skating and school in common.

9. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I hope it comes on again soon. I had no idea they were doing another one.

This is like the third of fourth figure skating made. There was one with Sasha and another with Oksana Baiul. My favorite one so far had to be the popular high school jock/scholar who wanted to fulfill his lifelong dream of being a skater. He seemed totally into it no matter what anyone thought of him. The others that got Made into skaters were either pretty lazy or drama queens. I'm sure a lot of it is fake, but still annoying none the less.

10. PDilemma

If MTV is purporting to show the kid involved and the viewers the real experience of a figure skater, then they need to keep it realistic. That was my point. I was not implying that the little drama queen on there was going to be Rachael Flatt. Just that the depiction of training was not realistic at all and part of it was downright ridiculous. And for someone who was probably quite handsomely compensated for appearing on the show, Joeright acted a bit like an ass. I'm sure that MTV paid him, Larissa and the rink very well for his "wasted" time when she was late for a lesson; his diva tantrum was a bit over the top all things considered.

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Do you watch MADE? Or did you just watch this episode?
    "Coach has a fit" is a standard in every episode I've seen.

12. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

He didn't act unlike any coach I've seen who had a student two-hours late for a private lesson. It shouldn't matter that MTV was paying him (trust me, if the figure skater was paying, they would still have to pay even if she never showed up). Heck, my parents have reacted worse to being late 30 minutes on a Saturday night. :) It was kind of the principle of the matter I think. I didn't think it was being too dramatic. What would you say? "Oh, I'm sorry you're two hours late to a two hour lesson. Let me give you a hug and then let me stretch this two hour thing into five hours. I understand! Being two hours late without calling is completely fine." Yah right.

13. southernskater

southernskater New Member

I've always wanted to know if the people on made continue with skating. There was one episode where the girl's mother died and she loved figure skating so she was doing the show for her mom. She was very talented she had a shaky single toe loop in her program which was much more than the other girl that I saw on made. She acted like a brat, they signed her up for ballet, got her all things she would need and she walked out of the class. This one isn't up on MTV.com yet, but I can't wait to see it!

14. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I'm sure MTV was paying them both as well, but I think the point of the "tantrum" was so she would learn to be more responsible and accountable for her actions and some people just need a good yelling at to get it through their heads. She certainly did. Most skating coaches would be pretty PO'ed if a student was that late for a lesson. The fact they were getting paid regardless was irrelevant in this case.

15. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I have seen a lot of the Mades, and I get really ticked off at the ones like this girl who don't want to put the work in and whine. I understand fear, but she didn't seem fearful of the skating aspects (rollerblading to school, that took guts, I'd be scared and I'm a figure skater, LOL), she just seemed overall disorganized.

OTOH Craig must have spent some time with her, as she had some pretty good basic skills for such a short time. Her waltz jump and spiral were very nice, and her two-foot spin was nice in the practice clip (though a wee wobbly in the program itself). I can't imagine the nerves and kudos to her for going through with that, the TRULY hard part of skating, going out there on the ice by yourself!

I always wonder if these people keep up their chosen "mades," will we see her at adult nationals some day?

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

17. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I always thought the first Figure Skater MADE was the best. That kid had spunk. I wonder what became of him :confused: He could have done some adult skating.

18. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I've just watched it, thanks for the link.
    The only interesting thing was the presence of Michelle Kwan !!! lol

I agree that the first episode with a Figure Skater was the most interesting !

19. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I remember that episode. That kid was adorable. It'd be cool if MTV did more follow-up shows on the people who participated in the series. (Or are there some and I'm missing it?)