Mad Men season premiere tonight!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by olympic, Mar 26, 2012.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

After a long-ish hiatus, it premieres at 9pm on AMC :hat1:

2. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

And...what do people think so far?
    Campbell is such a weasel...

3. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

I love Pete when he's being a greasy weasel. :lol:

4. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

So few likable characters on this show, yet it's my favorite and the only series I always watch. Tonight was mostly a lot of catching up, which is understandable when you've been off the air for nearly a year and a half I guess.

Don's new wife has a lot of teeth.

5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I love Pete's sliminess :lol:

6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Boo hoo - I probably won't get to see this until June when it comes out on DVD in Australia. On TV they haven't even shown Season 4 which I ended up buying on DVD anyway.

7. olympic

Wow, big change in fashion from 1965 to 1966, no? The women's skirts are shorter, make-up is less subdued, huge splash of color.

8. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Campbell may be a sleaze at times, but he has a point, and Sterling is far worse, sleaze factor-wise. Pete is busting his tail bringing in the business while Sterling does nothing but stay drunk most of the day. Love, love, LURRRRRVE how he set Roger up with the fake Coca Cola meeting.

Overall, a marvelous opening episode, can't wait for more!

9. znachki

znachki Active Member

I think Pete is being a lot less weasely. He was very upfront about what he wanted, which is a far cry from the way he was before. The fake meeting was hi-larious. Served Roger right! As for Roger - I can't decide whether he's turning into Freddie, or Duck.

I got a big kick out of the way everyone at SCDP reacted/interacted with Joan and baby.

Don told Megan about his past, so that's good. That relationship has a very different dynamic than his marriage to "Morticia". I kept looking at their scenes and playing out the way they might have happened with Betty.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  10. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I still don't like Megan. Hrmph.

11. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

:rofl: I LOVED Peggy's comment:

"Clients are right all of a sudden? I don't recognise that man! He's kind and...patient."
    "And it galls you"
    "No. It concerns me".

12. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

So glad this show is back.
    So many little moments.
    'Lurch and Morticia'
    Roger drinking, and in the office dancing like Meghan when he sees Don
    Different reactions to their ad: Joan's and then the lobby full of applicants.
    Joan's mother - apples don't fall far from trees
    NO Betty!! Yea Glad to see the kids, Gene is growing, just love Sally!
    Don was honest with Meghan - she is the anti Betty, and Don knows that, great progress.
    Campbell - I enjoy him, did not like him 1st season, but he fits in with all the crazies.
    Roger to his wife Jane - why don't u do that (not sure of wording when Meghan serenaded and dance for Don
    Jane - why don't lyou ook like him
    I agree, I don't necesarily like some of the characters, but they intrigue me, I want to know what they do next.
    Good start, and glad it is back.

13. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I liked the episode. I'm starting to really like Megan. She tries really hard to make him happy and she seems to know Don very well. He calls him on his BS. Also, Megan is no push over like Betty. She displays are lot confidence, wants a career and did anyone notice how she interacts to his kids or how she barely wanted anything to do with Joan's baby? I don't see kids in Don's and Megan's future, lol.

Pete is demanding that Roger take him seriously and Pete is fed up with Roger's approach to clients. I have a love/hate relationship with Roger. He irritates me at times and other times I just love his candor, his interaction with his mistress turned wife Jane. They really don't like each and have nothing in come.

I'm so tired of Harry. I really like Lane and Joan's relationship. He really respects and likes her. I wonder if there will an affair happening between them. He was only one who wanted to hold the baby and genuinely enjoyed it. Roger could barely contain his dislike in holding his own son. Peggy and Megan I can't see having any babies, ever.

14. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Lane & Joan was my favourite scene in the episode. I really, really hope they don't push them into an affair -- enough already, and I like having at least some man-woman relationships that aren't about sex!

And I agree that Roger is 10x slimier than Pete. Pete's just doing his job ... but Roger is not only slimy, he's a waste of space (literally) and resources.

Not so sure about Megan. I could see her trying to "do it all," a superwoman before her time -- wife, worker, mother. I'm still not her biggest fan, but I do find her to be at least interesting.

Peggy though ... it's obvious that any close contact with a baby brings up the whole issue of her own experiences for her. Will we see that storyline come around again? Something happening with the sister so that Peggy has to take responsibility for her child?

Overall I thought this episode was a little slow, esp. considering its length, but did a good job of setting things up. Looking forward to the next one! This is the first season I'm able to watch it in real time. I actually didn't like it when it first aired, but I gave it another chance on DVD, and now I'm definitely a fan.

15. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

OK, I don't read celebrity magazines so I was pretty stunned that January Jones is that heavy. And that it seems to be a major part of the plotline!

16. Aussie Willy

Finally got to watch the first ep - downloaded it because I couldn't wait until the DVD comes out in June.

I too really liked the scene between Lane and Joan - very nice. I found it funny how they ended up leaving the baby with the receptionist. Pete is a spoiled brat.

17. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

January Jones was pregnant during filming. Most people were guessing they'd write the pregnancy into the script, but I guess they found a more dramatic explanation for the weight gain!

18. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

It was a very inventive way to deal with her real life pregnancy. I certainly didn't predict that :)

Don is fast becoming the Murphy Brown when it comes to secretaries - a different one every week it seems. But he and Lane are the only two that are fairly open to dealing respectfully with minorities, so it's nice to see that they followed through and assigned Dawn to Don. If only to hear Harry make a lame joke about how he could barely tell them apart. (Poor Harry. He so wants to be "in", and just keeps putting his foot in his mouth).

Dickish Pete works better than Sensitive Pete. I don't know why, but when he's being an ambitious prick, I like him more.

Peggy was funny with Roger. I love how her character is a lot more comfortable throwing barbs at her male counterparts. "I'm not intimidated by his talent. He's not THAT good" LOL! You go girl!

Henry's mother is the same one from True Blood that plays Hoyt's mother (I think). That's all I could picture when she was talking to Betty.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  19. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

:rofl: good one!

I can't wait to watch this :)

20. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I was almost a little disappointed they didn't give Betty cancer. Not that I want her to die (well :shuffle:) but it's much more interesting and believable.

Peggy got herself into big trouble by hiring that upstart. Don likes him? Peggy won't stand for that - she's Don's favorite! :mad: (also, was that Roger hitting on Peggy in the previews?? Eeewwww)

21. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Except that Peggy had a baby, and Don fell for Megan because she was so good with his kids - the anti-Betty. I also thought she was pretty good with the baby when she did hold him :)

Actually Peggy's sister doesn't have her child. I thought it at first in season 2, but that baby turned out to be her sister's baby. Her own was put up for adoption when she was in a psych ward in denial that she'd ever been pregnant. And yes, I may have watched this show a little too much :shuffle:

I don't think she was - I think they put her in a fat suit proportionate to her stomach size! Ingenious solution though :lol: It really highlights that Betty is so unhappy, and her first instinct when Henry wasn't home wasn't to call her husband, but her ex. And Don still seems to care about her, which is interesting, while Megan sees right through her.

Love this show. Can't wait to see where it goes next!

22. Aussie Willy

That was weird seeing Betty looking big. While not showing everything the hints were really interesting.

I wonder what the story with the new guy is. Very tantilising hint with the scene with his Pop.

23. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

@Jen. I know Peggy had a baby, but Peggy is not mother nor I do I think she wants to have more children.

I don't see anything wrong with Betty calling Don. She needed reassurance and she was scared. Betty doesn't have any friends really.

I think Megan being kind to the kids is fine but you could see with the breakfast she doesn't really interact with them that much.

Tonight's episode was awesome. I just love Joan. She showed huge cajones on the episode tonight.

Megan is not afraid to speak her mind to Don. I'm liking Megan more and more.

24. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

So, I assume from the note that Dawn left that she took Peggy's cash out of her purse? It was a bit vague.

They are making Joan a very interesting character indeed. Gorgeous working single mom in an era when it was rarely done.

25. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

I didn't think that Dawn took the money, but I couldn't read the whole note. My TV plays pretty dark and I couldn't read anything past the word "sorry". If she shows up to work again, then that'll mean she didn't take it.

Joan should have never married that rapist a**hole in the first place, not sorry to see him go.

Such a creeeepy episode with Don's dream and Sally hiding under the sofa.

26. berrybarn

berrybarn New Member

The note said "Thank you for your hospitality. Sorry for putting you out." I think by putting the note on Peggy's purse, Dawn showed she hadn't missed Peggy's hesitation at leaving her purse with her. I thought Peggy looked ashamed after reading the note.

I'm also glad Joan is leaving Greg and that she acknowledged he raped her. I always wondered how she felt about it.

27. Aussie Willy

Thank goodness for downloading. Just finished watching Ep 4.

Loved the scene between Peggy and Roger - such a classic. She really had him by the balls.

28. olympic

This show does an epically good job at cultural references of the times - it IS kind of creepy that they decided to go with Richard Speck (mass murderer in '66 who raped and killed 8 nurses) :yikes: and incorporated that into Don and Sally's story lines (in different ways).

29. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

Okay, so what's up with Sally? (I mean I know she took the pill and was under the sofa at the end) The preview for next week didn't show her...Nevermind, I reread olympic's post that said she was "hiding."

Need coffee....

30. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

It was especially creepy (SPOILER ALERT) that when Henry and Betty came home, Sally was passed out UNDER the sofa beneath her grandmother. The only one of the nurses who escaped Richard Speck's murderous spree did so by wiggling under one of the beds in the townhouse dormitory room where she couldn't be seen. They don't know if he lost count or thought just 8 women lived there. He left without noticing that the one nurse (Corazon Amurao) was still alive.

I remember that story very well, I was 8 years old at the time; it was just the most awful thing anyone could imagine. :(