Mad Men Season 6

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Last night's episode was great. So many fantastic moments in it.

Pete and Trudy's Dad in the whorehouse, and then Trudy cracking it at Pete when he mentioned it to her
    Roger is always classic
    Joan balling out Don
    Love it whenever Megan's mum comes to visit
    Herb's wife was a pain the arse and Megan's mum reaction to her was so funny

2. znachki

znachki Active Member

You mean Peaches? :rofl: That cracked me up.

Such a packed episode. I loved Joan calling Don out, and did you notice the asskisser watching from the stairs? Is he a mole? Or just a brown noser. Will he get his comeuppance?

More enterprising folks than I have figured out the the Chevy account is for - wait for it - the Chevy Vega! :yikes: Apparently it was the car of the year, but then started having many problems, and was one of the cars that led to the decline of the American automotive industry.

Given the timeline of the show, we are almost at the RFK assasination.

I think the rest of the season will be a wild ride.

3. Aussie Willy

I totally agree about the brownnoser. Who is that guy and what is he doing in the show? It seems really odd. But there must be a purpose for him later on.

4. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

When she mentioned Tenafly (NJ), I cringed at such a cliche idiot representing my home town. Of course, as of 1968 I still lived in neighboring Englewood, which is where Herb's dealership is located. Maybe that's where my dad went to test drive a Jaguar when he was feeling aspirational. ;)

5. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

My husband has suggested he might be Don's son (that Don doesn't know about) from another relationship, but that would suggest Don had him at about age 16 which doesn't make a lot of sense.

6. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Oh Pete, you slimy idiot. Telling your wife you caught her father in a mid-town whore house is also admitting that you were in a mid-town whore house. She might have put up with your infidelity when she could pretend it wasn't happening, but when you tell her that? I'm glad she kicked your (probably disease ridden) ass out!

And poor Peggy :lol: She does like the older, married guys. Remember Duck? And Pete was engaged/married too.

7. Aussie Willy

Maybe he is Roger's son that Roger didn't know about.

8. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

What do you all think of the merger? I have a bad feeling about it. Peggy's reaction was subdued and negative at the same time. She'll never truly get away from Don, will she?

As for Pete, maybe he just doesn't care anymore. He had to know that revealing the info about Trudy's dad would also let the cat out of the bag about his infidelity. I think he was really angered about Trudy's father hypocrisy (which was justified) but at the same time, he revealed just how small a person he is.

9. Aussie Willy

The merger is interesting. Happy to wait to see where it goes. Although Peggy's level of discomfort was obvious.

I don't think Pete even considered about himself in the whorehouse. He just wanted to get back at Trudy's dad for taking Vicks off him. Very short sighted. As much as Pete is a slimeball he really is a great character for the show. And the receding hairline just adds to his peronality.

10. Aussie Willy

11. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I have a soft spot for Pete. He's a slimeball but I can't help it. Probably because I find Vincent Kartheiser attractive :lol:

Poor Peggy. Don never gave her the respect she earned, and going independent at CGC was a great way to spread her wings. Now she's stuck with him again.

Still can't stand Megan. At least her hilarious mother appeared (though I didn't think Peaches was quite annoying enough to deserve her snark).

Didn't miss Betty AT ALL. I don't understand why she still gets storylines, unless a certain number of episodes is written into January Jones's contract.

12. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I don't know why everyone is assuming the brown noser is anyone's secret son. I highly, highly doubt it, because it's a little too soapy for Mad Men. I think he's just an aspirational social climber at a time when social status was still very much inherent as a birth right. The 60s saw the start of the change to that, and that's all I think it is. Don broke away from his class, but he stole an identity to do it. I wonder if we'll see some kind of echo of that through brown noser guy, since Mad Men loves coming in full circles.

13. Aussie Willy

I think we are joking when we say brown noser is the son of any particular character on the show.

14. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

So love this post.
    I don't like Pete, but he is so entertaining on the show. (and I love how Vincent K is now engaged to Alexis Bledel). And I do love Trudy. If they get divorced, I hope we still get to see here.
    Unlike with Betty - they are divorced, why do we have to see her at all? But keep Sally. Part of me wishes that Betty would die and the kids would live with Don. He would want to dump Meagan, but can't since she will raise the kids for him. But it would interfere with her career, even though she seems to care for the kids.
    The contract reason is probably why Betty is still around,unfortunately.
    And yes - Megan's mother is great. Sorry she did not hook up with Roger again.
    Poor Joan - I don't blame her for being pissed about Jaguar and so loved her calling out Don. I enjoy their relationship.
    Yes, Peggy was not happy. Interesting to see where this will go. I knew she would somehow end up back working with them.
    I do enjoy how we don't know what is going to happen.

15. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Why all the Betty hate? She's no more detestable as a character than Don or Pete.

She's still on the show because January Jones is a great actress who does a wonderful job of depicting a bitchy housewife and not particularly pleasant mother. The divorce wasn't a plot device to get her off the show - it was to generate new storylines for both her and Don.

I think her character has had a really interesting journey, from being the perfectly coiffed, svelte model housewife waiting in bed for her husband in full make up in the first episode, all "yes darling, whatever you want", to becoming unhappy with her marriage, depressed, having an unwanted third child, contemplating divorce and abortion, having an emotional affair and finally getting divorced and remarried...only to find that Henry wasn't as perfect as she had thought. Now she's battling her weight, fading beauty and the onset of middle age, her journey is as interesting as ever. She's not in every episode, but I'm looking forward to her next one.

The whole intrigue of Mad Men is the social history that runs throughout as well the fact the characters are so unlikeable. Joan and Peggy are better than most, but even they have had their moments of detestable decisions. Human frailty is a key theme.#

Since Betty has stayed on beyond divorce, as have both of Roger's ex-wives, I assume that Trudi will too. I can't wait to see what she does to him!

16. znachki

znachki Active Member

17. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

I'll bet Betty winds up addicted to something she uses to lose weight. There were all sorts of pills being shilled to housewives in that era. "Mother's little helper" and all that.

18. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Actually, Betty's storyline could be huge if you think about it. Her husband is running for political office. Was it as dirty then as it is now? Is there any way Henry's opponents/enemies could find out about Don's history? Discredit him through Betty, that idea of discord at home, bad politician, etc.

We all knew Peggy was going to end back up with Don & company. I love scenes with her and Joan, and her and Roger, so I'll look on the upside. :p

19. znachki

znachki Active Member

I wouldn't be at all surprised. I actually thought that they were going to do that last season.

20. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I love Betty. I do prefer her blonde though.

21. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

That's a really, really good thought :watch:

22. Aussie Willy

Betty is not back yet. But those scenes between Don and Sylvia were really creepy. I have no idea what game Don was playing there.

Pete just cannot win, can he? Now being lumped with his mother.

Interesting development between brown noser and Joan. I gained a whole new respect for him tonight.

23. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

The scenes between Don and Sylvia were a 1968 version of 9 1/2 Weeks. Don is slowly unraveling and toxic in his relationships. It becomes more and more clear.

The handling of the RFK Assassination was quite deft IMO - If you juxtapose the way the JFK Assassination was handled a couple of years ago, riveting, the RFK Assassination showed a mixture of sadness and final loss of innocence (Megan) to the completely uncaring and cynical (Don -walking by his own wife's grief). Perhaps this showed where America had traveled between 1963 and 1968? Pete's mother informing Pete about the RFK Assassination (and his response) was inappropriately hilarious.

24. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

:lol: Poor Pete. His mother is so confused, it makes perfect sense he'd think she'd gone back to 63...especially since she then said he'd be late for school!

Respect for the brown noser. I'm glad he kept his job in the end. And I laughed at the furniture polish incident too. I wonder how she explained THAT to the doctors!

25. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I love this analysis of episode 7. It really takes the margarine (fake) and butter (real) motif to such awesome conclusions. I was so gleeful at Don's illusion of control shattering to little pieces. He doesn't have control over anything. Sylvia, Peggy, and Ted all get the better of him in the end. I so loved Peggy and Sylvia in this episode. Don has to change and maybe the obvious loss of control will finally make him get his shit together. I wonder how long before Megan realizes the marriage is done. Don has clearly lost all interest in her. She deserves better than him.

@olympic: That's an insightful view on the RFK assassination.

26. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Don will never change, he is just one of those men.

No Betty :(

27. znachki

znachki Active Member

28. Aussie Willy

29. znachki

znachki Active Member

Wow! Trippy episode. So many crashes last night. Ken's car crash, all those SCDPCGC peeps on the B-Vitamin and "Proprietary Stimulants" Cocktail :rofl: and Don's own personal crash.

How funny is Harry Hamlin as Cutler? Cutler & Sterling together are the Statler & Waldorf of Mad Men.

We learned so much more about Don's "pathology", if you will. This is one screwed up puppy, and you wonder, if perhaps, he might just have gleaned a little wisdom this time (probably not). I thought that it was somewhat telling that he actually called to talk to Sally. And what a burn from her. "I realized that I don't know anything about you".

And - skinny blond bitchy Betty is back!

30. Aussie Willy

I think last night was the obligatory WTF episode they seem to have each season.

I didn't realise Harry Hamlin was in it until I saw the credits. I remember him from LA Law. Loving his character in Mad Men.

Stan is still hilarious as usual. And didn't know Kenny could tap dance. Not much Pete this time.