Mad Men Season 6

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

This starts soon. Anyone else looking forward to it? I thought the last season really excelled itself.

2. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Still consistently one of the best shows on TV. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

3. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Can't wait!

4. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

So true - one of the best shows - evah! I have a big crush on Jon Hamm and John Slattery.
    And relating to other topics in this forum, this is one show I can see rewatching from beginning to end sometime after the show ends. There are not many shows I would rewatch (The West Wing and the original Dallas) and this makes the list.
    I see Meghan in the promo pictures. I am curious to see how Don's marriage is going, if it is still going.
    How will Peggy eventually get back to the firm? I hope she does something kick ass first though (Virginia Slims??)!
    And hope we see lots of Sally, but very little of Betty!

5. Aussie Willy

I thought the scene with Peggy saying she was leaving was one of the best in the whole last series. Although Pete and Lane having the fight was hilarious too.

I wonder about Don and Meghan's marriage too.

6. znachki

znachki Active Member

Can't wait to see it. It's one of those shows where the hour flies by.

7. Aussie Willy

I read the first episode is two hours.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes, it premieres tonight in the U.S., 9-11 pm Eastern. Episodes 1-2 are titled "The Doorway": "In the Season 6 two-hour premiere, Don spearheads a new campaign, Roger gets some unsettling news, and Betty takes in a houseguest."

Can people outside the U.S. watch the preview videos posted on the AMC site? http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men

9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

So, the 2 hour premiere was last night. Any watchers?

10. Aussie Willy

Yes I did. But I don't want to give anything away. All I can say it was true to form.

11. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind, but the premiere didn't get me excited for the season ahead at all. If we're in for another season of overwrought imagery and Don's extistential angst, I'm going to get bored very quickly.

This season starts around Christmas 1967 and the episode ended around New Year's 1968. So it's about a seven month jump? I can't recall exactly "when" in the decade last season ended. Given the tumultuous year in 1968, there's a lot of potential. So I'm hopeful.

Death continues to be a prominent theme. We saw almost nothing of Pete or Joan. It was nice to see them keep Peggy connected with Stan. I LOL when Sally referred to her mother as Betty.

Many characters have evolved their looks. Pete with sideburns! I don't know what was going on with Roger's hair (it had a Flock of Seagulls look to it), and Harry doesn't wear sixties hair well at all.

Betty has turned positively creepy. That talk with her husband about raping a teenager to spice things up was odd. I don't like her as a brunette either. She looks less like Elizabeth Taylor and more like Henry's mother. Betty has always been easily swayed by suggestion, and I guess the squatter's comment about her being a bottle blonde was her way of defining herself differently than wife and mother. Whatever. I stopped caring about Betty long ago as anything except a target for Sally's teenage angst.

It was hardly a surprise that we'd see Don cheating on Megan, but I didn't know who it would be. The neighbor is a bit of a step-down from his glamorous wife, but I suppose that's the point.

Loved seeing Mona - she was a bright spot in the episode.

I wasn't feeling the new account guy at all. Would have rather spent some time with Pete or see more of Joan.

Anyway, those are my completely random thoughts.

12. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I pretty much agree with Bostonfan's comments. So much going on. I think I'm going to miss the early seasons when most of the action was confined to the Sterling Cooper offices. I wondered about Don's misfire with the ad campaign. Was it due to his feelings about death in this episode, or is he losing his touch? How many seasons more are planned?

13. znachki

znachki Active Member

So agree with you on this. It was icky - and I'm not usually bothered by stuff like that. I sometimes think that the only reason to keep her around is becasue they want to keep a Sally storyline. Although did anyone get the feeling that the violin girl - and have we even seen her before - was a stand-in for Sally in a way?

I do hope that Weiner can climb out of his own navel on this. I'm viewing this as just the set-up for the rest of the season.

14. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I thought I had just missed something in a previous episode--and I've seen all of them--about the violin girl because I had no idea who she was.

15. znachki

znachki Active Member

Someone on another board wondered if she was the daughter of Betty's friend that had cancer (I don't remember her either :lol:). Se did mention that her mother was dead.

16. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

Betty talking to Henry about raping that girl was really uncalled for.

17. Aussie Willy

I think it probably should have only been a normal length episode instead of making it nearly 2 hours.

18. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Go Trudi! The single best scene of tonight's show :)

19. Aussie Willy

Totally agree. Pete is so smarmy. He needed a kick in the nuts.

Ketchup and Beans was funny.

20. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

This show needs to end, soon. It's getting ... stupid :(

21. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Stop watching it then. I still enjoy it, so I'm going to keep watching. They've planned the end anyway, so I'd like to see what they do with it.

22. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I do think the show is getting repetitive now, at least when it comes to Don. His lack of self awareness is irritating and I'm tired of the writers using his effed up childhood to excuse it. He knows what he's doing is wrong. Take a cue from Sally and Roger and get a therapist already! Alas, since Don seems to hate change that is unlikely to happen.

As for Trudy, I was with her until she said she wasn't getting divorced because she doesn't fail at things. :confused: I guess it was a step in the right direction. :shuffle:

23. Aussie Willy

I dare say that her whole life had been geared towards getting married, having kids, having a big house. Divorcing in her eyes could definately be seen as a sign of failure that it didn't work. And she probalby doesn't want that on her "resume".

24. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I can definitely understand why Trudy would see divorce as a failure, especially in light of how she and most women in her class had been raised. Still, I would have loved it if she went all the way and asked for a divorce. Right now, it still feels as if Pete is getting what he wants. He still gets to say that he is married but he also gets to play the field and get out of the suburban life he hates. So he ultimately seems like the winner.

25. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Re Don: people don't change. I think that's the fundamental message here :lol: They tried to redeem him and failed. Megan isn't yet aware of the parallels between herself and Betty, and it'll be interesting if/when she finds out.

Re Trudy: It was the 60s. Divorce still wasn't all that common, especially in the suburbs. Pete doesn't entirely have what he wanted, since we saw him so miserable at the end. He wanted it all - the infidelity and the marriage. His depression seems to be a continuing theme from last season, I think. Now, he doesn't have any of it. His marriage is a sham, and any future affair isn't really infidelity because his wife doesn't care any more. He's managed to lose his family without gaining his freedom.

Meanwhile...didn't he have an affair with the nanny from across the hall a few seasons ago? Wasn't he warned then, by the nanny's employer, not to shit where he eats? I can't believe he went for a neighbour again :lol:

26. znachki

znachki Active Member

Poor Pete, he so wants to be Don, but he just can't get it right.:p

27. Aussie Willy

Tonight's episode was really good. Harry being assertive towards Joan and then demanding a partnership was hilarious. And then the whole ketchup business was a classic. Don is back to being his hypocritical self.

28. znachki

znachki Active Member

That whole scenario of Harry and Joan and the partner's reaction totally ticked me off. They completely undermined her, but it was also completely real. Joan's handing over of the supply and timecard keys, after her conversation wiht her friend, is a big sign of change for her. I think that there will be a reckoning. Joan's been completely classy, but she knows where the skeletons are buried...

As for Don, well, you certainly know that was coming. He's attracted to intelligent strong women, but then when they exhibit those tendencies, he needs to dominate them, either physically or verbally. All his women need to get together and talk. Could you just see that!?:watch:

So, we heard about Bobby Kennedy on the TV, but they were still talking about LBJ running. That puts this episode after 1/1 (obviously) but before 3/31, which is when Johnson announced he wouldn't run. What I missed in that background TV, was what they said about Kennedy specifically, but the New Hampshire primary in early March would be a guess.

So, we'll be coming up on MLK and RFK assasinations and riots

29. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I thought Joan handled herself so well. Harry is a worm and what he does not know that is that everyone dislikes and no one respects him.

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re-posting from the Mad Men on Facebook thread: