Machiko Yamada

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by arakwafan2006, Jun 2, 2011.

1. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I am just Curious. Her students are all known to be good jumpers (Ando,Asada,Ito) and yet she has never coached a prominent man to stardom. I know that some coaches prefer certain genders because thats where their strength lye but you would think that male skaters would flock to her. Granted there has not been a woman to jump like Ito, still Yamada's students are known to jump well barring edge calls etc.

I still cannot believe the trajectory and power of Ito's jumps. Especially that axel. :swoon::swoon::swoon:

2. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Interesting. Was Yamada an international competitive skater herself?

Hopefully without sounding sexist, although there are male coaches who train both male and female skaters, maybe it's customary in Japan for a female coach to only teach female students.

3. bibi24

bibi24 New Member

Daisuke Takahashi's coach is female?

4. champs

champs New Member

5. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

So is Yuzuru Hanyu's.

6. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Yamada never coached Ando. She's been coaching Shoma Uno. Is he old enough for Jr GP this year?

7. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Machiko is an amazing person. When Midori's parents got divorced, Midori had no money to continue to skate but Machiko stepped in and let her live with her and paid for all the skating expenses... I think.. Is that so?

8. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

I also read it somewhere. Kudos to Machiko Yamada. :respec:

9. floskate

floskate Vacant

That's about the worst Shoma Uno has skated in 4 years. He's normally extremely consistent, even on new jumps. I've seen him land 3-3's and he's already trying triple axel but he needs to find a proper lutz as that will hold him back. Really looking forward to seeing him take on Chen and Nguyen who are all the same age.

Yamada has done a great job with him, just as she did a great thing by taking in Ito as she did. Apparently Ito's first and last competition was supposed to be 1981 Junior Worlds after which she was going to give up skating due to her parents financial situation. Can you imagine? :eek: That said, the relationship between Yamada and Ito was a complicated one where lines were somewhat blurred at times between coach and surrogate parent.

10. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I am glad that Yamada is unorthodox as well as having a giant heart. You can tell all of her skaters love her. She says she teaches them to be sincere and kind people because that way their skating will at least be beautiful - they will skate with "a pure heart".

She has a deep gravely smoker's voice, but she seems to be going strong.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I think in 1989 or 1990 CBS or another network (ABC?) did a fluff on Midori that showed Midori living with the Yamada family after her parents got divorced. It did not mention the expenses, but may be Yamada helped her there too. The end result was phenomenal, sort of like Galina Z. helping orphan Oksana Baiul to championships. Yamada did it for a lot more years though.

12. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Wow. :respec:

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  13. bibi24

bibi24 New Member

14. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

Thank you so much for posting that 1992 Olympics fluff! I have both on tape, but I've only ever seen the 1992 from halfway through. Why can't they make fluff like this anymore?

15. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:encore: :)

16. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Was it Mao's decision alone to leave Yamada in 2006? Or did the JSF strongly encourage it?

17. WayCon

WayCon New Member

Part of me has been wishing Mao would go back to Yamata. I agree with the comments about Yamata's personality, which seems wonderful. She seems to bring the best out of her pupils, even under the pressure of competition. And don't forget her other students, like Yukari Nakano and Kanako Murakami.

18. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I thought it was Machiko's idea..

19. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

I think you're right. I remember reading an article in which Machiko Yamada said she felt Mao needed to move on in order to grow as a skater. And although she no longer coaches her, they still remain close. How wonderful is that?!

20. midori

midori Well-Known Member

IIRC Mao just had no choice but going abroad, because of the poor situation of ice rinks in Japan.

Back then Mao was training with Yamada in a local rink in a big city, probably in public skating, too. Then around 2005 GPF she got attention by the whole nation and too many people would come to the rink to watch her. There was no way she could continue to train there. Or so I have heard.

Some years later they built some ice rinks for elite skaters and now Mao trains there.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Yes, this is the explanation I also recall. Yamada wanted her to stay in Nagoya if possible and said as much. Given the problems at that time with fans mobbing the rinks and limited facilities, it makes sense to hear that Yamada supported Mao going to the USA.

:)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011