Maé Bérénice Méité

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Mar 20, 2013.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Maé Bérénice Méité had her best worlds outing in London by finishing 11th (she was 13th in 2011). It was not good enough to get France two spots, and I am interested in what her future prospects are.

She has improved her PCS scores by around 5-6 points since 2011 (for whatever the numbers are worth). What do you think about her steps, spins, and transitions? Can she improve the quality of her skating, or is she fated to be just a big jumper?

Will she be a lock to represent France in the 2014 Olympics? Or is Yrétha Silété a possible rival if she recovers?

2. Artifice

Artifice Guest

I also question Mae's capacity to improve on the components aspect. She has improved and is young, so all hopes are allowed. She should work very hard on components and train under a dance coach during an intensive dance training. Yrethee has better potential in the components area IMO, if she can land the jumps as well as Mae I believe she can be selected. But we shouldn't forget other French girls who are strong technically and can improve very fast for next season.

3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Méité is more consistent, while Silété probably has a higher ceiling for what she can do. That said, coming back from the sort of injury Yretha sustained is not easy; look at Takahashi for a comparison, and I think her injury was possibly even more severe. So my guess is that Méité will be the frontrunner for the Olympic assignment, but they'll probably look at results from all of next season and decide only after Euros.

I like both ladies, and hope they can both have greater success in the future.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

Meite could do with improving quite a few aspects of her skating, but there's something really watchable about her IMO.

What about Lecavelier? Or Gilleron-Gorry? What are their chances?

FWIW I'd love Meite or Silete to make to it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  5. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

France needs to get over trying to clone a Surya bonaly
    skaters must have their own style

6. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I hope they do not see this as the strategy, but it would not surprise me. I think Maé Bérénice has her own style that could be good if she sold it, but she needs to become more aware of it.

7. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

deleted ... lol... this is what happens when you post from your iPhone. meant to be a new thread.

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Did she meet the minimums?

9. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Compared to the other senior ladies, they've actually tried many different styles with Meite in both the short and long programs (1940s jazz/big band, Northern African, Spanish, orchestral movie soundtrack), possibly hoping they find the vehicle that will get very positive response.

Interestingly, Meite still has yet to win the National title (4 silvers and 1 bronze). I expect French ladies to be very competitive for the 1 Olympic spot (Lenaelle Gilleron-Gorry actually placed ahead of Meite in the SP at Europeans).

10. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Meité and Gillerron-Gory should represent France in Japan for the team competition. They both now train in Paris and have similar weaknesses in the PCS department. 2 great athletes with huge jumps, but they are so far behind with their skating skills, and posture. It is sad that they did not work on their weaknesses earlier.
    Most skaters don`t come back from an ACL surgery after 1 year. It usually takes up to 18 months to get back to full physical potential. I love Silete and she is by far the most COP-friendly skater, but time is not on her side.
    The 3 ladies will be at the same rink, fighting for an olympic spot, unless there is a coaching change this summer.

11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

That's kind of offensive. Other than both of them being black, Bonaly and Meité are different skaters and the latter is still developing her style and trying different ideas. I love Meité's presence and personality and I hope she can further develop her skating, and I love how diverse Team France is. I hope that will be an example for other federations.

Dai tore his ACL in October or November of 2008 and competed the following season, but he was quite inconsistent. Also, he's a world class skater and was perceived that way, while Silete was at a much earlier stage of her career when she got hurt. So it'll be harder for her to make up for any technical issues as she works her way back. I figure it'll take a while for her to be successful, and we'll see more of her post-Sochi.

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

:confused:

What on earth do you mean?

Surya Bonaly, Maé Bérénice Méité, and Yrétha Silété all happen to be powerful black French skaters. In terms of style, however, they are about as similar as Michael Weiss, Max Aaron, and Keegan Messing -- three powerful white U.S. skaters.

cholla and (deleted member) like this.
  13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I agree that their style is very diffrent from Surya's.
    And I'm not sure that Mae is a lock for Olympic spot. She is a hard worker but she has never been National champion.
    I hope Yretha can come back strong enough to win, I think she has it all.

14. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Yeah, the only thing about their styles that I see as similar is that they are French, and French skaters tend to be, as Dick Button says, "left of center."

I enjoy watching Silété far more, but Maé has been fairly consistent.

15. apatinar

apatinar New Member

To me, Maé Bérénice just doesn't have the body type that would be aesthetically pleasing for the judges to give her much higher marks even if she improves her skating... Yrétha, however, has the potential to have that IT factor.. If she can get past this injury and work on improving technically - SHE is the one!!!

16. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I prefer Yretha too, she is voidy, does not have the ugly leg wrap on her lutz and flip jumps, and is still a very powerful skater but with a leaner build and longer limbs, so I think she has more potential to be viewed as a top skater in the eyes of the judges. To me, she is more elegant than Mae as well, though it may mostly be due to the difference in builds, and can jump just as well if not better than her compatriot. I guess consistency is more the question, but she seemed to be doing better in that regard last season before she got injured. I also think she has generally picked better program and costume choices as a whole while I think Mae could be packaged a whole lot better. I liked her Black Swan SP last season a lot, elegant, powerful, with a hint of DIVA :glamor: . Hope she comes back from her injury strong!

All this being said, Mae has improved a ton and has been pretty reliable this season, and her score at Worlds was quite respectable so I think she'd be a fine choice for the Olympics if she ends up being sent.

17. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

I would also count Anaïs Ventard, who defeated Maé at last Nationals.
    She is still junior, only showed the easiest triples at French Nationals, but she was coming back from injury. I think she landed 3Lz in competition since. And she has skating skills and spins that usually hit the ceiling on the judge marks.

So in the best options, next year the fight for the Oly spot will be among :
    - Maé Bérénice Méité
    - Yrétha Silété (hoping she's back !)
    - Léanelle Gilleron-Gory
    - Anaïs Ventard
    - Lena Marocco was quite inconsistent lately, but with different 'if' she can easily be a threat
    - Laurine Lecavelier

I think we will not see Candice Didier anymore :(

18. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I too prefer Yretha with her more refined style and look forward to her return. But I was very impressed with Meite this season. She brings a unique amazonian look to the ice and is turning into a strong competitor. She really needs better programs and, especially, costumes. They are locking her in an ethnic box. Someone suggested that another skater spend some time with ice dancers, as Daisuke did a year or two ago, and that might be good for Mai-Berenice too. They are the only French skaters with good programs!

19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I dunno, I think Meite and Bonaly's styles are rather similar but Silete's is kind of different..

20. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Actually Meite is better than Bonaly in every single aspect of skating. Her jumps are huge and clean, with good technique and quality. Her spins are solid. And while she could loosen up a little, her choreography and style has much more purpose and conviction than Bonaly ever did in her competitive days (IMO anyway). Although, I guess not everyone can have long, sweeping edges. :shuffle:

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Get her a dance coach please. She's so stiff and moves like a bull in a china shop. She has the technique but really needs to work on her presentation.

22. alchemy void

alchemy void Well-Known Member

I quite enjoy Meite; her stiff, powerful skating, and interesting costuming is a a breath of fresh air after an hour of waify, slow, pretty, powerless GFBs (did I use enough adjectives there? Ha).

Silete is nice, too, but the French girl I like the most right now is Léanelle Gilleron-Gory. Her SP at Europeans was a revelation. Definitely deserved to be ahead of the Helgesson sisters. She almost beat Meite overall, too. Somehow her SP isn't on YouTube(?!?), but it was powerful, skary, voidy, and very different than anything I've seen in ladies in quite a while. She reminds me of Gusmeroli with a little dash of Hubert. Her LP wasn't nearly as impressive, quite sleepy, but I'm very excited to see her progress next year.

23. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Wow, I completely disagree. I find Meite to be extremely generic/lacking in theme in her programs, and her style is very unatural. I actually thought Surya, for all of her flaws in basic skating and technique , actually had concepts that really worked for her when it came to choreography and style. Her 1994 and 1998 SP's in particular come to mind.

24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Well Bonaly's short programs were better, but her long programs almost always looked like she was making stuff up along the way and she wasn't sure what she was going to do next. I think a lot of it has to do with the difference between 6.0 and COP - there's little chance to improv under COP.

I agree that Meite is generic in style, and can look methodical, but Bonaly was really way too rough no matter how much she attempted to sell her programs. It's very much like comparing a suit designed and made by Walmart and one that is designed and made by some drunk people trying their best. Maybe I shouldn't say "has much more purpose and conviction" as just "has more".

25. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

If Mae Berenice had been born earlier, do you think judges using 6.0 would reward her big and solid jumps more?

26. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I feel like we need to give some cheers to Meite for what had to be a frustrating worlds. Is it true that she will be going to Robin Cousins to work on her style?

27. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

I saw Maé at the SA LP this year and that girl can be so electrifying and interesting when she nails it. I'm definitely a fan and can't wait to see what she'll come up with next. :)

28. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I really enjoyed her skating at SA too.

29. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Silete's injury has really benefited Mae. She has developed into a pretty consistent and prominent skater in the past year. I like her but I dont love her - I am not sure she has much artistry or artistic range, and she needs better programs and packaging, IMO. But her big jumps are great. I was really hoping for a lot from Silete. I wonder if she will ever make it back to competition. Not familiar with Gilleron-Gorry yet.

30. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Thank god. If she wants to move up, she needs to spend as much time with her dance coach as she does on the ice. Her movements lack tension and sharpness. Blues is hard enough to pull off as it is.