Lysacek Eyeing Return to Competitive Skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

OK. per Hersh's article, it really isn't certain that he is committed. He has a wait-and-see attitude and will make a final decision later this Summer. But, the article mentions that he is back and training w/ FC

3. bibi24

bibi24 New Member

thx breh good news!!

4. skfan

skfan Member

i am thrilled. for mirai. here in her rink is the sterling example of the dedication frank carroll himself said mirai sought to emulate :)

5. Athena

Athena New Member

Wish Evan good luck on his summer training. Based on his spectacular performances in SOI, I think he'll have a successful comeback.

6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

if it doesn't pan out, perhaps he's like to try pairs? I bet he could lift Caitlyn no problemo ;)

7. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

This makes me really happy....For Mirai :lol: I want her to be World Champion this year, I hope training with Evan amps her up like during the Olympic season.

8. GoldenMichelle

GoldenMichelle Active Member

Finally, a reason to watch men's skating again! SO excited. :):cheer:

9. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

I feel like Michael Scott from The Office when he realized Toby came back from Costa Rica :slinkaway

10. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

:rofl:

11. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I'm happy for Evan, hope he can make a successful comeback, but I'm even happier for Mirai - it can't be anything but a positive influence for Nagasu to have Lysacek training there again. :)

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Publicity stunt.

I'd happily bet money on him not actually competing again.

I mean look at the protocols from the Men's competition at 2011 Worlds. The bar has been raised a lot and Evan never had a consistent quad.

13. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  14. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I know I wrote that Olympic champions competing is something I like but he really adds nothing contributes nothing and is all about celebrating jump regression in mens skating

15. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Chan would have to fall 5 times to lose to a clean Evan at this point. Evan had his window to possibly be on top in 2009-2010 and took it in flying colors and got out at the perfect time. I dont see him giving up his comfort now as the Superstar on Stars on Ice to train to return on an aging beat up body and maybe fight for a bronze medal.

16. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Until he's in the K&C at Skate America, I won't believe it.

17. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

Another article by Mr. Hersh:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0628-lysacek--20110627,0,2230324.column

18. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

What can I say, it seems that he really wants to compete so I wish him good luck. :)

19. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Watch the world team be Lysacek/Mroz or something equally zzzzzzzz worthy.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

21. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I don't get it - if Evan is thinking of coming back, what is he thinking of doing with his Stars on Ice contract? He can't just blow it off - it's a contract. While SOI allowed for his schedule when he was doing that DWTS program, that has national exposure here in the US and they probably figured would augment ticket sales. The GP does nothing for ticket sales here so how does it work, or are his assignments spaced so that he could do them and not miss any SOI shows?

22. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Last year, the SOI production finalized cast contracts just a few weeks before the November premier show. Evan is going to make the decision at the end of summer, which would give him enough time on whether he will participate in the 2011-12 SOI tour or not.

23. Willowway

Oh, my understanding is that he is on a multi-year contract with SOI. Only some folks are on year-to-year and I'm pretty sure Evan is not one of those people but...

24. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

from the article:

"Another skater recently had asked Carroll about training with him. The coach would not take that skater if Lysacek wanted to try to compete again, so Carroll told Lysacek he needed to make a decision by mid-June."

There are probably lots of guys who would love to work with Frank, but my guess is Adam Rippon. He's in direct competition with Evan for making the Worlds team and was looking for a coach recently.

25. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Oh, then it is a completely different matter. Your worry is justified.

26. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I usually enjoy a good comeback, but this makes me hope that Evan does go ahead and retire. I know it's not about taking turns, but Evan has already won the big titles and doesn't have a realistic chance to win them again. I'd rather see new talent get the opportunity to train with Carroll.

It's Evan's decision though, and if he does stay, I hope he enjoys competing and continues to have a positive influence on Mirai. That was the first thing I thought of when I read this, and it appears several other posters did too. :lol:

27. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

It makes sense to retire on a "high". Common sense. But to each his own. I'd rather see Plushy stay retired than Evan.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Why do you think that Evan would have a multi-year contrct? I would think that, after Sarah Hughes's one season, SOI would not presume on the "reigning OGM" status, but would give a one year contract to see how he worked out.

29. Willowway

Because I heard at the time that it was a multi-year contract (at least 4 years) and the person who told me would know - that could be in error but I doubt it. Given his history and work ethic, I doubt that anyone would think Evan would go the Sarah Hughes route. Sarah was an exception - SOI traditionally gives the new OGM a multi-year contract and except for Sarah's decline, I don't believe that it has ever worked out that badly for them. Just using Sarah as a model would be very near-sighted and they have deep experience with their champions (US and otherwise) and headliners. Beyond that, a new US OGM has the considerable leverage to negotiate a multi-year contract and that's security. For SOI to ask a newly minted OGM to 'try out' for a year is an insult that no producer would even think of throwing at talent they wanted and needed.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Great idea! :cheer: