Lysacek and Shibs withdrawal from SLC

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by eurodance2001, Sep 9, 2013.

1. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about all of the withdrawals. I was looking forward to P/B and the Shibs.

Happy about Grant H. getting a spot.

2. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Kurt Browning didn't retire and comeback, he was the reigning World Champion going into the 1994 Olympics.

3. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Every time Evan starts the heavy duty training for a competition, he gets injured and can't compete. Maybe it's time for Evan to realize his body is trying to tell him enough and it's time to retire from competition before permanent damage occurs.

4. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Although I'm really pulling for Evan, ^^ This ^^.

It's difficult for an athlete to give up or to scale back, but constant or recurring injury is not a good course for any athlete. No athletic goals can be met under such circumstances and, as Judiz points out, permanent damage is a very real possibility.

I truly wish Evan all the best. It would be wonderful to see him come back (and Plushenko too) and compete at their best.

O-

5. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

It will be difficult for Lysacek to come back from this injury. Whenever a third degree abdominal tear is surgically repaired (sometimes needing reconstruction and repair), the area around the initial injury is subject to injury (Especially around the area that the carbon fiber mesh was inserted) Luckily Evan's current abdominal tear is classified as minor, which gives slight hope that he may be able to recover from it in time to compete this season. However, it is doubtful.

6. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

:fragile: Drats, I was so psyched to see his programs.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with capitalizing on OGM as long as you are not crying wolf to do so.

Injuries become a problem when fans can routinely predict them.

8. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Lysacek is not crying wolf. It is well documented that he has been injured. Lysacek is not the first athlete to battle injury problems, and he won't be the last. Instead of mocking an athlete because they try and return to competition after an injury, we should respect their courage to try and overcome the injury. The athlete may not succeed in coming back from the injury; however, they should be commented for trying. We may not understand why an athlete will try to continue competing, or agree with their decision to continue training for competition. However, ultimately it is their life, their decision, their sacrifice.

CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as going for the team event instead. Unless the country doesn't have an Olympic spot in one of the four disciplines, their entries for the team event must come from their entries for the solo event.

10. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Evan needs to cut back on his training. He has always seemed to overtrain imo.

11. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I agree. When Evan tweeted the week prior to Champs Camp that he was working overtime to learn his new free skate, I knew that was disaster waiting to happen. Overtraining is a quick way to aggravate an old injury or cause a new injury.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That only works if no one qualifies for the event and is "appointed" or possibly, depending on the substitution rules for the Olympics, if one of the team participants is injured (or "injured"), then the alternate should be able to skate the individual event.

As posted by Sylvia, the US Olympic team members will not go to 4C's in Taipei. In 2010, the Men's alternate(s) went to 4C's in South Korea. #4 in Dance and #3 in Ladies and Pairs did not go, but the trip from where they were training to Vancouver was reasonable with, at most, three time zones to which to adjust. I know there was a big snow storm when Emily Hughes was called to take Kwan's spot in Torino, which means the alternates weren't onsite until called. (USOC would have been responsible for their accommodations; they wouldn't get spots in the Olympic Village unless they were called to compete.) If Lysacek makes the US team and the Men's alternate doesn't go to Taipei, it *may* mean that USFS -- or the athlete, since it seems they are given the option -- is not taking any chances.

ETA:
    Lysacek won in Vancouver by doing everything the best he possibly could, covering every inch of the ice, and having the stamina to be consistently strong and powerful throughout his entire program. He doesn't have a quad or two and a 3A or two that he can do in his sleep a short time after being on the ice after having back surgery: he's never been consistent or technically strong with the big-scoring elements. When he was young, he skated with a cracked pelvic bone. Working hard through injury is what he knows; he's compensating for not having an ideal skater's build or being a natural.

Plushenko trained like a madman for 2010, because he decided on a comeback too late to do otherwise and be competitive. He's scaled back his training for Sochi to take age and the cumulative effects of injuries and surgeries into consideration. He can, because at least up to this point, even when he's not perfect, he's got enough ingrained technique that he's been able to land the stuff that gets him monster scores, even at 85-90%.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  13. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Oh for gosh sakes, Evan, just go away. Congrats on Vancouver. Next.

14. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

No skater has to "go away." Nothing wrong with him (or Plushenko, or Sasha in 2006) giving it a shot. Let the "better" young guns step it up and beat them fair and square. The simple fact is that the US men at this point are not all that competitive on an international stage. I can't blame him at all for trying.

I get that Evan isn't everyone's cup of tea, but geez, you'd think it was totally unfair for him to even take a shot at this the way some on this board are acting.

15. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Salt Lake Tribune article on Lysacek's withdrawal: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/56846432-77/lysacek-figure-skating-international.html.csp

Statement by Grant Hochstein: http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2013/09/10/grant-hochstein-launches-redesigned-website/

16. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

I agree that it's unnecessary and pointless to tell Lysacek to go away. He is free to come and go as he likes. The people who need to go away are the journalists who can't find anything better to cover than hyping the endless parade of "I've come out of retirement" announcements and the withdrawal news (not just Lysacek). It would be due diligence to cover it once, plainly, when the athlete makes the announcement, and then wait till the competition starts to cover it again. OGM so-and-so has come out of retirement and plans to compete in XXX on so-and-so date. That's it. What's irritating is for news organizations and reporters to devote the resource and space to cover some celebrity's every sneeze and cough and utterance, rather than getting off their butts and covering a few people who are working really hard making a difference for the sport and community. How many stories have we seen featuring the PSA nominees of developmental coaches, the medical staff, the not-so-renowned choreographers, the judges who volunteer their own time and intellect, and people who contribute to the skating community? How many full-length stories has Ice Network published on Lysacek or Sasha Cohen's return over the years? How many feature stories have they published on Tammy Gambill, Jim Peterson, the Wheaton Ice Skating Academy, Joe Inman, etc., etc.? Even for someone as famous as Phillip Mills, I had to listen to Manleywoman's podcast to learn that he danced for ABT in his youth. What is the use of official "real news media" if all they give us is rehashed press releases?

</rant>

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Well, the way I look at is that Evan is already away from you. He's not even close to where you are and not thinking about you because he probably doesn't know who you are. Therefore, you shouldn't worry about Evan going away. :)

18. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

Where is Evan due next? SA?

19. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

So long as you have skaters like Todd Eldredge who was able to regain his national title at the age of 30, go on to compete at '02 Olympics & place a competitive 6th or an Elvis Stojko at 29 who placed 8th at those same games, you will have former champions attempting comebacks later in their careers. More power to them, I say.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  20. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he's crying wolf on his injuries. He's crying wolf about coming back to compete. How about first get into competitive shape, and then announce you're ready. Rather than just assume you'll be ready by a certain competition? That's asking for trouble.

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't know why Lysacek would be training like a mad man instead of sipping Mai Tais if he's crying wolf about coming back to compete. No one needs to ask on a regular basis whether he's back in training, like we do with Weir.

Lysacek might be unrealistic, but he's doing the opposite of crying wolf: he's hauling his butt to the rink and hurting himself by training.

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Why doesn't the Anti-Evan group "go away" for a while.
    You've made how you feel very clear.

23. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Because he's dealt with a number of nagging injuries in recent years, I'd expect Lysacek to tread carefully with comeback announcements. Shen and Zhao come to mind in this respect: they didn't discuss the possibility of a comeback constantly, their names just showed up on the GP lists back in 2009. In hindsight, maybe this would have been a better approach for Lysacek, too.

As for the Shibs, it doesn't sound like anything serious. Hopefully they'll use the free time well.

24. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I think the most we can expect is HGTV, hosting Property Virgins. Here's hoping...

25. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Neck injury for Shibitani? That was Moir's reason last year for pulling out of Finlandia. The cynic in me wonders if the Shibs are actually getting a new SD or FD.

26. Conga

Conga New Member

If I were a betting person, I would put money on FD ;)

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't know why they wouldn't just say that they got feedback on their program at Champs Camp and are going to work on it. It's not like they are the headliners for this competition, or that thousands of their classmates were going to travel to SLC to see them skate.

28. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Or perhaps the required lifts make it easy to strain your neck.

29. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Eh, apples to lycees there. The government-controlled, censored Chinese media made it difficult to find out much about Shen and Zhao's return. In the US, where a crazy thing known as the First Amendment exists, reporters can write about Lysacek if they want to, or and readers who don't like it can read something else.

30. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

THIS! Go Evan and all other skaters trying to make a come back! I personally find it exciting when such skaters are in the mix.