Lysacek and Shibs withdrawal from SLC

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by eurodance2001, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I 2nd, 3rd and 4th that. Alrighty then! :)

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

And you don't expect Plushenko, after getting in shape slowly, will be a favorite if he does as well at Euros 2014 as he did at Euros 2010, but that Hanyu will, when he's done more weak FS's than strong?

We have no idea what Lysacek looks like now. If he doesn't show up to SA, US Nats will be the biggest indication of what shape he's in, because the US Olympic team members are not going to 4C's, and Lysacek could waltz through a senior B to get the scores.

3. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

I 5th, 6th and 7th it. Amen!

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. jlai

jlai Title-less

Denis Ten's stunning silver last worlds was why one would "never say never"

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Plushenko at this point will be lucky to still be able to walk if he keeps up with his "comeback" and I actually like Plushenko alot. No he isnt a favorite for anything at this point, and he needs to give it up for his own good (I mean more his health than a potential bad result which is small potatoes as he is already a legend). Atleast in his case I do think he is extremely serious about his comeback, and in his case that is what worries me given the state of his knees and having had multiple surgeries the last 5 years alone.

6. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I honestly had my doubts Lysacek would show up at SLC after hearing Frank Carroll say that Evan's injury was much more serious than people thought, that he was training in pain and that his quad sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Hopefully he won't be forced to withdraw from Skate America too due to injury.

7. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

At this point,if he actually comes back, I'd just say it'd be best for Evan to get the minimums at one of the more obscure Senior B's (Crystal Skate perhaps?)

....bummed about the other withdrawals though :(

8. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Thrilled for Grant and Aronow/Brubaker! Grant had one of the highest summer scores of all senior men and it was driving me crazy that he had nothing yet. Now we just need to find Leng/Leduc an assignment and all will be right with the world!

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If they keep going like this, one day we'll be right when we count these old guys out ;)

10. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

when is the event?

11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself but when it comes to Lysacek and Plushenko I have always been right. Like I said I started a thread 4 months before the Games guaranteeing Evan winning the 2010 Olympic Gold despite that I admit I am not a fan of his. If I was a payed member I would link to the old thread and prove it but if you are you can find it yourself I am sure if you want. I also knew Plushenko would medal in Vancouver as it was a bunch of headcases, guys returning from injury, and mostly guys who didnt even have a quad.

I similarily have predicted ever since Evan's announced "comeback" beginning in 2012 he would end up withdrawing more than skating (note I am not specifying his injuries arent legitimate in some cases) and have been right on the money on that too.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

September 11-15.

13. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The knees aren't even the main thing anymore LOL. I think comebacks are great and the stories of Plushenko and Cohen in 2010 were compelling!

14. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Definitely disappointed by all the withdrawals. Wishing everyone speedy recoveries, assuming they are injury related (though this has not been confirmed across the board).

The dance event was originally looking like it would be more stacked and competitive than any of the Grand Prixs. Obviously Davis/White will start their year off with another win, but it was going to be exciting to see the other new programs in this field. Now, not as much.

Ladies event scores will look pretty distorted. An intramural Team USA meet, then the scores will likely drop off considerably.

Men's won't have the same excitement of the Evan meets Max challenge. Pairs should be fine as beyond the top 4 teams in the world, that discipline more than the others seems like it could be anyone's game on anyone's fewest mistakes day.

15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Sorry for everyone who had to withdraw due to injury, but very happy that Grant got the assignment. I really enjoy his skating.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  16. jlai

jlai Title-less

Yes, I'm glad that USFS is finally spreading the wealth some

17. Capella

Capella Guest

I would bet that most people here don't doubt that Evan is truly injured (this time). It's just getting old that the withdrawal happens within a day or two of the event beginning. That seems selfish, but maybe the blame goes to USFS for not announcing what probably seemed obvious since Champ's Camp (if not before).

18. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Maybe there just wasn't enough space for them.

Primorskaya, jamesy, alilou and 3 others like this.
  19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

:lol:

20. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Well I'm not surprised to see all the bitching & moaning (it's par for the course), nor am I surprised to see those that are sticking up for the skaters either. :)

I'm of the latter of course. I recall all the excitement when Sasha Cohen came back during the Olympic Season (what guts; it's just too bad about all the injuries that delayed her return earlier). Lol I even tried to get a last minute ride up to Spokane to watch her impressive comeback, and it was impressive, make no mistake about that! To come in 4th after being away so long was heroic, and holy smokes she was muscled all over with a six-pack to boot! :eek: :respec: Not to mention Elaine Zayak's comeback after being away for a decade (she too came in 4th). And how can one forget all the comebacks during the 1993/94 season. :cool: Of those that came back only G&G (gold) and Torvill/Dean (bronze) managed to medal at the Olympics, what a feat!!!! The others tried but fell short (at least they made it out of their respective Nationals and to the Olympics): Viktor Petrenko (4th), Kurt Browning (5th), Brian Boitano (6th), Katarina Witt (7th).

And none of the aforementioned have medalled at three Olympiads like Evgeni Plushenko has. In fact it hasn't been done since Sonja Henie & Gillis Grafstrom in the 1920's/30's. And if Zhenya medals at the 2014 Olympics, he will tie Mr. Grafstrom in having been the only two figure skaters in history to have medalled in 4 Olympiads. I'm cheering him on, as I want to see history made, not just because I'm a fan of his, lol (felt the same way when Michael Phelps broke Mark Spitz's record). After all I'm a figure skating fan first & foremost. Therefore, I'm also cheering Evan Lysacek on as well. Here's hoping they both make it back successfully! :kickass: :40beers:

21. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

What a genius. It is a shame you can't use these skills in a more profitable way.

jamesy, OliviaPug, manhn and 3 others like this.
  22. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

To be fair, that's like saying the sun will rise and set tomorrow. Accurate but very predictable.

23. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

How convenient. :lol:

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  24. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

:(:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed I was so looking forward to P/B .

25. tut88

tut88 Member

Are Pechalt /B out for injury ?

26. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

judgejudy27, may I borrow your Crystal Ball? I'd like to use it to make correct predictions this season. ;)

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Misha Ge tweeted today that he has decided to withdraw from SLC :( - he received his travel documents too late to make his travel arrangements.

ETA from earlier in the thread re. Nathalie P├ęchalat & Fabian Bourzat:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  28. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I can tell you how to make correct predictions. You just make 10,000 posts with all different scenerios - backtrack, contradict yourself, eventually at least one of them will be correct. Then you can point to that post & claim that you're always right. But be sure to post as Simone411 when you make the right one so you can claim it.

29. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thank you, taf, for that invaluable information! And I'll be very sure to post as Simone411! Very good advice! :) :respec:

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  30. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

No, it appear they always intended to start their season in France in October. Maybe the comp. is French Masters...I'm not sure of the name!