Lysacek and Shibs withdrawal from SLC

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by eurodance2001, Sep 9, 2013.

1. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I think you meant to type SLC in your title? ;) ETA: Thanks for correcting it!

Nice opportunity for Grant Hochstein and Alissandra Aronow/Collin Brubaker :) (their first international as a team).

3. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

CassAgain, LynnW, jamesy and 3 others like this.
  4. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

I did.. SLC! SC is still a bit away! Lol.. Thanks for the correction

5. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

6. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Well of course Evan withdrew.

7. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

As I posted in the KnK thread on this, I hope that Evan will not keep cancelling events prior to Nationals...a-la Sasha Cohen in the lead-up to 2010 Nationals. He really needs to get his programs out there before Nationals if he really intends to earn one of the two Men's spots on the US Oly team.

8. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Also out/withdrawn:

Pairs: Purdy/Marinano (CAN)
    Ladies: Fleur Maxwell (LUX)
    Men: Patrick Myzyk (POl)
    Dance: Pechelate/Bourzat (FRA) ​

9. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

I'm little fuzzy on the ever changing rules for ISU competition, but does this mean that Lysacek has to find another international in order to get a minimum score for Skate America? Or does that only apply for ISU championships?

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Half of this news is really surprising.

Hope all the injuries heal.

Capella likes this.
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

No, he doesn't.

Hochstein didn't get a chance to compete internationally last season so now he can aim for obtaining the minimum TES for 2014 Four Continents at least.

12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Shibs??? Pech/Bourz??? :wuzrobbed

13. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Are these all injury withdraws? (I hope not....)

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

15. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I have no idea. These are just the stakers (plus Lysacek and the Shibutanis) who were on the original roster and who were not on the roster posted today on the US Figure Skating Classic web site. Sorry I don't have any more information.

16. Primorskaya

Primorskaya Trummerlotte

:rofl:

17. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I wonder why they even signed up for this event... I thought Igor was trying to make a statement that they would be ready to challenge D&W even this early... apparently not. :lol:

18. Fort

Fort New Member

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  19. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Too much friskiness with Vera? :watch:

alilou, BittyBug, LynnW and 5 others like this.
  20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

He doesn't need a minimum score for a GP host spot, nor as a "comeback" skater had he wanted to take that option.

He needs a minimum score from Skate America or a senior international to skate at the Olympics or ISU Championships. There are many senior internationals between SLC and the Olympics, including four between US Nationals and the Olympics. They're all in Europe, and if he were to make the Olympic team and still need the minimum score, he could acclimate while gaining the score and head straight to Sochi.

21. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

That's also assuming the ISU wouldn't make an exception for him like they did for Plushenko entering Europeans the first year of the minimum.

22. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Hmm... he may go for the team event instead? That should give Evan enough time to heal by then. So a showdown between Evan and Plushenko is still viable at this point. That should generate a lot of publicity and excitement.

23. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I said it when Evan's "comeback" began 2 years ago, but the only surprise would be if there is any event he doesnt withdraw from due to "injury".

24. judgejudy27

A showdown for what, 7th or 8th place if it even happened. That is no publicity. It is like if Michelle Kwan and Midori Ito both came back to the Olympics right now and somehow made it and trying to hype up a showdown between them when it wasnt even for a medal. Everyone knows the real contenders are Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu, and Takahashi.

25. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

He seems to need the "comebacks" to stay active for his Sponsors. Ever since the Olympics Evan has been only about the $$$$$$.

26. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

That's true, how dare he attempt to capitalize on his OGM and earn endorsements. After all, no other skater in history has ever done that. :rolleyes:

It's so nice to share a board with so many people who absolutely know for sure what goes on in a skater's head and have empathic capabilities to know (from a distance) whether or not he/she is really injured...

27. judgejudy27

Very true and I dont blame him for that. This is the last part of his window so best to rake in as much moolah as he can before he fades into complete obscurity post Sochi with the new stars success, and SOI close to going kapoot. The best thing he could do for his own marketing value is to give the illusion of being a competitive skater again while never actually competing.

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

2010 was supposed to be a showdown between Chan, Takahashi, some people thought Lambiel, who less than a point short of bronze (and whose footwork seqs were as slow as Curry doing school figures), and Joubert, if he could hold it together for the first time in an Olympics. Weir if he could regain form. Even Contesti, who was the 2009 Euros silver medalist and fifth at 2009 Worlds looked like he could challenge for a medal at the end of the 2009 season. Plushenko had just started a crash program to get back into shape, and even though Lysacek was the reigning World Champion, he wasn't on very many lists for gold, especially without a quad.

The Olympics are really a different kettle of fist with the demise of school figures.

They could, but I don't think they'd do it for the Olympics, though.

29. judgejudy27

Oh please Plushenko and Lysacek were atleast two of the favorites for 2010. Plushenko was the bookies odds to win in fact, and Evan was reigning World Champion and I even started a thread 4 months before the Games guaranteeing Lysacek to win (despite not being a fan of his). I was that certain it was going to happen. People didnt expect Lambiel to beat Plushenko, he had just lost to him by like 20 points at Europeans. Takahashi was not favored over Lysacek, he had just bombed and lost to him by a similar margin at the Grand Prix final. Everyone knows Lambiel or Takahashi skating relatively cleanly would probably be the winners no matter what the others did, but nobody expected them to deliver that either (and they didnt). Chan had been injured all season and was barely considered a contender going into Vancouver, and his 6th place was about as expected.

This time around is not a similiar situation by the biggest stretch of the imagination. The only way they would be contending for gold in Sochi (even if the miracle either made it there in decent shape) is if atleast 4 or 5 guys fell atleast 4 or 5 times. A showdown implies it is the 2 guys who are expected to duel it out at the top, and that is not the case here.

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Bravo!
    I wish that these insults to Evan would stop.