Lyrics in singles skating?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ChiquitaBanana, Apr 29, 2011.

1. ChiquitaBanana

ChiquitaBanana Well-Known Member

Ok, I have been partially out of the loop for some part of the season... but since when are lyrics permitted in singles skating (re : Florent Amodio FS?)

According to the 2010 regulations :

Help?

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

They aren't allowed. He knows it, but decided to use them since it was "the last competition of the season" and he wanted it to be fun.

It's apparently a new rule that the judges take the deduction (instead of the caller?) so it's speculated they just didn't know it was up to them.

3. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

If it states clearly in the rules that lyrics are not permited, what deduction was he given?

4. ChiquitaBanana

ChiquitaBanana Well-Known Member

Nothing! So, he wanted to do a Surya Bonaly??

5. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Wow, that is incredibly dumb. He was a medal contender and even if he didn't medal, one placement could have been the difference between the French getting 3 or 2 spots for next year.

6. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

in this case, having fergie pop up unannounced in the middle just made this program look even more like an exhibition

7. newbatgirl

newbatgirl Well-Known Member

Well, he's French so the rules don't apply to him the same way.

8. Made4Dancin

Made4Dancin New Member

I thought it was pretty selfish for that reason. And the intention to thumb his nose at the judges was pretty uncalled for. As far as I could tell he was getting good marks, so to me it seemed to come out of nowhere. I can't believe no one around him stopped him.

9. luCN

luCN New Member

last year add a new rule,if one add lyrics in music,judges should vote to decide whether -1 or not,if over 50% think shouldn't -1,then don't :p

maybe they think RAP is not lyrics :lol:

10. icemarker

icemarker New Member

should have done it to "lady humps" back eyed peas. oh that's from a movie!!!

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

No, he just wanted us to talk about that.
    Surya did it in her last competition, of her career.
    He is at the beginning of his career, it's absolutely not the same kind of thing.

12. briancoogaert

I wonder what was more fun here with the lyrics, compared to his performance at Euros !

13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

He should listen to Chas Michael Michaels.

14. tkaug

tkaug Member

There must have been a lot of other things that he had to work on, such as transitions, edge call on flips, etc...
    He was the only one in the final group without a quad and that was alright because I wanted him to skate clean so France could grab 3 spots for the next worlds home in France, but this issue, instead of whether he'd put a quad or not, shouldn't have been what he would risk for.

15. misskarne

misskarne #408

I'm bamboozled by a few things.

1) Way to completely disrespect the rules of figure skating. :rolleyes:

But more importantly:

2) Way to set a dangerous precedent, judges.

It wasn't just the chanting or "oooh" that you sometimes hear in the backdrop of the music. They were actual, identifiable words. Therefore, he should have had a music violation at the very least or disqualified at worst. But the judges LET it slide. There was no music violation, only a low score. Therefore, it would not be unreasonable for another skater in future to use lyrics in their music, with the defense of "Amodio did it at World Champs 2011."

A dangerous precedent IMO..

16. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

ITA. I wish there was an official explanation from ISU for why no deduction was taken.

17. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

especially since...wasn't Joubert punished for that last year (or I remember completely wrong?) ?

18. briancoogaert

2008 Worlds SP (-1). There wasn't even any lyric, or at least, not something he did intentionally !