Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giulietti-Schmitt switch to Igor Shpilband

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Here's today's press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49023&type=media

I just noticed a thread was posted in the Trash Can - IMO, this is news that belongs in GSD:
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  2. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

:watch: I wonder if this means they plan on competing past 2014?
  3. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

This will be interesting. I love Lynn and Logan and it was frustrating to see them pigeonholed in 4th-5th place for the past 3-4 years. Maybe this coaching change will be what they need to take the next step.

Given their ages, I assumed next year would be their last one competing, but maybe they'll be energized enough to stick with it for another year or two beyond Sochi.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

Can't say I'm particularly excited by this news. :blah:
  5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I like them as they are. But, I think this is an all-in attempt to move up the rankings, to include playing politik
  6. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Wow. I like them a lot and find them really enjoyable to watch, with interesting choreography to boot. I think this might add a blah element to their choreography, but politically, yeah, it's a step up (I don't know the story behind Yuri/Yaro--anyone else know why they don't have the same pull?).
  7. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

But how much politiking are they going to get as Shpilband's #2 US team? I guess we'll see.
  8. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Well, I don't think "politiking" is the only ingredient needed for better results. While some or even many longtime fans enjoy Lynn and Logan's programs, they are not generally as well-received, IMO, in the judging community as might be wished. I think going to Igor gives them an opportunity to explore their style and music choices. A bit late in the day for it but as noted above, maybe they are thinking past Sochi.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Why are you all mentioning politicking when their main problem is that their technical elements simply aren't strong enough? And there is no better coach in the world as far as improving that is concerned.

And it's something that their old coaches keep failing at.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  10. Slipnslide

Slipnslide New Member

There was talk at Nationals that YnY were looking around for a new rink. Maybe LnL don't want to move.
  11. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 New Member

I used to skate in Ann Arbor, until last summer. Honestly, after Marina and Igor split and Igor was looking to build his coaching base again, I was very surprised Lynn and Logan didn't go with him then. Not only did they seem to be stagnating in Ann Arbor, Yasa and Yuri have a quite a few teams on the ice at a time, and all levels of skaters are allowed on the ice with their teams. It makes for an interesting situation.
  12. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Good for them! I think this is just what they need. It's too bad they waited so long. I think Yasa and Yuri certainly improved them, but they need Sphilband to take them to that next level. Nationals next year will be very interesting.

I only wish Sin/Z would do the same - they will never get anywhere with that coach - and it would be a real shame if all that talent went to waste.
  13. casken

casken Well-Known Member

This, 100%.

I :rolleyes: Shpilband's programs as much as anyone, but he knows how to teach teams to do the lifts, twizzles, and footwork sequences. Those are the things holding K&G-S back.

C&L and R&T's FD's are blah, but they do all the elements far better now. This is a good move. It's not like their programs were amazingly original anyway.
  14. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I think this is a good move. Igor can help them up their technical elements. They already have good chemistry and flow. They are a striking couple. I hope this gives them a boost on the GP circuit next fall. Having Igor at the boards should help!

I loved their performances at Nationals. We are so blessed with talent in US Ice Dance!!!
  15. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I like them as well! I believe that Igor should find a new Marina. He is a technical master! His teams from an element standpoint have exactly what they need. Choreography that he does to me seems just ok. It's not his strength! As for this team, I almost feel like its too little too late. Their elements will take a while to drastically improve most likely. Who knows though, with hard work and determination oh and Igor, anything is possible. Igor definitely has imported some power house assistance; M. Klimova, B. Fusar-Poli. Maybe he has a long term plan. I wouldnt mind seeing more work by Shae- Lynn in ice dance. David Wilson did fantastic work with Marie- France and Patrice. Who knows?

I am glad that they didnt go to the DSC though as i generally believe that Pasquale's team ignores details sometimes. I am a fan of the French team but unless they really fix the details in their programs, all that creativity is going to go to waste. Lynn and Logan made a smart move
  16. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

PS: If you were Yasa and Yuri, wouldnt you leave Ann Arbor since the powerhouse training bases are only 20-60 mins away?
  17. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

^^^^ ITA

What Lynn & Logan have most needed is more speed and better technical accuracy. And if they want to go outside for choreography, or be involved in their own choreo, I would not expect that to be a particular problem with Igor-after all, when he was with Marina, he essentially outsourced most of the choreo to her ;)

L&L have a strong idea of their own style, and are old enough to stand up for themselves. Plus Lynn has graduated from college now, and I expect they have a bit more time to work on their tech, too.

I'm hoping they rock it next year, and that somehow they get a GP. I'm guessing they will open their season at Nebelhonr?
  18. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Good move! I've been wishing that the Shibutanis would make the same move.
  19. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Maybe the Shibs are waiting until Igor has a good choreographer on his team. Isn't their main problem that they don't have good choreography?
  20. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

They get good levels and usually get decent GOEs for their lift and spin elements, but they definitely lack speed which I think has always hurt them in the FW sequences. Their lifts are actually pretty innovative.

The Shibs do need a change. Zoueva is doing nothing for them. But I can't see them moving to Igor, or (sadly) Krylova/Carmerlengo.
  21. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I fear that puts the nail in the coffin for H&D's chance at an Olympic spot. :(
  22. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Yes, that is sad. Watching their Nationals FD performance (still a bit raw, as they had made really many changes to the choreography and elements), I thought - and this is a team that is not going to skate at Worlds?? K/G-S are nice, and they really have some interesting lifts, but currently I still like H/D much better. Anyway, good luck to Lynn and Logan.
  23. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

k/G are not going to pass up any team next season to be honest. They haven't been able to in the last 3 years or so.
  24. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Well thanks for being honest!

I think Lynn/Logan have a lot of talent and while I'm not excited and the prospect of Igor-izing their choreo, I think he might be able to give them the push (politically) that they need. Depending on the Shibs' showing at Worlds, that 3rd spot could go up for grabs. I think even w/o Igor's support, Madison/Zach have the best shot, but this is a fun new twist. Lynn and Logan have a small chance now.
  25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It seems as though they're having trouble getting higher levels on their elements in the past few competitions.

I know this isn't really a tech. issue, but having the 1.00 deduction in both the SD and FD cost them the silver at Nationals.
  26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Unlike Zoueva, Shpilband doesn't seem to have anything against working with outside choreographers.

Again, they need to start executing their technical elements to a high standard before worrying about politics. Politics is not the most important point here.
  27. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I like this team and I hope this isn't "too little, too late" for them. I really want to see them get to the Olympics or Worlds one of these days.

I also don't think Zoueva is the best choreographer. I think having Klimova come in to choreograph for the teams throughout the season is a better idea.
  28. DORISPULASKI

Klimova was a great ice dancer, but there is little documentation for Klimova as a great choreographer.

In Igor's camp, her function appears to be as a pattern dance person & polisher. She is not listed as one of the choreographers of either Chock/Bates, Tobias/Stagniunas, (both list Sphilband), Capellin & Lanoote (choreo Liudmila Vlasova), or Riazanova/Tkachenko (choreo Viktor Konevski), all of whom list Igor as one of their coaches or as their sole coach.

So two things become obvious:
    1. Igor has no problems with outside choreo (R&T, C&L)
    2. Igor will do it himself, too.

Klimova wan't listed as a choreographer for any of these teams.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Doris - of course you are correct re: Klimova's credentials as concerns Igor's camp. She has done some lovely programs for single skaters in Northern California, including Polina Edmunds.
  30. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I see her work all the time since she choreographs for a lot of the skaters in my area. She does great work IMO. Igor should use her!
  31. DORISPULASKI

I presume she did the Cats piece for her son & Sarah Feng?
  32. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Let her do choreography, but don't let her design the costumes :eek: :yikes: