Lynn Holly Johnson

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by FSWer, Mar 8, 2013.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Hey,I'm sure you we all know her as the Girl who protrayed the Skater in Ice-Castles. But I also just read that she was the 1974 Novice Ladies Silver Medalist. Does anyone know what she's doing now? Does she still Skate?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I Googled her name and discovered she had a stroke in January 2010 - here's a two-part article about her in February 2013:

Part 1: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/holly-495058-lynn-life.html
    Part 2: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/holly-495073-lynn-stroke.html

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  3. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

It sure sounds like she lived through everything very well. I did know she had kids. BTW. how did a Stroke efect her memory? Does she still Skate? Or was 1974 her last Competition? Do we have a competitive Record for her?

4. stevlin

stevlin Member

Wasn't she also in the James Bond movie "For Your Eyes Only"?

5. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Thanks sooooo much for the links. She just looks exactly like herself (if you know what I mean).

I knew she was a skater. The article references an accident that sidelined her skating career. Anyone know what happened?

OH - she trained with John Nicks!

6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links to those articles. Very interesting.

I had read somewhere else that she had trained to be either a nurse or doctor - something in the medical profession.

7. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

She was one of the four female leads in the 1984 R-rated movie Spring Break -- she was on a mission in Fort Lauderdale to find her "Conan" to get laid.

It saddens me that I can remember total random, worthless crap like this right off the top of my head, but cannot remember for the life of me where my keys are.

8. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Wasn't she some sort of trampoline competitor in that or something?

9. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Actually the movie was called Where the Boys Are. (It was a remake and it stunk.)

10. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

A stroke is a blood clot, or a bleeding event, in the brain. The brain has limited room for extra things in it, for sure! So either of those events, depending on what part of the brain it happens in, can cause memory issues, speech problems, problems with movement on one side or the other (or sometimes both), swallowing difficulties, and basically problems with anything that is controlled by the brain (which is generally all body functions). Again, it depends on how severe it is, and what part of the brain it happens in.

11. Aussie Willy

No she was a skater in the Bond film. However there was a scene where she was practising on a trampoline.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

As others have said, she was a skater in the bond film. she tried to seduce bond, with little results.

13. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Doesn't he buy her ice cream and then tells her to go back to her hotel room? :lol:

14. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I think he just tells her to get dressed and go back to her own room. Even James Bond has standards....(That and he was practically old enough to be her grandfather...)

15. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,how old is she now anyway? Knowing that she was a Skater in real life. Is she still conneccted with Skating in any way too? Are there any old photos from when she Skated?

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Johnson is 54 years old now. There is no mention of her being connected to skating now that I can find online.

From this April 2009 article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090409&content_id=63806&vkey=ice_news
    You're right - found this biography: http://alumni.saddleback.edu/s/1343/index_wide.aspx?sid=1343&gid=1&pgid=333

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  17. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

FSWer, thanks for asking this question, I always wondered what happened to Lynn. The last time I saw her mentioned was in a FS magazine where a fan asked for an article about her and the editor's snarky reply was that they covered skaters, not actresses who happened to skate...

As a doc who has lectured on this topic to scuba divers (PFO can be problematic in divers), I want to emphasize that most people with PFO do not have strokes, don't need them repaired and live normal lives. Lynn's case wa an inherited disorder that was more serious than most. Glad to hear she is doing pretty well.

18. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

The prevalence of PFO is about 25 percent in the general population. In patients who have stroke of unknown cause (cryptogenic stroke), the prevalence of PFO increases to about 40 percent. This is especially true in patients who have had a stroke at age less than 55 years.

19. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

Some months ago, I watched a direct to video remake of Ice Castles starring Taylor Firth and there was in interview with Lynn Holly Johnson in the "extras" on the DVD. It seemed from the interview that she had somehow been involved in the remake. Was not a bad remake by the way and Michelle Kwan has a part as well.

20. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. As I kind of wondered if after being a Skater herself if she might also be coaching. BTW. I'm surprised she had a stroke and that she's lost her memory. As your not surposed to have one at 54. Someone 80 is surposed to. BTW. what do we know about her kids? Are there any old 1974 Skating photos of when she skated?

21. Aussie Willy

Strokes can happen to anyone at any age. Even kids can have strokes. A relation of mine had a full blown stroke at the age of 22 after losing a baby to pre-eclampsia (can't spell that). She could have died but had to go through learning to do everything again.

22. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

Love the photo with her kids! They all look very happy. :)

23. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I think it is amazing that someone who didn't qualify for nationals was able to go one and have a pro career. oh the old days..

24. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Thanks for sharing those articles Sylvia! I've always loved that movie. The last line about Johnson's brother being a pilot whose usual shift is a 10 hour flight to Brazil was chilling! I'm so glad they're both okay now.

25. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

She's probably a bit of an exception...being in the movie might have given her more of a pro career that the usual novice ladies' silver medalist.

26. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

:lol::lol:

27. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

As I understand it, she had a pro career before she was in the movie:

Not everyone who skates in shows like Ice Capades, especially those who just skate in the ensemble, has qualified for Nationals. The fact that Johnson had solos might reflect that she was one of the better skaters in the company -- and/or it might reflect her stage performing experience. And she had qualified for Nationals, at novice level anyway.

28. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Thanks, gkelly, I had understood that her pro career came after the movie.
    According to some of the former Ice Capades skaters that manleywoman has interviewed, it wasn't unknown for skaters without national titles to get solo spots in the shows, or to become principal skaters - if they auditioned and were chosen (see Ray Belmonte's comments in this podcast: http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-41-ice-capades-70th-reunion-part-1/)

29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Here's a bit more information:
    http://figureskating.about.com/od/famousskaters/p/lynnholly.htm

A friend of mine, and her family, were extras in the movie.

30. Aussie Willy

The skating in Ice Castles was really good. I think regardless of the editing, you could see that Johnson was a really beautiful skater. And every time I hear that song it brings a tear to my eyes.