L'Wren Scott, Fashion Designer & Mick Jagger's Girlfriend, Found Dead

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Just saw this on Yahoo. WTH? At first I thought the headline was a mistake. How very sad.

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

She was very popular with the A-listers and I think even Michelle Obama has worn her fashions. What a waste. A very striking woman too - tall and stately looking.

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

R.I.P.

5. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Just awful....R.I.P.

6. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I'm stunned. From the outside, she appeared to have everything going for her - enormous talent, a successful business, incredible connections, wealth - and yet she apparently could not go on. It's very sad.

7. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Awful news. RIP

8. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I read an article that said her business was $5 million in debt, and she had just pulled out of a fashion week show abruptly.

9. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I just saw on the news that it was $6 million in debt. Guess the relationship with Jagger wasn't so hot if he couldn't give her what would be chump change to him.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

To be fair, maybe he had no idea that her business was in trouble. Wouldn't be surprising if she was determined to make it on her own (which by all accounts she was for a time at least), and/or they did kept their professional and personal lives separate. It's impossible to know what the nature of their relationship was, and therefore I don't think it makes sense to point fingers like this.

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I certainly don't blame Mick. This was her decision. Suicide is always the decision of the person committing it; no one really drives someone else to suicide.

12. Muffin

Muffin New Member

I don't know that a cash infusion is the answer for all failing businesses. Mick paying off her debt might have been a Band-Aid that would not have prevented her from going right back into debt. And it probably wouldn't have taken away her feelings of personal failure.

13. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I don't think Mick Jagger gives money to his girlfriends, that would set him up for palimony. He never financially supported Jerry Hall's forays into fashion and theater. Plus he doesn't seem particularly monogamous so where would it end?

14. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Oh, I'm not suggesting that that's the reason why she killed herself: that she was so mired in debt and Jagger refused to bail her out. I don't presume to know the reason/s. It is just a "guess" that the relationship wasn't as close and involved as it could have been if Jagger wasn't aware of how much trouble Scott was in financially. If he was aware of it, there was much that he could have done to ameliorate her financial situation. If she would not have been receptive to his help, or, if for whatever reason he didn't want to help her, now that, to me, bespeaks of a relationship that doesn't exactly scream pure, undying love (although I'd have a hard time believing Jagger capable of being that much involved in a woman given his romantic history).

15. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Her business was in debt, not her, and they weren't married. Anyone who's smart knows that you don't mix personal funds with business funds. Every relationship is different, but just because someone won't fund his/her partner's business doesn't mean that it was unhealthy.

I find it much more likely that the business debt existing at all was the last straw for her. She was accomplished, and I know of many high-achievers who suffer from depression because they can't handle any kind of setback.

It's more common hearing about such suicides involving workaholic men, but high-achieving women certainly are not immune.

16. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

And where on earth did I say it was unhealthy? And don't split hairs about whether it was she or her business in debt; whatever it was, she had trouble on her plate. If he knew about it and could have helped her out but didn't; if she didn't want him to know about it (and I find it hard to believe that he didn't; if he was that clueless, they must have been even more distant than I thought) or didn't want his help - any of those scenarios denote to me (feel I have to bold this since it's being assumed that I'm stating my personal views as facts) that the relationship wasn't a truly close and open one.

17. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

:huh: you don't get $6million in debt overnight, so that must have been a mighty long straw.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Denial is a powerful thing. Having to pull out of a fashion show definitely added to it, I'd say. The business debt existing and then catching up to her.

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

How does a high-end fashion house go into debt like that, I wonder?

20. Muffin

Muffin New Member

I think it's pretty common. Isaac Mizrahi's business in the 90s - when he was at his most popular - was actually losing money every year and closed by 1998.

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I wonder how many freebies they have to give to A-listers to get publicity for their fashions. I bet she also had lavish parties and spent a lot on PR too.

22. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Isn't that kind of the point of the entire industry :shuffle: it's all smoke and mirrors and pretend high life. Freebies to celebrities so that you become known, lavish parties and ridiculously over the top richness to attract that kind fo scrutiny....

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

But her $5.6 million condo, with the car elevator (!) was PAID FOR...how'd she do that and then run her company into the ground?

24. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Maybe Mick bought it for her.

There's a story in one of today's papers (can't find the link, sorry) that the other Rolling Stones hated her and called her "Yoko" because they thought she was too possessive of Mick. They allegedly also called her "Le Men" because she was so tall and had big feet.
    She offered to design their stage clothes and they refused because they disliked her so much, so Mick let her design his.

25. FiveRinger

She might have been operating her business on credit. After so long, the credit runs out and the bills have to be paid.

I have a relative who is in that industry and it is no joke. It takes a lot of money to start the business and even more to keep it going.

ETA: There's nothing to say that Mick hasn't helped her in the past, but as a business person, it's difficult to keep throwing good money after bad. The IRS calls a business that's not making money a hobby.

26. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Well, that may be exactly why her company was in debt; she may have drained it supporting her lifestyle, or just didn't manage it well.

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Oh, wow. What a waste of a life. She could have just declared bankruptcy and she could have reorganized. To take her life like this.

But the tea that overedge spilt about the Stones not liking her for being too clingy - sounds like her problems were a helluva lot more than financial.

28. FiveRinger

@Rex, that's what I was thinking. And, being in a relationship with Mick Jagger couldn't have been an easy feat if any of his former loves are to be believed. It would be terrible for someone who is already in a fragile state.

29. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

What woman in their right mind would try to get into a relationship with someone who is an unashamed womanizer?!?!? I mean, they write songs about Mick, right, and his cheatin' ways? Even a woman with a bit of cray-cray would think twice.

30. FiveRinger

You know how it is.....maybe she had the idea that she was the one. That's what most women think when they get with these bad boys. He did give her a ring at some point; she was wearing it at her last public appearance.

She was with Mick for 10 years. That was plenty of time for him to put a steering wheel in her back and drive her to crazy.