Luxury Fashion! (Favorite High-End Labels, Department Stores. Etc...)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kylet3, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I bought cashmere Juicy leg warmers :shuffle: All the rinks I skate in are bitterly cold now and I couldn't handle it any more. They were on ebay, so not unreasonably expensive. Now, can they get here before my feet turn to blocks of ice next time I work on back circle 8's?

2. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Thank you!

3. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

So... giving this thread a kick up.

Everyone's thoughts on the Golden Globes?

I absolutely adored Lupita Nyong'o. That red Ralph Lauren dress with the cape was absolutely stunning. This was her first major red carpet and she just showed up, and a very "here I am!" attitude. By far the best dressed for me. I also liked Heidi Klum in Marchesa, only she could pull off that black and white mix. Sofia Vergara in Zac Posen and that heavy black gown looked awesome. I know some people didn't like Reese Wotherspoon but I loved the green and the very simple look. I'm a big fan of less is more. Cate Blanchett in Armani Prive was amazing too! Very old Hollywood, she just looked like a true movie star. Margot Robbie and Olivia Wilde in Gucci looked fantastic. Matthew McConaughey and his wife looked awesome in Dolce & Gabbana.

It seemed to me that Carolina Herrera and Tom Ford were the designers of choice this year, there was a LOT of it, especially Tom Ford with the guys. Now... for the bad...

Julia Roberts in that Dolce & Gabbana? This broke my heart that they designed this, she wore a dress shirt with a lovely black dress, get rid of that shirt and the dress with the belt would be just fine! Zoe Saldana wore some distracting disgusting thing I've never heard of, it was hideous. What the hell was Paula Patton thinking? Those ruffles were like someone threw a bed sheet on her and twisted it in her. Jennifer Lawrence in Dior looked like she was wearing a roll of toilet paper, a definite downgrade from the Oscars dress too. I was not impressed with Kaley Cuoco and that floral thing, even though it wasn't as bad as the monstrosity Lucy Liu wore last year. What the hell was Lena Dunham thinking? That was so ill fitting and unshapely, I thought it looked awful. That being said, Paula Patton wins worst dressed.

4. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

^^ Pretty much agree. Though I think Lena Dunham looked worse than Paula Patton. Dunham's dress was better, but at least Patton's fit her. And, if Dunham is going to wear a strapless dress, stand up straight! LOve, Love Love Lupita Nyong'o in that dress! I want that dress! I want to have a place to go to wear it! I want to look like her in it! Hmmm, none of that is possible :wuzrobbed

5. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

So, in Canadian Retail news today...

Saks Fifth Avenue/HBC announces that they've decided to change the location of where they open their first Saks. They're going to be opening now in the building of where the million or so square foot Bay Flagship (now turning into an expanded Eaton Centre) on Queen Street in Toronto. Sounds like they're going to take about 150,000 Square Feet in the building and 650,000 square feet will still be The Bay. Personally, I think this means one thing...

Advantage: Holt Renfrew. With Saks initially supposed to open on Bloor and Yorkville a couple of blocks away from the Holts flagship there, so Bloor and Yorkville doesn't face the added competition of Saks while it will now be a safe distance away. For those who don't know. Bloor and Yorkville in Toronto is pretty much the Canadian version of Rodeo Drive or Fifth Avenue. The largest Holt Renfrew store in the country with very exclusive boutiques lining the area (Gucci, Prada, Cartier, Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, etc.)

Holt Renfrew is adding and expanding to their stores and the first Canadian Nordstrom opens in Alberta this fall, Me thinks if one is pushed out, it's going to be Saks... I think this is going to be a decision Richard Baker regrets...

6. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Time to revive this thread! So the Oscars have long come and gone, but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts. My favorite dressed of the night were Kate Hudson and Lupita Nyong'o, I love that Blue Prada dress, it was spectacular!

That being said, has anyone seen anything in the newest season collection from Paris Fashion Week or in the stores? There's nothing that has really caught my eye either, any other new stores or anything else that's gotten anyone's attention?

2014 has so far been a quiet year on the fashion front.

7. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Funny you should bump this thread up. If someone gave you a large bag of gently worn, professionally laundered high end labels, would you be offended?

8. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

It depends on the circumstances in which they were presented to you... but if someone came to me and offered me a bunch of Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, Prada, YSL and Versace in my size, that had been gently worn but that I could use? I'd be all over that!

I wouldn't be offended at all, actually I'd be thankful they thought of me, but as I said, it really depends on the circumstances of the situation in which the offer was made.

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be offended at all. That would be really nice.

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Offended...I'd be delighted!

11. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

My friend in Toronto is my height and of similar coloring and buys designer labels. Unfortunately, we're built so differently that most of her things still don't fit me, but when she offers them I am not the least bit offended. :rofl: Since I lack her talent for rich husbands I'm perfectly fine with whatever ends up looking better on me.

12. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

The ONLY reason I'd be offended is if the person offering it was embarrassed to be seen in public with me in my low-end labels and was trying to offer me "charity" that has more to do with helping them than me. Otherwise, I'd be all over that, haha!

13. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

LOL. My boss gave me the clothes, but they are too big and not quite my style for the most part. I offered them to a friend's Mother, who retorted that she would usually only accept new clothing, but will look at them if I drop them off to be cleaned yet again and then and only then, will she (who refuses to work and has no money of her own) deign to look at them. I would have the vintagy Lily Pulitzer stuff altered, but it's not my style.

She was very offended that I was not offering new designer brands. They were offered to her because they are her style and they are very nice, worn by a woman with taste and wealth who liked fine things and takes care of her fine things. I rooted through the bag like a hog and was thrilled to find a couple of items, but most didn't fit or were not to taste. Some of the stuff is Valentino, and there was a good Coach bag I gave to my co worker.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  14. cruisin

I would probably not take them. Only because of my germ issues. Especially handbags, I worry about where it might have been put down. Which is ridiculous, I know, but… However, in no way would I be offended. I would appreciate that the person thought of me. I have given things to friends, and they are happy to take them. They also know that I am totally neurotic with the way I treat my things :lol:.

15. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

They've already been cleaned and such yes as you mentioned before? I think that's quite nice of you to be offering your friend's mother and that you were thinking of her. Offended? If she was going to be giving you that attitude, I'd say nuts to you and take it to someone who you know who would be thankful and grateful.

That being said, I could accept it like cruisin, but I'd do what I could to make sure I had it clean because I too, am a major germophobe, but I wouldn't be offended in the least at all! I think that was very nice and thoughtful of you!

16. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Next time you talk to her, can you see if she can find a rich husband in gay for me? They seem to be in short supply these days! :rofl:

17. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

:lol: sorry, she used up her matchmaking ability on me, successfully, which is why I was in Toronto in the first place. Her gay guy friends are earnest arteests with more taste than money. :p

18. cruisin

Leesaleesa, why don't you donate them to an organization like Dress for Success? These are women who are trying to enter or re-enter the workforce. And who do not have appropriate clothing. They would be appreciative.

19. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Since she wouldn't take them graciously, I'd sell what you can't use on craigslist. (Donating works too!)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  20. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Agreed with what the last couple posters have said. If you can't sell anything then donate them to a charity program such as cruisin mentioned. I think that's a fantastic idea and a really smart thing to help those who might not be otherwise able to afford it.

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I donated many of my mother's business suits to "Dress For Success".

22. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

It really is a fantastic concept! I love that idea myself!