lutz help (+drawing of tracings!)

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Spazactaz, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

haha, the jump tracing thread inspired me to post this.

my technique on my lutz is MESSSSSSSSED up... it makes the triple way harder than it should. when i pick in..... the weight from my skating side lifts up. so when i take off... there is a huge gap between my feet.

a perfect lutz should have the skating foot come pass right beside the picking foot on the takeoff

here's my lovely drawing of the ideal lutz vs my lutz:
    http://i51.tinypic.com/4s1p1e.gif

ANY SUGGESTIONS for what i can do to get from mine to the ideal?? i think i'm hopeless as i've been trying for like 5 years to change the technique and can't.. but i'm always open to hear new things! :D thanks!

2. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I am not a coach but shouldn't you have the draw? Your muscles pulling the legs together. From your pictures, you must do some pulling because the legs are not that appart, so it is just the last bit. What about pulling more forcefully until the legs are very near to each other? What it is that doesn't allow to get the front leg nearer, do you run out of time and need to jump?

3. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Do you mean you reach too far back?

4. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Is there anything like reaching too far back? When I do Lutz, I am trying to reach as far as I can (while making sure my top part of the body does not bend too much forward). I found that the further back I reach, the stronger my Lutz is.

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

It is hard to tell if your technique is messed up by just a tracing. Are you able to post a clip like you have done in the past?

6. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

I have a similar problem, it is not the case that we don`t reach back far enough (I do), it`s the case where after I pick, the takeoff does not draw in enough before I lift off which causes the space in between the blade tracing with where the toe pick was placed making it much harder to do :(

(Of course, mine is even worse, as my toe pick placement is actually crossed over even more)

7. smarts1

The thing about getting TOO much of a reach is that the jump will end up getting longer and lower, and you'll probably end up under-rotating the jump. But of course, you need a good, solid reach to get some good height and rotation.

So the OP's problem is that she puts the toepick sort of like right behind the skating leg?

8. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

yeah my free foot does pick behind the skating leg way too much as well... fixing a flutz caused that, and now it's pretty much impossible to just reach straight back behind my hip. :(

i try as hard as i can to draw the foot in... it just doesn't work. i don't understand WHYYYYYY. i'm not sure if it's a problem of reaching too far back... most skaters do this, but are still able to somehow gather both legs underneath them before they jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAl9oCjeo64
    there's a video with some lutzes though... it's hard to see what i'm describing though. most people say my lutz looks normal but then they DIEEEEEE when they see my tracing and don't know how it's possible how i jump it at all.

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yes ! It's obvious on the video. Your left foot is too far from your right foot when you leave the ice.
    It's the same technique as Joubert, but Joubert has such a great power, I guess he is able to compensate !
    You need to rework your single and double Lutz, I guess. But I'm not a professional !

10. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

There is certainly a draw back in your take-off, but possibly not enough to give you the momentum to complete the jump.

I've watched the second lutz in your video over and over again. It's starting to look like your upper body is not in sync with your lower body. You're doing a lot of counter rotation in your hips, which gets you onto an outside edge, but it looks like your right shoulder isn't following the right hip. You're pulling the left shoulder back slightly and rotating over the center of the body, instead of the right side. Maybe that's why you fall out of the circle every time.

Then again, I'm no elite-level coach :) What does your coach say??

11. smarts1

^ Yeah, his right side is too dropped. Bring it up and the jump should be fine.

12. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

I don't have a coach. Though I have worked with several different ones on this, some who even coached Olympic champions... none of them were really able to figure out why this is happening or what to do to fix it. So many different opinions, etc.

But yeah fixing the right side may make the jump fine.. in the sense that it's landed. My triple lutz was consistent for many years, but now I don't think I've landed one probably in over a year. I want to fix this so badly because I know the jump will be suuuuuuuper easy if I was doing it correctly instead of it taking like 100% of my energy and strength to force myself through it. :(

13. minx

minx New Member

The set up is textbook, but on the reach the hip pops out and your body is out of alignment. Left hip out/right shoulder compensates. I didn't know you were still skating, can you do varsity or Triathlon or something like that this year?

14. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Good luck then!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  15. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

You know who I am?? haha.. who are you? But yeah.. after I did so badly last year I sort of stopped for a while, and figured it'd be pointless to compete anymore without at least up through triple axel consistent.

and I realize what you guys are saying... there are definitely other aspects of the jump that can be fixed as well.. but it's just this one specific problem that I want to fix. And I don't think changing the things being mentioned will help with being able to draw my foot in and jump with both of my feet underneath me. That feels like my main issue, and if I fix that then the rest from there will be easy.

16. smarts1

^ Maybe then you could change the entrance to get what you want. Skaters who do a shorter entrance like a crossover into the lutz (ie the entrance Slutskaya uses) tend to toepick farther away from the skating foot and not directly behind your skating leg.

But either way, yeah your shoulder alignment is not good and you are dropping the right side.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  17. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Well, the goal is to land the jump, yes? Consistently and correctly? I really didn't see a huge problem with the shorter draw-back in the entrance, and based on the video, I don't think that is what is causing you to fall, either. Of course, the videos were not close-up or slow motion, and there are only a few attempts in them. It's hard to say.

Do you have video of you landing triple lutzes? If you've been landing it consistently for years, as you said earlier, let's figure what's different in the jump.

18. minx

minx New Member

Spaz - I recognized you. I am at challenges every year, sometimes volunteered, sometimes not. I won't tell but will say hi next year when you're back :)

19. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

there's one landed from the same day in this vid (though it's not the greatest):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhvPGXexhuw
    i can't find one from my earlier years at the moment

but really the goal right now is just to fix the technique.... if i really needed to land the jump i'm sure i could manage, but i don't want it to take SOOOOOO much energy and strength because of my horrrrrrible technique. it's probably bad on my body too. everyone says their 3lutz is just super easy and natural...... but mine does NOT feel like that, while the rest of my triples do... so that's all i want... i don't care if it takes forever before i land another one as long as it's fixed :p

20. smarts1

^ Try to change the entrance (to like a short crossover and not a straight reach back)! It should help with your toepick placement.

And you really need to bring the right side up on the takeoff.

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

What do the tracings on your single and double lutz look like? On the triple you're definitely picking up the skating leg before it reaches the toe-picking leg. Maybe you're anticipating too much about having to pull in quickly for the triple?

22. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

ooh ok. :p I don't know if I will ever be back though! haha.

ok i just found and uploaded a video from way back in the day... when it was super easy to do a 3lutz:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgBHta2N2HE

the technique is still bad, there's still a huge gap in between my feet when i take off.... but everything was easier when i was younger. :p

thanks smarts1, i'll try both those things tonight.

the tracings for double and triple are the same.... the hugest gap between the feet. on a single if i concentrate suuuuuuuuper hard i can draw them together a bit, but then my lutz is realllllly ugly! but even when i concentrate 100% on drawing them together there's still a decent gap. it's so frustratingggggg, i don't understand WHY!

23. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Yah, right. all of us!!! My 3lutz is just underrotated by about 2.5 revs. :p

24. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

25. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

You are taking such a long time to reach back and pick. If you just focused on picking QUICKER, then your picking foot wouldn't have time to get so far behind you and you wouldn't have such a long distance to draw back before leaving the ice.
    This seems to be the theme of the week, as my coach has been trying to get me and one of his other skaters to pick more quickly on our lutzes. It has really helped me fix my flutz, stay straighter in the air and get better outflow on my lutz landings!

26. smarts1

How's the new lutz?

27. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Hmmmm.. I've never heard to pick quicker before. I'll try that as well.

The "new" lutz is still non-existant. :p But I've been trying for like 5 years. What I REALLY need to do is just STOP doing anything besides singles until it's fixed........ but it's EXTREEEEEEMELY hard. Triple jumps are like my favorite thing in life... and doing sal, toe, loop isn't enough variety so I get bored and just need to do my messed up lutzes. :S

28. smarts1

^ Can you also do a triple flip? Or is that not in your jump repotoire?

29. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

I can do flip but it's worse than the lutz. It has no snap into the rotation. But otherwise I think it's pretty much the same problem, haha.

30. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

So did you try picking quicker? How did it feel?