Lululemon takes a hit

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Yazmeen, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

These yoga pants and clothes are very popular with women skaters in my area. I guess I'm an anomaly in that respect, but I don't see the value in paying $100 for yoga pants when I get beautiful, well-fitting ones for $30 or less on sale from Victoria's Secret (and their PINK collection ones have beautiful heavy duty but light feeling fabric that is definitely NOT see-through). I have friends who spend a small fortune on Lululemon. I just don't get it whey they feel the clothes are worth the very high cost. Of course, I also don't buy really expensive jeans or much designer anything for that matter...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/21/lululemon-sheer-pant_n_2924326.html?ir=Business

2. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I bought a couple of pairs of mens pants last year before the whole see-through debacle and I loved them, very comfortable and form fitting. I really enjoy them, but I do think that this will hurt the company and reputation unfortunately.

3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I don't. Luluheads will be Luluheads forever, and one bad batch isn't going to change that. It's not like the company was being deliberately deceptive or maniuplative. They just made a mistake.

If anything, the media frenzy -- and short-term "shortage" due to the defective pants being recalled -- will I think result in net growth.

Plus there's a whole new market: the men who had previously never heard of Lululemon and now are searching Twitter and Youtube for pictures/vids of women bending over wearing the pants in question. :eek:

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Meh. I am over Lululemon. I just got a killer pair of workout capris from Athleta. Friggin awesome.

5. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I think we'll see Lulu take a nice jump up over the next 6 months. And, if you look at their chart for the last year or so, you'll see it has taken some dips below where it currently sits.

I don't see it going anywhere.

O-

6. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I like Under Armour and have lots of Nike fitness wear. I also really like Kyodan from T.J. Maxx / Marshalls. A lot of people say Kyodan and Lulu's are very similar without the $$.

7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

They're super cheap, but I love my Old Navy workout pants :shuffle: Athleta's great too.

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  8. KCC

KCC Active Member

The article attached in the first post calls the company Lululemon Athleta. Are they the same company? I get Athleta catalogs in the mail but do not see the Lululemon name on the cover. How are the two related?

9. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

From a quick google search it looks like Lululemon has the name Athletica attached and Athleta is a different company.

10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

If money was not an issue, I would totally be one of those people who buy Lululemon clothes but never work out in them (I especially like their light jackets). My workout clothes are my "big" clothes. Living in the birthplace of Lulu makes me stand out. The Cardio Kickbox class that I go to every weekend Downtown, *everyone* is wear lulu, while my t-shirt is flailing about in the wind like a sail.

I do have my "fancy" workout clothes like when I am participating in a running event, which I bought while outlet mall shopping during Skate America. $7 dollar shorts (with zippers!) at the Outlet Old Navy, baby!

11. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I thought this was hysterical! I can't believe this is "major news"!

12. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

:eek: for the women, but I think the company should take the Lululemon lemons and make lululemonade by launching a men's line using that fabric for the gay circuit crowd or gym bunnies who like to wear as little as possible :lol:

13. Yazmeen

I think part of it is that Lululemon promotes a "lifestyle" with their clothes, not just wear these and exercise. I have to roll my eyes at one woman who "didn't exercise until she bought Lululemon and had cute clothes to exercise in" and now she's a serious runner/whatever. I like looking nice when I exercise, but as many have pointed out, you don't have to spend a fortune to do so. Today, another $10 "Angel Reward" went toward another pair of PINK yoga pants at VS. Total cost in the end? $24.50. And no sheer worries... ;)

Athleta is Gap. The formal name for Lulu's exercise wear is Lululemon Athletica.

14. cruisin

The one advantage with Lululemon is that they have something in the fabric that is supposed to prevent "stink". Though I have two tanks and, trust me, when I walk in the summer, I stink! :lol:. I think it's over priced, and some of the styles are not really workout friendly.

15. Yazmeen

16. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I bought most of my workout clothes at Wal*Mart. They're still going after more than a year.

17. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

The obvious bad batch aside we have tried many brands of yoga pants and lululemon has always been better in every way...

But I made a discovery the past year. The brand Zella from Nordstroms. They are at least 1/2 the price of lululemon and just as a great economic alternative. Apparently the woman in charge of athletic wear for Nordstrom (Zella brand) used to work for lululemon so while the material isn't the same, they are in every other way.

Just wanted to share that for those who love lululemon.

18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Walmart and Target here. Some of my yoga pants are a heavily used 5 years old.

19. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I buy my yoga pants at Costco. They are awesome.

20. cruisin

I have never seen any work out clothes for women at our Costco. Wish they did have them.

21. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I'll just stick with my Pajama Jeans. Love em! :D

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  22. MacMadame

Well, it's Costco so you know even if they have them this month, next month, who knows? :lol: That's why I bought 4 pair and Mini-Mac and I fight over them.

23. cruisin

They, sometimes, get Nike things for men. And they, occasionally, get "workout wear" (mostly baggy capris and weird jackets, that would not really work) for women but all they ever have are L & XL. I would love it if they got real exercise wear.

Stopped at Nordstroms today, needed another pair of running leggings for Pilates. I tried on the Zella - FANTASTCIC!. The fabric is really soft and has enough lycra. And the styles are very similar to Lululemon and half the price. got a black pair of leggings and a long sleeved top. Can't wait for tomorrow to wear them!

24. MacMadame

I actually get most of my stuff from Sports Basement, a local chain, that sells actually sports apparel from the normal brands like TYR and Zoot and Adidas and Under Armour (and about 10 others) as well as online when I order stuff branded for events or clubs. I get the impression a lot of women are hesitate to shop at places like that or maybe just don't know about them and that's why a place like Lululemon can get away with charging an arm and a leg for stuff that really isn't all that exceptional if you know the full range of what is available.

25. cruisin

I go to Dick's, for workout clothing. I go to Lady Footlocker for running shoes. I don't like to spend a lot on workout clothing, but I will spend on the shoes. I walk 3 miles a day, outside. I wear Nike 360 Air Max. They are pricey ($140 - $175 depending on verso).
    And they last me about a year. But the full sole air cushion helps my knees and lower back.

They do have a Lululemon outlet, an Under Armour and a Northface outlet up in Woodbury Commons (NY). So, when we go there, I check out what they have.

26. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Yes, how can I forget about Zella?! I ♥ my Zella pants! This thread just reminded me, I need to visit the Lucy store near me.

27. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

So is Lululemon this decade's Juicy Couture (asks he who is innofashionteknik)?

28. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I don't think so- because as a fashionnoteknik myself I recall thinking people in Juicy were paying too much money and looked like idiots. I think people in Lulu are probably paying too much money, but maybe not, and the clothes look nice. Since they are standard workout wear, they should stand the test of time. Juicy does not and to the non-trendy, it really didn't even then.

29. MacMadame

No. Juicy Couture isn't meant to be worked out in. It's totally fashion clothing. Lululemon is athletic wear. Totally different markets. Totally different looks. The only thing they have in common is that they are expensive.

30. cruisin

Agree. though Juicy is far more expensive and is made like crap. My daughter was the age that wore the warm up suits, when they were popular. Three or four washings and they started falling apart. The fabric was so cheap it frayed. As much as lululemon is overpriced, it is a quality product.

Love my new Zella pants and top! But, they only sell it at Nordstroms and they are out of the "Live In Leggings" in any color in small. I hope they get more in!