Lululemon? Athleta?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by myhoneyhoney, Dec 23, 2012.

1. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! It's been a while. The holidays and the kids' schoolwork has kept me unbelievably busy. Oye! Anyways, I need new workout clothes. Hubby and I have been going to the gym 5 days a week for almost 2 years now and I've noticed that my clothes from Target and Walmart are just not cutting it. I'm eyeing Lululemon and Athleta items but I'm hesitant because they're expensive. Are they worth it? How do they compare to more readily available ones like Under Armour, Nike, and Reebok? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

I am a creature of habit and I love lulu gear, it fits me well and the outlet is very close to my house (I never pay full price) the other day they had all shorts on for 10$ a pair. I like the stretch it gives , and I wear mine a lot and it has held up. I never put it in the dryer or wash with towels .
    I wear under armour for outside training because it is nice and toasty :) my kids wear it for lacrosse as well, they really like it. I have not tried it inside. I really like les layers inside, I tend towards shorts and the knee level tight crops. I do find that find that the name brand items last me longer.....

3. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I wear Nike running skirts and they are awesome. I do love my Underarmor as well. And I have a super cute running skirt + capris from Lucy which has held up really well. I have one cute tank top from lululemon and it is nice.

I just buy what's cute. :shuffle:

4. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

GAP has some really nice athletic wear now (called GapFit). They just started this line a few months ago. Every 6 weeks or so the entire store is 40 percent off!

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

My niece swears by Lulumon. She teaches dance classes several times a week. What she likes most is that the Lulu gear doesn't seem to require extra effort to launder. She just throws them in a regular wash and air dries.

6. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Yes, it's worth the money! The fabrics wash and wear very well, and the clothes are very versatile and functional. I"m not as crazy about Athleta since it's been bought by the Gap (quality has gone down just a bit).

Lululemon is great; also try Lucy and prAna for great workout/yoga clothes.

Sugoi makes fantastic winter running tights; my favourites are the Subzero which keep me toasty warm even when it's -10F!

7. KCC

KCC Active Member

I buy pretty cheap stuff and had good luck -- JCP for shirts ($7) and simple Adidas shorts ($12). No issues with odors, fit is nice and they launder well. I am not looking for the most stylish stuff for working out -- just plain function, and these work for me. I save my "cute" purchases for the stuff I wear after my workouts!

8. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

I really like Lucy pants and Nike shirts

9. myhoneyhoney

Thank you for all the input! I'll be looking at these other brands mentioned. There's a Lucy outlet not far from me (I've never even heard of them until now) so I'll be checking them out soon. Hubby has a lot of the Under Armour cold gear tops and I like them, so I'll be checking out their hoodies and jackets.

I'm just so fed up with buying those work out tops at Walmart and Target only to have them unravel within 3-4 weeks! The pants do the same thing.

10. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I'm fond of Lululemon. I've had a few pairs of pants for 7 years and wear them constantly. I wash them like regular clothes, and despite being told not to put them in the dryer, I do anyways. Mine are still in great condition.

They are expensive, but they last. They are worth the price for what you get, definitely.

11. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Everyone raves over lulu, so I got a pair of pants. They're fine, but I don't think they're any more special than my Nikes which were half the price...

12. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

^ I agree. Plus for women they have some very odd and unflattering cuts for tops, like shirts and jackets that billow out or pleat in weird places. I like my workout gear to be fitted. I also find the material in the shelf bras of their regular tank tops to uncomfortable Practically everyone I know loves lulu but I think it's overpriced and not that special. I bought a pair of yoga pants on sale for $15 at Forever 21 and they've held up well for over a year now of very frequent use and I like them just as much if not more than the $110 pants I bought from Lulu. YMMV.

13. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Another endorsement for GapFit for good value. The line has been around for well over a few months, though (at least a year) - I think they only recently started giving it it's own menu on the web site home page - it used to be just an option under Women. :)

14. TheGirlCanSkate

I almost forgot - my daughter fell in love with a jacket from Nordstrom by Zella. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/zella-z...extualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0 it's not something I'd ever spend that much money on for a 10 year old and it made her look 18 (another negative :p), but it was beautiful. Looked kind of like being a Bond girl.... Anyway, it's another option. Plus she was fascinated by the peplum zip off.

15. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I think lululemon is worth every penny, especially their sports bras. They really aren't any more expensive than the high end Nike, Under Armor, etc... and I've had way better luck with lululemon lasting and looking good longer. Having said that I avoid the trendy stuff and I never pay full price.

16. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

That? is gorgeous. :swoon:

17. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

oh and another endorsement for underarmour cold gear - I use that when I ride in the winter, it is great.

18. TheGirlCanSkate

It felt nice too - she didn't want to take it off. Not as stretchy as most jackets, but she felt like a movie star in it. I have to stop letting her shop with me. I know she gravitates to things that look really good and have a hefty price tag. :yikes:

19. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I used to love Lululemon -- yes, they're a little pricier, but it really is very well made, and lasts a good long time. However I started going off them when they stopped being local and started manufacturing in China instead of Canada (victims of their own success, really -- they just couldn't keep up with demand). I don't think they're sweatshopped, but the attraction of supporting a locally made product is now gone. So they're just not worth the big price tag any more.

I also have big issues with their sizing ... but that's a whole other story.

20. myhoneyhoney

GapFit and Zella added to my "check it" list. I'm eyeing this Zella skirted capri, it's adorable! The leggings received wonderful ratings too.

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Lululemon tops are great! Built in bra, hold up well in the wash, look awesome. What else is there? I have a couple of Athleta pants, like those as well.

One thing about lulu--they don't take items back if they are on sale. A friend bought an item on sale, found a hole--they refused to take it back. Keep that in mind and inspect stuff carefully before paying.

I do have a really nice workout T-shirt from Old Navy that cost a quarter of the price--love it! The difference: no support and the look is cute but a lot more basic.

22. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

I haven't owned them long enough to speak to durability, but Kyodan items are sold in TJ Maxx/Marshall's/Winners stores. I picked up pants like these, which are very handy for petites. Knot the tie at the back of the leg and no hemming required, awesome. :cheer: I paid $24.99 at Marshall's when stateside, have seen them for 29.99 at Winners in Canada.

Interesting reading and speculation about Kyodan on this Lulu wear blog post and in the comments.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

One tooth is still made in Canada.

24. TheGirlCanSkate

Zella is also at Nordstrom Rack.

25. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I wonder how I've never heard of this brand?? I see they even have a store in my city. Do you have any experience with them?

I think I'll check it out this afternoon.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I've been wearing their tops and sports bras for a few years now and love them. The only caveat is that the white fabric dulls after months of washing. A few times a year they've had a 50% off a second item sale.

27. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

My sister-in-law thinks that as soon as she acquires lululemon yoga wear, she will instantly be able to achieve new yoga poses when wearing it. Because of their "research and development". We were supposed to give her a $100 gift card for it for Christmas. We did not as we didn't spend that much on anyone.

Nike has always worked fine for me. But apparently their "research and development" is not advanced enough.

28. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Sierra Trading Post often has prAna, Lucy, and other brands marked down to very reasonable prices. Also check out 6pm for discounted fitness wear.

29. myhoneyhoney

Thanks for all the tips on where to get discounted items. I'm a stay at home mom and on a tight budget so these will help a lot!

30. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

So, I bought a One Tooth hoodie today. It seems nice, almost as well made and as warm as all my Lulus. I have quite a few because I wear them when I'm out of the office touring the warehouses of my company.

I'll see if they hold up as well after a winter of wear and washing. And they're $40 cheaper than Lululemons.