Lucinda Ruh Interview

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

2. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Thanks Sylvia....interesting read.

3. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

"Since I was very little, I would spin for at least two hours a day and the last 20 minutes or so were always dedicated to creating new positions. I loved ballet, so I would incorporate all my ballet experience into the spins as well. I would just create the positions I saw in my mind, as I always saw myself more of an artist than an athlete. My mother, as my most influential teacher, would say whether the new position was a keeper or not, and so on I would practice and create."

Just wow.

4. luCN

luCN New Member

hope she can teach skaters how to spin well.many skaters can't spin beautifully nowadays...

5. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

One of my all-time favorite skaters. It's so good to hear from her.

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Imagine!
    It's amazing just to think about that; much less to do it.
    Awaiting her book.

7. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

I like Lucinda, as she is quite the lyrical skater and not merely a "one trick pony".

8. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

She's an amazing person.

When I was skating in Northern California (either 2005 or 2006) she came to teach a camp, but also offered private lessons. My mom was kind enough to set up two lessons with her (I think in part because she wanted to meet Lucinda herself) and so I was very blessed to have her help on spins. I distinctly remember her grabbing my left arm and "snapping" me into a scratch spin. She was very kind, and I learned a lot of things that I'll never forget, even from just two lessons.

My mom ended up sitting with Lucinda's mother and little white dog during my lessons, and my mom was just totally spellbound by the whole thing. So was I. Lucinda was around for about a week, coaching all my club-mates in spinning. I remember her working on a spin combo with one of the girls in the club. She was demoing a sit-spin, and her knit hat fell off mid-spin. She caught it and put it back on without even losing the position.