Lubov Iliushechkina & Yannick Kocon have paired up & hope to represent France

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Split off from the Russian news thread:

2. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

The article also mentions Nicolas Hejzlar (Czech rep.) and Méliné Habechian, who tried out with Kocon this year.

The quote from Lubov: "I wanted to go on the ice out of pleasure and not out of duty" tells it all.

We should see them at the Masters competition in October.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ilushechkina and Kocon are extremely unlikely to become a threat to the Russian teams so Piseev really could just release her. :/

4. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Well, probably not immediately, but if she managed to place with Maisuradze sixth at Europeans just when they were freshly out of Juniors a few years ago and Kocon managed to be sixth at Europeans twice, they shouldn't be 'completely useless'. I can't see them beating the Germans, or Volosozhar-Trankov, or Kawaguti-Smirnov, but if she becomes more consistent with her jumps, they could easily medal at the Europeans after the Olympics, when these three strongest pairs probably retire. I know that Lubov had a huge issue with the jumps the last few years, but from the interview Pavlova gave in April/May, I think the training environment wasn't very nice for her, and that can have a huge impact on jumps.

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I agree with you, it sounds like her training environment and her coach was her Achille's heel and nothing more. She is young enough and so is he that they could do really well if the stars could align for them. I just think she had a bad season last year and just couldn't take it anymore. I hope they do well.

6. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Ooo, France will now have 3 good pair teams. I'm not holding out much hope for James/Cipres to improve a lot, but Popova/Massot and now Iliushechkina/Kocon both have potential. Hopefully Lubov will get released sooner rather than later by the Russian Federation.

I agree with what's been said about her having a tough season and I am hopeful a more relaxed training environment would be better for her -at least for starters.

7. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

We'll have to wait to see if she can get away with this. Hopefully they'll release her but she can also end like Morgan Matthews, Vanessa Crone or Julia Vlassov :S. A shame if that happens.

8. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Vanessa Crone is still looking for a partner and I'm hoping she finds one. She posted on FB there would be an announcement made this week-end. Am still :fragile: about Vlassov and Hogner never getting a chance to compete, but am hoping you're prematurely sticking a fork in Vanessa's career.

9. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

here is what I think:

Liubov is very upset not only with her previous coach but also with the Russian Fed for not doing enough for her when she was in her hell zone with Pavlova, by skating for France stubbornly, in a way she is giving a middle finger not only to Pavlova but to her Federation as well .

clearly she loves skating but previously she looked like she was burdened from her last partnership and coaching, poor Liubov :(

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

How about: She found a partner whom she gets on well with and a training environment that works for her? :p

11. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

:wall:

12. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

The Pairs training environment in Paris is far from being ideal. Since Stanislav Leonovich left, the program took a big nose dive. JR Racle and the Francais Volants team is probably a more nurturing environment, but most French pairs end up wanting to leave Paris to improve their skills. Camps with Ingo in Germany or in Montreal can be costly and the French Fed won't financially support multiple pairs.
    Lubov and Yannick have to show that they can be the number 1 French pair if they want support.

13. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Anyhow, things worked out as she wanted:D I hope they have a good career ahead of them!

14. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Hopefully they don't view it as being given the "middle finger," as that may not bode well for a quick release.

15. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I believe (correct me if I am wrong), at the time when Marina Anissina left Russia for France, France was not exactly any brilliant training environment for dancers. As far as I remember from one of her interviews, she was shocked by their working morale (or lack of it). She was describing it like if they all did it as a hobby and not an elite sport. I think she said in one interview that the French spent 15 minutes every morning kissing each other on cheek and asking how they are, instead of getting on with hard training. :lol: ) My point is, if you have a talented pair, where they get on with each other, reasonably good coach and nurturing environment, you can get somewhere even without support of French skating federation. And if they eventually become French pair number one, I am sure federation will start supporting them.

16. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

They can't hold her longer than two years from the last time she competed for them last time internationally, is that correct?

17. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Sure you can, but it would be that much easier with official support. When Bonheur and Canac teamed up, they were training at daytime public sessions since they were getting no funding at all. They ended up retiring (even if they looked very good for such a new pair) and I would think this lack of support played into it.

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Yes and no. USFS had rules in place ~ 2006 that allowed them to hold skaters who had certain placements for four seasons, which is what the told Morgan Matthews they would do, even though they later released Zavozin in a shorter time.

According to Rule 109 paragraph 5, the ISU Council can grant an exception to the usual rules, which include the requirement to get federation release. However, the rule has been in effect since at least the Constitution before 2008, and I'm not sure there's ever been a case where an exception request has been filed.

The interesting thing is that if an exception is granted, the skater/team isn't part of either country's quota of spots. It's like the skater/pair is an invited guest of the ISU. If they win prize money, I wonder where it goes, since, usually, it's submitted directly to the federation.

19. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Has there been any cases of such recently? It's really interesting/odd.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Re-posting from the Russian news thread:
    ETA their SP result/scores at the French Masters competition:
    3 Liubov ILYUSHECHKINA / Yannick KOCON 47.60 [27.54 TES, 20.06 PCS]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  21. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a clip from their competition at French Masters?