Lubov and Dylan - Wowza!

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
....as they should. Living here is an immense privilege (as it is for many countries), not a right. It's not like a club you sign up for to enter a country and live and work there.

There are quotas to observe in terms of sheer numbers, the skill sets we are importing, representation across emigrating regions and countries, background checks...tons of things that have to be researched and balanced. It's much much more than verifying the forms are complete. All immigrants go through the same process, regardless of background.
For Luba specifically she has to address how she plans to support herself and contribute to our economy (or is she here to live off the government?). That's very complicated to explain for a skater. You hope to win prize money and skate in shows and coach, but she can't produce a job letter with a salary on it. Bureaucrats aren't skating fans (usually)...that makes it all very complicated.

Frustrating for us as skating fans who are champions of her future, but in a general sense I feel the immigration process could not be thorough enough.
The class that she'd be coming through is the economic entrepreneurial "self-employed" category, which is exclusively for world-class athletes and cultural figures and for those who have the intention of buying and managing a farm in Canada. The people who manage these applications are trained to recognize who qualifies. They would know from her application that she'd already supported herself as a coach before moving to Canada, although this is a qualification neither Weaver nor Gilles had and isn't part of the criteria for this immigrant class, and they'd know that as a representative in Canada at World Championships that she qualifies for the class. They are experienced with processing applications from world-class athletes in far more obscure sports that never make it to TV except for three minutes in an Olympic year.

The issue is where she comes from. Every country is assigned to a visa office, and every visa office has to process whatever distribution of applications it gets with the resources it has. The strike a few summers ago by the visa professionals set back some offices more than others, and some offices have extremely long processing times. Were she from the US, she would likely either have it by now or be much farther along with the process, with diligence and processing requirements being the same, regardless of country.

Yukari Lepisto

Does anyone why their lifts in SP and LP were invalid?? hope they can figure it out by next competition. It seems that it's the same type of life that got invalid in both programs

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I'm sorry but I don't know how to cross-post.

This is a copy of a post from @luenatic in the pairs SP thread in the COC forum which explains it exactly:

His hands were on her thighs while pushing up. That's not group-4 hand-to-hand lift. Her thighs were resting on his hands for balance and then he pushed up using her thighs instead of her hands. It's more like a hand to thigh lift.

Here is a screen cap on the set up. His hands were clearly on her thighs.

http://i64.tinypic.com/29xb68y.gif

On the way up, his hands were still pushing her thighs

http://i67.tinypic.com/10d9lk9.gif

lauravvv

Does anyone why their lifts in SP and LP were invalid?? hope they can figure it out by next competition. It seems that it's the same type of life that got invalid in both programs
alilou posted the explanation about the SP lift, but the LP/FS lift was just completely aborted - he didn't even lift her up.

Yukari Lepisto

yup, thanks alilou and lauravvv I remembered the lp wrong and thought it was the same problem. But I'm sure they will make it work by next competition! They're usually good at lifts.

shan

I hope NHK is a better competition for them. I wonder if they succumbed to nerves in China because (aside from jump issues) they usually don't have such lift issues. I'm sure they are thrilled to have 2 GPs, but having to travel to Asia twice in 3 weeks is tough.

barbarafan

Pictures from the Ekaterina Gordeeva – From the Heart show. :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BALudznrLD0/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BALuqAsLLEO/

I wish there were videos of the show.

Hi Shan..if you go on facebook and find the group We Love Ekaterina Gordeeva & Sergei Grinkov.....join the group...there are lots of vids....from people who went..they are pushing stars on ice to post vids as well...they said maybe at the end of the month...the group asks you not to share anything posted without tagging the poster but there is lots to see

shan

Hi Shan..if you go on facebook and find the group We Love Ekaterina Gordeeva & Sergei Grinkov.....join the group...there are lots of vids....from people who went..they are pushing stars on ice to post vids as well...they said maybe at the end of the month...the group asks you not to share anything posted without tagging the poster but there is lots to see

Thanks for the tip. :)

shan

No earth-shattering information here (obsessed with cheese?), but really cute pictures in their Meet the Senior Pairs bio.

http://skatecanada.ca/2016/01/meet-the-senior-pairs/

And...I dreamed the other night that Lubov broke up the partnership to skate pairs with Ilia Kulik, because that makes perfect sense.

:lol: Nice dream! Maybe because of Katia's show?

Thanks for the link to their bio. :)

Debrah

Always wonderful to have a personal season best skate at nationals! Very happy for them. I so enjoy watching them skate their best! There is so much more chemistry tween them now. Gosh, it is wonderful to see Lubov actually land her jumps!

screech

I actually found them slightly undermarked, but so happy for them (and MT/M). Three Canadian teams in the top 10!! And Luba's triple toe was gorgeous - better than Dylan's!!

shan

I actually found them slightly undermarked, but so happy for them (and MT/M). Three Canadian teams in the top 10!! And Luba's triple toe was gorgeous - better than Dylan's!!

I thought they were undermarked in PCS too. I think the early start order hurt them. I was excited to see that they held the lead for awhile. :)

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
They were so good yesterday! Lubov is such a star, and seeing her smile and enjoy skating is awesome :)

I hope they do well in the free skate!

geoskate

Great SP from Luba and Dylan!

and a great free program too!

What's exciting for me is that I think they still have room to get even better, although this was a major stepping stone for them.

shan

Yay!! I'm so happy for them! That sbs 3 toe combination was great! That was the best of the season by far. And Luba's reaction to their score was wonderful. She's adorable!

barbarafan

and a great free program too!

What's exciting for me is that I think they still have room to get even better, although this was a major stepping stone for them.

I agree..they got a level 4 for their twist and when you look at their pcs they had 4 9's and the rest 8's from all the judges except for 2 where they

gave them 7's. this gave them averages of mid 8's. I am sure this is just the start...I just read that Dylan was skating with a hip injury.

shan

I agree..they got a level 4 for their twist and when you look at their pcs they had 4 9's and the rest 8's from all the judges except for 2 where they

gave them 7's. this gave them averages of mid 8's. I am sure this is just the start...I just read that Dylan was skating with a hip injury.

:rofl: For a second I read your post as "they had 4.9's" And I wondered who would give them such a low score. Reading for comprehension is a good thing! :slinkaway

:( I hope Dylan will get time to take care of that injury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information