Lu Chens best program Last Emperor or Rach?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Lnt175, Jul 14, 2013.

?

Lu Chens best program Last Emperor or Rach

1. Last Emperor-1994-1995

34 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. Rachmaninoff Concerto-1995-1996

43 vote(s)
    55.8%
  1. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

2. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I like that The Last Emperor was choreographically very different and absolutely striking. I also think it succeeded in presenting Lu Chen as an artist who knew how to move to and express music. I don't like how the program ended though as I felt the last piece of music made it anti-climatic.

Rachmaninoff was her masterpiece, IMO, as it was the best she ever looked and moved. However, structurally, the program was pretty standard to the point of generic. What makes it great is that the movement and music worked so well together and fit Lu Chen perfectly.
  3. duane

duane New Member

My favorite skater of all time!! I love Chen Lu!!

Rachmaninoff!! And yes, she was SO robbed of Worlds 1996 gold! Her 1994 Olympic LP is my second favorite Chen Lu program.
  4. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

It's close, but The Last Emperor.
  5. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

I was thinking of including her 94 and 98 programs but one was before her peak and other one past it, although both are beautiful programs in their own right.

For me Last Emperor is actually a more interesting program, although its hard to argue with the perfection of Rach. She actually only skated LE twice in big competition (NHK and Worlds and a few other cheesefests the next season).
  6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Last Emperor was a more choreographically full, complex, and packed program while still being extremely beautiful, musical, and subtle. So I picked it. One theory some had about Chen`s loss at the 96 Worlds was the program while absolutely exquisite and performed superbly, was not filled with enough difficult connecting moves.
  7. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Slightly OT, but has a vid of her 97 le mer lp ever surfaced anywhere?
  8. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

^Apparently even Sandra Bezic (the choreographer of Lu's La Mer) remembers very little about the program. Perhaps it's some kind of huge cover up conspiracy. :sekret:

To me, they are both works of art....so the answer to the question is "depends on my mood."
  9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That is TOUGH. They are both programs I could watch over and over again. One is just classic (Rach) and the other is a little more unique (Emperor). It really does depend on my mood as to which one I want to watch.
  10. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

The Last Emperor is one of my favorite programs by any skater, and I love that she won her world title with it. I only watched skating sporadically in the 1990s, and this was one program that I do remember from that time.

Wasn't it choreographed by Toller Cranston? That might explain why it seems so different.
  11. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Rachmaninov!!!!!!!!!! Lu Chen was my favorite skater!!!
  12. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Sorry, I mixed the two up. It's actually Rach I prefer lol.
  13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I like them both, but for different reasons, because they are so different.
    But Rachmaninoff is the program I can watch every week, 17 years later.
  14. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Rachmaninoff Concerto i think was better
  15. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I did not care for the Last Emperor program, even though it won her the world title. Rachmaninoff was a beauty. I wish she had won with it.
  16. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Yes, both of her programs were choreographed by Toller in 1995 (although Lea Ann Miller was also involved in the SP) I have a vague recollection of some kind of falling out between them after that, but the details are escaping me now. I'd guess it had something to do with the interference of the Chinese fed.

I love both programs but I went with The Last Emperor because of its creativity and uniqueness. Tough choice though!!
  17. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

I like The Last Emperor because the choreo is so unique, but I love Rach (my fave from Lu Chen). While the choreography was arguably simple, the mood she created with that music is just a lot more effective on me. And even as a MK fan, I think the title could have gone to Lu Chen.
  18. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Rach rocks!
  19. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

The Last Emperor.
  20. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time deciding ... but I really like the dance in the middle of the Last Emperor.
  21. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I went with Rachmaninoff. Lu Chen's program was simply amazing! :cheer2:
  22. duane

duane New Member

I never liked the part in The Last Emperor at 1:31. Looks like she's having convulsions.
  23. frillit

frillit Member

Chen won the World title with her Emperor routine while her Rachmaninoff was not good enough for the World title. So I picked emperor.
  24. VIETgrlTerifa

Well to be fair, I think Chen's Rachmanioff probably could have won Worlds in 1995 as well while Chen's Last Emperor may have still lost to Kwan's Salome. Of course, the latter is hard to say.
  25. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Chen would have needed to land her second Lutz to beat Kwan in 96 worlds with Last Emperor (which she doubled in 95 and as it turned out noone else skated well enough to challenge and Kwan herself was still too juniorish). If Chen skated it the way she did at NHK eariier in the year along with staying in the top 3 after the short, I think she would have won gold in 96.
  26. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I absolutely love Last Emperor. She used the music brilliantly. Huge fan of the opening and the dancing sections. Love her arms.

Also, somehow I think the construction of Rach 2 didn't allow her to hold her spins that long and that proved to be costly in 1996. In 1995, she was actually spinning adequately and to the music!
  27. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I loved both these programmes, but artistically I thought Butterfly Lovers was equal to, if not superior, to Rach 2.
  28. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

Placements have nothing to do with my preference. I loved both of these programs too but I think Rach 2 was much better technically. They were pretty equal artistically although I prefer Rach 2 there too. Also in 96 she was much stronger in the short.

I don't think Kwan was gifted for winning but I also wouldn't have thought Chen was gifted either. If ever there was an argument for 2 golds, in my opinion this would have been the time. They were both as close to perfection as humanly possible.
  29. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

mine too! Thank you so much for starting this thread, Lnt175! This is a tough one, because i thought both programs were exquisite but i will have to go with Rach 2 for the reasons VIETgrlTerifa mentioned, although i agree with others that the choreo of Last Emperor was more difficult and more interesting. In concerto No. 2, Lulu's quality of movement was just breathtaking...she really became one with the music. The way she attended to the quiet, the space...i can't even put into words what i want to say. Brilliant artist. <3

I remember Bezic describing the creation of this piece, and how at one point, where Lulu places her arms across the front of her body of opposite sides and then raises them a bit and opens them up, she asked her to envision herself removing her robe. It was sort of symbolic of Lulu's metamorphoses as a young woman who was maturing and coming into her own. That has always been one of my favourite moments of the program. I wish o much she could have won another world title that year.
  30. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Another of my favourites. Gorgeous.
  31. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Rachmaninoff was her masterpiece, but her programs from 1993-1994 and 1995 were really very underrated. She had a wonderful sense of musicality and timing, and her connecting steps and construction were IMHO the class of the field during those years. I forgot how much I loved her Last Emperor.
  32. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

My choice is Emperor - unusual music choice, innovative and fresh. I like Toller's choreo to the music, the moves were in sync and in character with the music.

I like Rach too, but it's been used a few times. ;)
  33. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

To answer the title of this thread, "The Last Emperor", but her very best program imho was "Butterfly Lovers". Just breathtaking, emotional, touching, eloquent, surreal, not enough adjectives to describe that performance at the Olympics. Without fail every single time I watch it I cry. *bow*
  34. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

I agree with this. Bonus points too for the gorgeous red costume, personally designed by Toller. Loved everything about it--the flat-pleated skirt, the asymmetrical front/back necklines, and the richness of the color.
  35. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

This is easy. She easily won the 95 Worlds with Last Emperor despite only 5 triples and a big mistake. She lost the 96 Worlds with Rachmaninoff despite 6 triples and a much stronger technical skate than the 95 Worlds. So obviously Last Emperor was artistically and choreographically a much stronger program.
  36. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Erm, how long have you been watching skating?
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  37. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I bet you also think Katarina Witts 1st place finish at the 1988 Olympics indicates that she was a better freeskater across the SP and LP than Midori Ito.
  38. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Last Emperor had far more intricate choreography. Rach was beautiful but had alot of plain stroking around between elements. That was one reason she lost to Kwan in 96.
  39. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

I love Rach better! I think she should have won that year! Just can't get enough of it. Still enjoy it even today. It was mesmerizing. To confess, I could not warm up to Michelle after 2006 World as though she robber Lu Chen. I know it was not her fault. I would say that Lu Chen's Rach to Michelle Kwan's LP in 2006 would be like Yuna Kim's Les Mis to Zijun Li's Coppelia of 2013.

PS: I really really love her Butterfly lover LP at the Olympics. Although it was flawed, the choreography, the performance still bring tears to my eye each time I watch it. One of my all time favorite from all skaters.
  40. VIETgrlTerifa

You saw Michelle Kwan's LP in 2006? :eek:
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.