Lower Ranked Skaters

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by PashaFan, Dec 29, 2011.

1. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

There are lot's of lower ranked skaters I have loved both in the present & past.
    Okay, they were lower ranked for a reason. Being inconsistent, slow across the ice, not trying as difficult moves as others & so on.
    But I'd really like to find out on this thread who else loved the lower ranked skaters. Who you liked, why you liked them & the programes you remember them doing.
    Some of my faves are IDORA HEGEL-The 2004 Worlds Free Skate stands out for me. She seemed like a real character. And I really enjoyed watching her.
    ELENA GLEBOVA-I know she's still around but she had so much potential a few years back but seems to have stalled. Her Short at the 2009 Skate America was my fave from her.
    TUGBA KARADAMIR-Always a pleasure to watch. A real positive attitude in the kiss & cry. Her Short at the 2008 Europeans was the best I saw her skate.
    TEODORA POSTIC-Robin Cousins was always quite critical of this girl when he was on commentary but even though she was very inconsistent I still loved watching her. Her Free Skate at the 2006 Europeans my fave from her.
    So please tell me who you liked, not just ladies skaters but all lowere ranked skaters !.

2. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

Marion Krijgsman (21st at 1991 Worlds): I still love her "Power Cats" SP from the 1991-2 season; she had a nice 3t.
    Vanessa Giunchi (2001 Italian Champion, 20th at the 2002 Winter Olympics): She brought emotional intensity and total commitment to the choreography in each of the performances of hers that I've seen. Her Bolero FS: Diva headband + Bejart-influenced choreo = winning at life.
    Diane Szmiett (4th at Canadians at least once; topped 100 points in the FS at 2009 Cup of China): Beautiful edges. I find it a shame that she never medaled at Canadians.
    Shoko Ishikawa (9th at 2010-1 Japanese Nationals; skated twice at NHK): An elegant skater, though I fear that the high point of her career was her Tchai Violin Concerto FS at last season's Japanese Nats and that she lacks the sheer athleticism to do much more.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I loved Ivana Reitmayerova in her early years.
    I'm so disappointed with what she is doing these days and hope she'll be back at her best :)

4. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I'll second Giunchi and Reitmayerova and add Paolo Bacchini, Peter Liebers, Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Fleur Maxwell, Elene Gedevanishvili, and Cheltzie Lee.

5. briancoogaert

Fleur Maxwell :swoon:

6. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Jamal Othman

7. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I'm so glad you said Vanessa Giuinchi. She was a great personality.
    I loved her at the 2003 Europeans.
    Anyone remember Tatiana Malinina?. I really liked her.
    In Ice Dance Wing/Lowe.
    Jennifer Robinson?. I thought she was fantastic at the World's in 02,03 & 04.
    Her 2002 World's free skate was a fave of mine. A great pro skater too.
    Also I was sad to see the Zaretski's retire so soon. They were getting better.

8. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

Seconded.

If skaters who made the top ten at Worlds can count, then I must add Susan Humphreys to my list. Even with numerous errors, her programs during the 1995-6 and 1996-7 seasons (esp. her Acceleration Waltz SP and Mendelssohn Piano Concerto No. 1/Chopin Andante Spianato FS; sorry, neither is on YouTube :shuffle:) are, for me, eminently rewatchable. Among the virtues of her skating were excellent basics, good spring on the jumps, gorgeous camel and layback spins, and a very fine arabesque spiral for its day (though I just know there'd be some back and forth on FSU about the extension of the free leg). She's my favorite Canadian lady.

9. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

A few others; Fraser & Lukanin (where did they go?)
    I'm not sure how to spell her name-Mikkaline Kiergarrd. She was fantastic.
    Galina Maniachenko.
    Also in pairs, Scott & Dulhabon. I LOVED their 2000 Worlds & Four Continents Free Skate.

10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Sean Rabbitt, Jonathan Cassar, Joelle Forte, Samantha Caesario

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  11. kukkura

kukkura Member

Duh. Ruh!

12. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

I've always liked Lucinda. Fleur Maxwell, Elena Gedevanishvili, Tuggy, Rory Flack-Burghart, and (this is going back) Josee Chouinard.

13. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Mikkeline Kierkegaard (in singles and in pairs with Norman Jeschke)

Suzanna Paurova (Babiakova)

Idora Hegel

Stephanie Rosenthal

Vanessa Giunchi

Anna Rechnio

Diana Poth

Silvio Smalun

Gheorge Chiper

Ivan Dinev

Stanislav Timchenko

Yamato Tamura

Vakhtang Murvanidze

Grebenkina & Azroyan

Handra & Sinek

Kulikova & Novikov

Borzenkova & Chuvaliev

Pla & Bonheur

Berankova & Dlabola

Bestandigova & Bestandig

Lefrancois & Blanchard

Spassova & Todorov

14. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

THIS. I just blogged about her yesterday. Her musicality was :swoon:

15. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Anna Ovcharova
    Rosa Sheveleva
    Yretha Silete
    Min-Jeong Kwak
    Juulia Turkkilla

Peter Liebers
    Jorik Henrick
    Chafik Besseigher

Duarte/Grafton
    Donlan/Speroff

16. paulee

paulee Member

For mens, I like Viktor Pfeiffer of Austria, and in the past Michael Tyllesen and Sebastien Britten. Their musicality and artistry was very good.

For ladies, I liked Yan Liu and always hoped she had a breakthrough performance to elevate her into the top 10 (came close with 11th at Olympics). Also liked Beatrice Gelmini ('No Business Like Show Business" SP in Calgary was quite good) and Katrien Pauwels of Belgium. Her SP at Calgary set to Spanish music was very musical. (can you tell I just finished watching an old tape of the Ladies event in Calgary). A skater I was happy see make a comeback in the 90s was Yulia Vorobieva. I thought she had good jumps - not sure what happened at the end of her career, as she petered out in the 40th's of rankings.

For pairs, I liked Berankova/ Dlabola and thought they could have made a breakthrough. Same with James/ Bonheur, and I hope they do well with their new partners. I like the current #2 German team, Hausch/ Wende as well.

For ice dance, most of the teams I really liked eventually made it into the top 5; however, when Copely/ Stagniunas did not compete at Vancouver I was disappointed because I really liked what I saw from those 2. Tobias/ Stagniunas hopefully will continue climbing in the ranks. I also like the Czech dance team of Myslivecova/ Novak.

17. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

17 posts and no mention of Gizmo yet?! :drama: Although she might kick my ass to learn she's considered a ''lower ranked" skater. ;) Loved her facial expressions after she skates (usually disgust). She also had a good lutz, great footwork, and is the only skater to void out to "From a Distance"! :inavoid:

Kristina Oblasova, back in the day, had it all. Good skating skills, great jumps, gorgeous, good expression, and slutty. To this day one of my favorite skating interviews is where she went on and on about how much she wanted Joubert. :rofl: Unfortunately, the patrying and injuries derailed her career quickly, which is too bad because I thought she really had it all and could have been a real star.

Sanna Maija Wiksten of Finland skated to Basic Instinct and had a voidy 3sal-3sal sequence.

Courtney Hicks rocks. Hope she recovers because she has a really attractive recklessness to her skating, which is a quality I love.

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

19. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

So glad Spassova & Todorov were mentioned. I really liked them.
    Anyone remember Kulikova/Novikov (I think that's the spelling) they competed at Euro's & World's in 04 & 05. I loved their 05 Free dance.
    Agree about Josee Chouinard, she was so amazing. Check out her free skate at the 95 Trophee de France on youtube. I know she made errors but it's one of those programes that has stayed in my memory.
    Also Annabelle Langlois was a real talent. A shame she never won a World medal in pairs. Her free skate at the 03 World's, short from the 04 Worlds & short from the Vancouver Olympics were lovely.
    Others; Jennifer Kirk, Ilia Klimkin & in ice dance Lang & Tchernyshev.

20. sadya

sadya Active Member

Some are already mentioned. I'll add Lenko Kulovana who was always lovely to watch as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw5Hr-UDFEw

I liked Gates/Shalom too. Winkler/Lohse weren't bad either, I can't remember if they ever won a medal at Euros and Worlds or not.

21. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Katie Winkler & Rene Lohse won a Bronze at the 2004 Worlds in Dortmund & then retired. They were a really exciting couple to watch but made a lot of errors at major championships. Their ying/yang free dance was a fave of mine.
    If they had not fallen at the 2003 Euro's I would have had them with a Bronze medal.

22. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

+1 !

didn't know 'Amazing Grace' before her program (must have been the Lillehammer SP, right ?). loved it.
    4th at Euros in Paris after the SP, thanks to her 3T-3T. saw a slo-mo of an attemp of 3Lo once, just when the skating airing started.
    she was 'the other skater with Surya that could do a 2A from scracth'.

23. UDelpairs2012

UDelpairs2012 New Member

She is a great coach in the Northern VA area now with her husband Roman :)

24. Diyoris

Diyoris New Member

Great thread, because they also make me love skating.

YAN LIU (CHN)
    She has a wonderful skating quality and I love both of her programs at the 2006 Olympic Games in Torino: SP & FS

TUGBA KARADEMIR (TUR)
    Always musical and joyful. Her 2006 and 2007 SP comes to my mind as well as her 2010 SP.

IDORA HEGEL (CRO)
    I enjoyed watching her because she was determined. I remember her doing a Zorro program, but I can't recall when it was.

But also Michelle Cantu, Binshu Xu, Yea-Ji Shin (1988), Shoko Ishikawa, Yukari Nakano or Risa Shoji (I hope she will not be a lower ranked skater in the future)...

ADRIAN SCHULTHEISS (SWE)
    A different skating. I'll always remember his 2010 FS.

ZOLTAN KELEMEN (ROU)
    Seems a nice skater, great technique but not that powerful and not that consistent.

VAKHTANG MURVANIDZE (GEO)
    Great show-man, yeah !

VOLSOZHAR & MOROZOV (UKR)
    Powerful pair, huge lifts. Too bad they didn't capture anything. I remember their 2005 FS, but also most of their recent programs like: 2007 FS, 2008 FS, 2009 SP 2010 SP, 2009 and 2010 FS.

BERANKOVA & DLABOLA (CZE)
    They made progress, and were finally a great couple.

SHKLOVER & MINTALS (EST)
    I don't know why I remember them, but I liked them.

HUANG & ZHENG (CHN)
    They look smooth on the ice.

NAVARRO & BOMMENTRE (USA)
    I like their 2010 OD.

JINGU ICE MESSENGERS GRACE (JPN)
    Always a pleasure to watch, you can't get bored watching them: 2010 FS.

TEAM BERLIN (GER)
    Great team too with good energy: 2007 FS.

HOT SHIVERS (ITA)
    The way they skated reminds me skaters like Giunchi or Berton: 2009 SP. They changed their way of skating last year, it looks more like Nexxice of Canada now.

25. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I too loved Vakhtang Murvanidze. He had a great personality.
    I think Idora Hegel's Zorro programe was in 03/04. One of her best.
    Anyone else liked Rennik & Sakhs from Estonia?. Yes they were slow & had easier programes but her throw jumps were very good. I felt so sorry for her at the 2004 Worlds in the Free skate.

26. Diyoris

Diyoris New Member

I remember Rennik & Sakhs!!! Yes their throws were pretty good, but the rest was not that good, especially lifts.

27. briancoogaert

So were her arms :swoon:

28. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I don't think Diane Rennik had a lot of trust in herself. I also think that with a stronger partner she could have placed higher than she did.
    I still liked her though.
    Anyone know why they quit?. I thought they would carry on until the Euro's were in tallin in 2010.