lovely interview with sasha cohen

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by iggie, Sep 19, 2012.

1. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

found this lovely interview with sasha cohen. i don't know if it was posted yet, but sasha was recently interviewed by michelle phan regarding life after the olympics, balance, and yoga.

you can watch it here

2. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

The diet she followed as an athlete is downright scary.

3. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Really? She set out three pretty substantial meals, two snacks and unlimited vegetables....when Johnny said he basically survived on Starbucks, and one meal of a small portion of grilled chicken and veg, that seemed much scarier.

Braulio and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Japanfan

I agree that Johnny's diet was stricter - seemed like a starvation diet, but Sasha's strikes me as stringent and very low calorie for a competitive athlete. Two egg whites - four almonds - one grapefruit - no oil-cooked restaurant meals. I wouldn't call it substantial even for a non-athlete. Rather, it would be an excellent weight reduction plan.

5. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I don't know, she said three egg white omelette with mushrooms and spinach for breakfast, apple and almonds for a snack, grilled chicken with salad and balsamic for lunch, grapefruit as a snack, grilled fish and veggies for evening meal plus she then said as many veggies as you can eat to fill up.

It sounds strict, but not insignificant, just sounds super healthy and clean living, which I would expect for an athlete who has to keep their weight down as much as possible.

6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

So basically no carbs of any kind? I would be so depressed with a diet like that. It's one thing to cut out carbs to lose weight but to make that a long-term, every day thing... no thanks ;) Also, wouldn't an athlete in training burn up a lot of calories? It just doesn't seem very sustaining.

7. waddlercu

waddlercu Member

Well, there are carbs in fruits and veggies. I'm actually encouraged to hear that she was able to eat that much and maintain her size. Sounds like her plan was to get the most out of a relatively low-calorie diet.

But yeah... I'd be depressed if I followed that for very long. I run in part so I can drink beer and eat pasta. ;-) Good thing I don't have to squeeze into sparkly costumes very often.

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

And we all know she had sugar--her website blog entries were always full of making chocolate, baking and eating ice cream. I would guess the quantities were very limited.

9. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I've heard of people linking grains and sugar with depression, but not fruits and vegetables. I know you guys mean depression colloquially and not literally - that it would suck not eating the things you love. But her diet sounds pretty healthy and vibrant to me. Everything on that list has great nutritional value. There's no wasted calories.

Although, four almonds? What is even the point then? :lol: I'd rather just not have any than have to stop at four.

10. Zemgirl

But real, delicious carbs come from pasta and baked goods and sweets and stuff like that, not from grapefruit! Seriously, it just sounds depressing, and inadequate for an elite athlete who trains several hours per day.

BTW, there's a blog I read called Hungry Runner Girl - she seems to eat endless amounts of carbs and junk, but also runs all the time; I think she did 40+ miles the week before she had her baby (!). She is so thin and looks to be in great shape... I wish I could run but I don't think my knees and feet could take it, so I do other things, and skip the beer :D

11. waddlercu

waddlercu Member

Seriously, that kind of calorie restriction would get to me over time. I run 30 miles a week and nurse an infant... I'd be constantly hungry regardless of how many celery sticks I ate. (Don't worry, I don't drink beer while I'm nursing. ;) )

Maybe it's perfectly sustainable for a baby ballerina.

Off to have my afternoon oatmeal...

12. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I had the exact same thought when she said that! :lol:

13. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

still gorgeous and Sasha is aging very well :cool:

14. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

At least she's not lying about what she ate! (Like actresses tweeting photos of steak, etc, then they don't eat for a week afterwards.) I was really curious what Sasha was doing in 2010 because she was thinner than even her baby ballerina days. It does seem like low calories, but she was definitely focused, and only for a short period of time. I think it would have turned out better if she had started more in advance. She would have probably not had to go on such a drastic diet and have the injuries that derailed her Grand Prix. It doesn't seem sustainable, but then again, Katerina Witt hardly ate anything (according to her bio).

15. Japanfan

In one of Toller Cranston's books he talked about Witt being a very hearty eater when competitors were supplied with food trays backstage. Toller said he was jealous, he being so concerned about his weight.

16. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I think doing exercizing, and exercizing the sport you love on top of it, is the greater power against depression.
    I love chocolate, but guilty pleasures don't even come close in terms of feeling good to exercising.

Plus: I don't think she had much choice in terms of eating if she wanted to be in the sport the way she was. She'd only have to stop that diet if it was un-healthy. But Sasha never looked un-healthy, in her latest come-back she looked a bit down, but I don't think it had to do with her weight as much as with knowing she wasn't going to cut it.

She would bake, she would order cake and buy ice-cream, but I'm not sure she went on and eat.
    I remember her mentioning she would only sample - maybe back in Paris with TT.

I think she only had an entire ice cream cone in Turin, after her silver medal and before failing worlds.

17. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

This. I have never seen Sasha look better. School and New York seems to agree with her.

18. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

:lol: she's 27 not 72! I shudder to think of what hard living one would have to be doing to be aging poorly at 27. Even "wrong side of 30" bobek looks spectacular, meth addiction rumors et al.

19. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

A great interview. Thanks for posting. Agreed - Sasha look wonderful. The long straight hairdo is much more flattering than the short curly 'do that she wore with SOI last year.

20. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

Agreed, her diet sounds pretty reasonable, and extermely healthy. Everything she's eating is what I'd call "fuel food". Nothing wasted, and maximizing lean proteins and nutrients. It's ambitious for sure, but not out of the ordinary for both professional athletes or regular people.

Almonds are high in protein, but they are very very caloric. If you want to build muscle mass, almonds are great to eat first thing in the morning, but in relatively small quantities -- like 5 or 10. Since Sasha is quite short, 4 seems pretty reasonable.

21. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Maybe Kat was a DIPE-er (google it). :lol:

22. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

My half sister was an elite gymnast who went to the Olympics twice, and her diet was similar.

This diet is not uncommon.

23. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Maybe for the extra protein? I thought nuts contain protein but I may be mistaken.

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Oh no question, almonds are awesome nutritionally, but I would just have a really hard time eating less than, say, 10 at a time. They're so addictive.

25. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I agree, and I remember at the Boston SOI meet-and-greet, which was later the same day that Sasha got that haircut, Todd Eldredge saying to her, "Well, you could always get those extension things." Guess he thought she looked better with longer hair too! Sasha was saying that she loved her hair short. Assuming that she has not been wearing extensions over the years, it does seem like her hair grows incredibly fast compared to most people. I think she just likes to experiment with different styles.

26. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Definitely sounds healthy.

27. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Well, one day you do 10, the next day you may argue that 12 is nearly the same as ten, then it will be 15 and in a few months you may notice that you are polishing off a bag of almonds a day. They may be good nutritionally, but having a bag every day would be a lot of calories. Besides, I don't think she was eating them for enjoyment. She was probably eating them because it contained the nutritions she needed. Similar to taking a cough mixture - you just take it because it is good for you. If you like it, that's a bonus, but it still doesn't mean that you have to drink the whole bottle.

28. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

What makes you think that Cherub721 doesn't understand that? :confused:

29. Zemgirl

I think that if you are disciplined enough to stop at four, you'll be disciplined enough to stop at whatever number is chosen.

I only like roasted almonds myself.

I still find Sasha's old diet really questionable - it can't possibly be more than 1,200 calories a day, how is that enough for an athlete in training? I'd be hungry all the time if I was eating almost nothing but veggies and lean protein, not to mention it's boring and doesn't seem like something you'd get much energy from. Also, shouldn't a healthy diet include some whole grains? And additional sources of calcium?

Sasha does look good these days, I must say - better than she did in her competitive days. I'm happy for her.

30. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I have no idea whether Cherub721 understands that or not. I wouldn't know what is Cherub's relationship with food. I was describing my experience, but maybe Cherub is not as greedy as I am, who know! :)