Love Never Dies

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DarrellH, Mar 8, 2012.

1. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I saw it last night at the movies. It was one of those special showings of a Play. I really enjoyed the staging and the music. It was a staging of the Australian production. Nice interview with Webber preceded it.

It's the sequel to Phantom Of The Opera.

Did/has anyone else seen it? If so, what did you think?

2. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Haven't seen it, but everytime I see the title, I think it's the "Love Never Dies" episode of Ghost Whisperer from the second season premiere.

3. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

LOL! The title always makes me think of a James Bond movie.

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:lol: Makes me think of a Nicholas Sparks novel.

5. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Wasn't a great title choice, was it?

6. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

All of my friends said it was like a spoof of AWL writing a sequel to Phantom. Except AWL thought it was serious.

(I didn't see it.)

7. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Especially as it lends itself to jibes like "Paint Never Dries." Then again they say the Australian production's the new revised version so it's supposed to be better...

(And I'm sorry, but 1001 Leroux's-in-the-public-domain-generated Phantom sequels in the world and they run with Forsythe's "The Phantom of Manhattan"?)

8. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I love the song "Till I Hear You Sing," but I'm still so frustrated that ALW took "Our Kind of Love" and turned it into this show's theme. It was such a great song. Now it's going to be impossible to do anything with "Our Kind of Love."

9. MLIS

MLIS Active Member

I saw it in London a couple of years ago. The score is actually quite lovely in places, and the performances were pretty good (saw an understudy for the Phantom who was struggling a bit). The set design and production values were excellent, of course. The book is laughably, hideously bad. It feels like fan fiction written by a 13 year old with a crush on the Phantom -- he's just misunderstood, not evil! Raoul is a jerk who doesn't deserve Christine! etc. etc. etc. I laughed out loud more than once, and it wasn't supposed to be funny. At intermission I turned to my companion and said "I knew Andrew Lloyd Webber was nuts, but what's amazing to me is he got all these other people to go along with him."

10. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Money talks. ALW's richer than God. Too bad he's also nuttier than a fruitcake.

11. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I have heard the revisions make the show at least watchable. However, the early version I saw in London was laughable. I remember some on here posting a link to the plot summary. I honestly thought it was a joke.

12. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

Saw it in London, and felt it worked as a stand alone musical, but not as a sequel to Phantom. It's certainly one of his best scores for years, although the book is rather weak. Also watched half of the filmed Australian version before giving up - I muched perferred the London staging & the Australian Phantom was beyond wooden.

13. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I just saw this on PBS last night. What on earth was that?? Yes, the music was lovely, but there were parts that were definitely weird, and there was a ton of character assassination going on.

Christine has second thoughts about Raoul enough to visit and sleep with Eric the night before her wedding?

Meg turns into a jealous psychotic murderess?

Raoul, a drunk gambler?

It seemed like the only character that stayed true to form was the Phantom himself. But it wasn't enough to save this turkey. I hated the ending, and overall I'm so glad I didn't buy the DVD when I had to chance, sight unseen.