Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Even Martina Navratilova crumbled under the pressure of expectations to win her 10th (?) Wimbledon and lost the final to Conchita Martinez. The pressure of expectations can get to the best. Serena will still be considered one of the best tennis players ever among ladies.

Yehudi

AITA
Even Martina Navratilova crumbled under the pressure of expectations to win her 10th (?) Wimbledon and lost the final to Conchita Martinez. The pressure of expectations can get to the best. Serena will still be considered one of the best tennis players ever among ladies.

Navratilova did not choke that final. First off, Martinez was actually the higher seed in the tournament, even with the lesser grass court resume so it would not have necessairly been a cake walk. Second, Martinez won because Navratilova was a serve and vollyer while Martinez had an amazing topspin backhand and on that day, she hit a ton of them that went right by Martina. Third, who is to say the pressure was any less on a girl playing in her first slam final and probably knew she wouldn't have had that opportunity had Graf not lost in the first round that year.

Lorac

Team GB make it through to the Davis Cup final - for the first time in 37 years. A little like last year with Roger Federer committing for Switzerland Andy Murray has been the decisive factor in this success. Fingers crossed for the final!!

peibeck

Simply looking
And the U.K.'s Johanna Konta impressive run at the U.S. Open moved her up almost 40 spots in the WTA rankings.

Megi

Speaking of rankings, Nole's current point total, (16,145) is the highest in the history of the ATP rankings. :respec:

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Belinda Bencic destroys Caroline Wozniacki 6-2 6-4 to advance to the Toray Pan Pacific Open final. Will play either Radwanska (whom she beat in the Eastbourne final) or Cibulkova in the final.

:cheer2::biggrinbo:cheer2::biggrinbo:cheer2:

Last edited:

liv

No surprise. While we know of her nagging injuries, I think it's her mind that needs a break most of all. It was an emotional roller coaster for her, especially the Open, and anyone would need that rest. She deserves it.

OwenEvans

I don't doubt Serena is over it at the moment. She had the Grand Slam in the bag and choked it away. Her disappointment must still be total, so a break is the best thing for her.

tamuno

Poor Serena. Her heart is broken. This has NEVER happened to her before. In solidarity, I can't bear to look upon that Italian now (someone I never even noticed before). On the other hand, I thought the other Italian was retiring, why is she back?

Seerek

Roberta Vinci ("the Italian" has a name) is retiring at the end of the year.

It's U.S. Open champion Flavia Pennetta that has plans to retire at the end of the year (though I wouldn't put it past Pennetta to continue on to perhaps Indian Wells/Miami next year given how good she is on hard courts).

OnyxRose81

I know we all have our faves but remember to treat everyone with respect, especially if they're just doing their job.

D

Deleted member 40371

The fact Serena turns up at the Olympics, a competition without any price money says a lot about its importance. If she wished she could have just not turned up for 2008 and 2012 Olympics, after all she had won a gold medal from 2000 version. I also wonder whether Serena remembers how many Wimbledon title she has won. I think the reaction of people like Monica Seles, who believes that the Olympic bronze medal she won at 2000 is as important as her 9 grand slam or for that matter Federer's reaction when he won the Doubles says a lot more about the worth. Also, Masha Sharapova is scheduled to play in Fed cup finals, because without playing that she can't play at the Olympics next year. Masha has pulled out of so many tournaments this year and has made Singapore and Fed cup a priority for rest of the year.

OnyxRose81

Djokovic defeated Nadal in the Beijing final, 6-2, 6-2. Nadal played better than he has been but it's still nowhere to being good, let alone how he used to play. Novak was suberb (except for his slight stupidity when serving for the match, per usual. At least he didn't get broken). But back to Nadal. He has steadily gotten a bit stronger with every tournament but I'm not sure if he'll ever be the Rafa of old that so many want him to be. It's Rafa so I'm not counting him out though.

Seerek

Top 8 for ATP World Tour Finals looks pretty much locked in (#8 is David Ferrer)

WTA Tour Finals' Top 8 still unclear, with the last 2 weeks to decide the final qualifying spots (only 4 players have clinched spots, while A. Radwanska, Kerber, Safarova and Pennetta will try and clinch this week).

Seerek

Men

ATP Finals Top 8 set (Kei Nishikori and David Ferrer take final 2 spots).

This week: ATP BNP Parisbas Paris Indoors

Women

WTA Finals - Singles (Singapore):
Agnieszka Radwanska def. Petra Kvitova

Coming up:
Fed Cup Final - Czech Republic vs. Russia

Seerek

Fed Cup Final

Czech Republic defeats Russia 3-2 to retain Cup
Sharapova def. Karo Pliskova
Kvitova def. Pavlyuchenkova
Sharapova def. Kvitova
Karo Pliskova def. Pavlyuchenkova
Karo Pliskova/Strycova def. Vesnina/Pavlyuchenkova

ATP World Tour Final Round Robin Groups

Stan Smith Group
Djokovic
Federer
Berdych
Nishikori

Ilie Nastase Group
Murray
Wawrinka
Nadal
Ferrer

Rottie

It would be funny if the four WTF semifinalists were the "Big Four," and they might well be.

Rottie

Well, only Andy Murray fell short, and his focus has been on Davis Cup so it's not that surprising. Another Djokovic vs. Federer final!

tamuno

Djokovic be the man. I hope he continues the same way next year. He has tied head to head with both Roger and Nadal. By the way I heard Roger's Gillette contract may be expiring soon hence the 'I don't know where to get another razor' look!

Seerek

The Davis Cup Final between Belgium and Great Britain is still planned to go ahead as scheduled this coming weekend in Ghent, Belgium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information