Love, Balls and Courting : Tennis IV

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Ugh, I have to leave to go teach a class about 45 minutes into the final tonight. I don't suppose my students could just study on their own?

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Congrats to Serena on her 5th US Open title! It was a great match.

3. duane

duane New Member

As expected, yet another Djokovic/Nadal match is living up to expectations. I think this is without question the best ever rivalry in men's tennis.

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Djokovic vs Nadal is too lopsided off clay (heavily in Djokovic's favor) to be anywhere near the greatest rivalry. On clay the last 3 years it has been an awesome rivalry, but anywhere else it is all Djokovic. If Nadal finds a way to lose this final after the way Djokovic has played this event and his semifinal it will be the nail in the coffin for good for any chance of that being a real rivalry.

Serena vs Azarenka is the best rivalry in the game currently IMO, since even though the record is lopsided now their CURRENT abilities are virtually equal on almost all surfaces. The next best is Murray vs Djokovic for the same reason. Murray vs Nadal also has potential if they can play more, off of clay they are pretty evenly matched anywhere else.

Djokovic vs Nadal is too reminscent of Federer vs Nadal where the more accomplished player is generally the slave to the other.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

If Novak loses, I'm holding you and your dumb predictions personally responsible

6. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

^^ :rofl: What a revision/retraction of judgejudy's assessment of Nadal vs. Djokovic on anything other than clay.

7. judgejudy27

I didnt emphatically state Nadal would lose today, I only said If he cant even beat Djokovic given their current circumstances (Djokovic playing an over 5 hour marathon in the semis, way off form this tournament and lucky to even be in the final, and Nadal in top form and playing some of his best ever hard court tennis) there probably isnt even the faintest hope for Nadal in their future major meetings off of clay. He would have to win today to even give a glimmer of hope of making it a real rivalry off clay which it definitely hasnt been thus far. As for their rivalry being lopsided off clay since they became the top 2 that goes without saying, numbers (not opinions, but facts):

2011-2013 head to head on clay: 5-4 Nadal
    2011-2013 head to head off clay: 6-1 Djokovic so far, 3-0 in major finals

Some rivalry, minus clay. Thus far it is only a clay rivalry.

Djokovic vs Murray is a way better rivalry since you have no idea who will win on any surface, apart form maybe Djokovic being a near lock on clay only.

8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm so sad that I didn't get to quote it! The "Nadal is Djokovic's little bitch" line is just classic.

In all seriouness, NOVAK :wall: I can't believe he lost that set!

9. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

No, iirc what you stated just before the 3rd set was that Nadal was Djokovic's b!tch on anything other than clay.

10. judgejudy27

Well he is. 6-1 record and 3-0 majors final off clay the last 2 years (the period they were generally the games top 2 players). I am sure you are aware of that if you follow the game but if you need insurance I would be happy to link you to their head to head so you can see for yourself. Nadal winning today wouldnt say much, but would just save himself from complete eternal hopelessness in the rivalry and a glimmer of hope to make it more competitive in the future, given the circumstances both came in under.

The best rivalry of all time doesnt have a guy go 1-6 vs someone at the height of both of their powers.

11. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Off topic but the one thing that drives me up a wall about tennis is that they still have that "let" rule. For crying out loud, the guy hits a great serve and because a machine says he skipped the net it doesn't count. Just play the lets, already! Off soapbox.

12. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Damn it! I had quoted judgejudy's ridiculous comments and started replying, but then decided it wasn't worth my time. :lol:

Anyhow... and you were saying? :rofl:

Congrats, Rafa!

13. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

:fragile:

Damn you, judgejudy, you're an effin curse!

14. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

Wheeee! :40beers:

Well worth staying up for. And worth paying for Sky Sports.

15. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Hehe, I was happy with Judgejudy's prediction... I was almost certain Nadal will win...:)

16. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I watched the last hour of the match at work because I couldn't leave it. Rafa is just......MAGICAL. I love him to death. Simply a legend and his tenaciousness is in my opinion the best ever. EVER!!!!

I'm so happy for him and I cried with him on the court.

17. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I like both Vika and Serena and I wanted Vika to take this one. But Vika showed why I really like her. I'm with JudgeJudy, Vika is poised to dominate the womens game when Serena retires. They've been talking about in the past the woman's game does not have any dominate players, Serena and Vika are the dominate players.

18. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

As a Rafa fan, I'd like to say that Novak is better on Hard courts than Rafa as Rafa is better on Clay. Also, you're only comparing the 1 1/2 years when Novak has played his best tennis. Novak record this year is 50-8 with 3 titles; Rafa is 59-3 with 9 titles.

By the time London rolls around, Rafa will regain his #1 ranking and finish the year #1. I'm just hoping that Rafa's knees can hold up another 2 to 3 years.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  19. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Aww. I wanted Novak to win. I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like choking was involved :( He's certainly lost his mental edge over the last few months. Rafa is clearly the player of the year and deserves to end it number one. Congrats to him on a second USO title.

On a VERY shallow note - Nole is skin and bones. It's aging him and he isn't quite as handsome. IMO. Very sad times.

20. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Nole's last two semis in Grand Slams have been brutal. I'd like to see what he could do in a final if he had the easier semi for once.

21. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

I don't think that is shallow, but a legit question. He is getting thinner all of the time probably due to this diet he is on. Obviously he really believes in it but you have to wonder if being so terribly thin is helping his stamina.

22. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Poor Novak, seems that losing the third set really threw him off, he just seemed to give up after that. There were some really great points in the second and third sets though.

Also :( for Vika but I fell like she's getting close. Like others have mentioned, improving her serve is key, she admitted as much in the post match interview. Great match.

23. duane

duane New Member

With Novak and Rafa battling for the year-end #1, and looking to win his 2nd USO title (and, be the only player with 2 slam titles for the season), the final should have been an instant classic. Seeing Nole check out after the 3rd set was very disappointing.

24. minuet

minuet Well-Known Member

Loving Davis Cup result! Best we could hope for after day 1 for Canada. Makes the week-end meaningful which really was about what could realistically hope for. I loved seeing all their families over there cheering together. Also interesting when you think that Nestor was born in Belgrade, Raonic is from Montenegro, and Dancevic's father is from Serbia.

25. Megi

Megi Well-Known Member

Hi guys, it's been a while since I last posted here and it's about time I change that. :D

Still very much a tennis fan. Made a trip to the US Open over the Labour Day weekend (first Slam ever, yay!) and had an amazing time. Also, got to meet two FSUers AND introduced Marge Simpson to tennis. A :sekret: is telling me she's hooked! :cheer2:

As usual, I was busy taking photos. Hope you'll have a look. :)

26. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks Nadal is doped up to the nines?

oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

:rolleyes: let him fail before you go all after him. There has never been any indication of him doping.

28. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

You most certainly aren't. In fact many are CONVINCED he is.

But can I ask, why?

29. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

I'm interested in knowing too.

30. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

A friend of mine asked me that same question the other day. She's a huge Federer fan and is quite anti-Nadal, so I didn't think much of it.

I'd bet definitely not.