Love, Balls and Courting : Tennis IV

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Other thread is over 1,000 posts.

Murray and Wawrinka currently going at it. 4-4 first set.

2. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Stan takes the 1st set after an epic final game of the set - on his 6th set point!!!

3. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Blimey - Stan 2 sets and a break up :eek: Stan seems to be in the zone!!!

ETA: Double Blimey - Stan blew Andy off the court!!! Who'd have thought that the Swiss in the semi's would be Stan the man!!!!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  4. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

STAN THE MAN :respec:
    Andy had absolutely no answers for him today.

I saw his first round match and he was serving bombs and hitting so many winners. Always liked him and I'm glad to see him finally make the semis! :cheer2:

5. Loves_Shizuka

Well. I didn't predict that (at least not so easily)

Good for Stan da Man!

6. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Stan the man! :cheer2: Since Roger went out early, it's nice having Stan to root for. I must have a thing for Swiss men. ;) He has seriously been playing well this year.

7. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Just got back!

Although I am a wee bit bummed about my Boys, I must admit that Bob played terribly today. :yikes: Mike was hustling to get the job done, but it just ain't doubles if only one person is focused and doing all the work. :(

That being said, I also must admit that I have a new appreciation for Stepanek. He is actualy rather funny on the court and he and Leander completely controlled the final two sets. It was a well-deserved win.

As for the singles, well, even Sean Connery in the house couldn't help Murray. Dude was a mess. As soon as he lost his sh!t and slammed his racquet after the first set, it was obvious he was gonna be toast.

But Murray didn't lose the match, STAN THE MAN WON IT!!! :respec: He was UH-MAZING. :swoon: And he had some glorious passing shots out wide that were just beautiful. Another totally well-deserved win for our Swiss bear cub. :)

Are there any gay men left in Europe this week? 'Cuz I swear they were ALL at the BJKUSTANTC today. ;)

8. Loves_Shizuka

^Well I'm here (in Europe) Perhaps I'm the only gay in the village this week... lonely times.

Glad you had a great time!

9. Loves_Shizuka

So

Djokovic-Wawrinka and Gasquet-Nadal

and

Serena-Li and Pennetta-Azarenka.

Apart from maybe Williams and Na, I didn't predict these semi's two weeks ago!

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

do you dream of the day you can meet other gays who know what it is like to be a gay?

11. Loves_Shizuka

^... there are "other" gays?!

:eek:

12. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i DONT think so

13. Loves_Shizuka

You see I thought not. I knew it was just an old wives tale.

14. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Quick question Fergus. I didn't watch the game but caught the BBC radio commentary and they were adamant that the crowds were routing for Murray and were very subdued when Wawrinka made a good shot and did not want Stan to win. I really thought that was them just being biased - am I correct?

15. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

One of the things that I've noticed about the US Open (and probably true for most sporting events in general), is that you have the die-hard, nut-job fans (like us! :D ) on one hand and those who go but don't really have a clue as to the game or the players on the other.

Now, although you need the latter type to fill up a 40,000 seat stadium, I have to admit they make me crazy. :wall: Up and down getting food, texting thru the match, talking LOUDLY about anything BUT tennis.....ARGH! This type was firmly in the Murray camp simply because Stan was unknown to them.

However, when it became apparent to everyone that Stan was playing incredibly well, he was getting a lot more support from the crowd in general. Before Murray changed his shirt, someone even shouted "Let's go, guy in the red shirt!"

There were enough Stan-fans (me & my party included!) who were vocal from the get go. :) He made some shots that were so unbelievable that the gasps from the crowd almost sucked in all the oxygen in the stadium.

One group even had a fairly consistent "Let's go, Stan, let's go! *clap-clap*" chant going on through the match.

I think by match point, everyone knew they saw a great match by our Swiss bear cub and the enthusiasm for his win was genuine. :)

And a NYC crowd loves nothing better than getting behind an underdog! ;)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  16. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

It's the American way! :p

:blah: Azarenka is making it easily to the final in this last set. She's a great player, but every time she strikes the ball and moans, like a ghost having an orgasm, it makes me hate her more. :shuffle:

17. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Don't hate - grunt-ate? :cheer:
    (I need to come up with something better)

I'd be much happier, as a Vika fan, if she could develop something called a serve :p

18. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Well Azarenka is heading to the final - but unless her serve improves Serena (who I am assuming will beat Li Na) will eat her up for breakfast. And while we are on the subject of Serena - why on earth is her singles semi scheduled second and then her doubles semi scheduled on the same court after 'appropriate rest'?! Wouldn't it have been more logical for her semi to have been scheduled first and thus give her natural time for adequate rest between her matches?

Thanks for the comments Fergus - I watched many a US Open match when I lived in the US and always felt the crowd got behind an underdog - especially one who plays well so the BBC comments seemed to be a tad biased - understandable I guess ;)

19. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Vika also played like crap in Cincinnati and then beat Serena in the final. That said, a Grand Slam final is a different situation.
    Obviously Serena still has to beat Na.

20. Loves_Shizuka

A bit of a damp squid semi.

Disappointed for Flavia, but thrilled for her tournament overall.

WD Vika.

21. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Serena 6-0 over Li Na in the first set?!?!? :eek: This might be over by the time I get home to try and watch it! :(

22. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

You wouldnt be missing anything at all. Na's play today is beyond pathetic. Too bad for Robson. Had Na played that way vs her she might be in the semis instead given the easy part of the draw both were in.

23. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I certainly hope the finals are better than these semis.

24. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Well atleast the last 10 minutes of the Serena vs Na match was some good tennis, LOL! The only time today there was any in either of the two semis.

25. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Hlavackova/Hradecka beat the Williams sisters in straight sets, 64 62 to make the doubles final.
    Great day for Andrea Hlavackova who won the Mixed Doubles title with Mirnyi earlier.

26. Loves_Shizuka

Hmm. Robson herself isn't in the best shape or form at present, so even if she HAD managed to beat Na, I don't know if she'd have been able to then get past Jankovic and an in-form Makarova.

27. Loves_Shizuka

Wowa up a set and a break ... :watch:

28. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Amazing how Wawrinka is doing this with no first serve whatsoever.

29. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

It is absolutely beautiful in NYC today, perfect weather for tennis! :biggrinbo :summer:

30. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Stan vs. Djok is insane! :watch: This game in particular is epic.