Looking for a smartphone

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Yazmeen, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Already have a blackberry for work, don't care to have another. Want web capapilities, easy access to my private email account, and ability to look at documents such as pdfs, slide kits, word docs as I'm in medical communications. We're on Verizon, highly considering the Palm Pre Plus as I was able to figure out quite a bit of it just handling the sample in the Verizone store. I'm not a serious technophile, don't need a lot of apps. Thoughts, please? Thanks! :cool:

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I have a Palm Pre and absolutely love it. It has a real keyboard, which is the main reason I didn't get an iPhone and it can handle more than one app at a time.

However, Palm is getting purchased by HP so its future may be uncertain. The bad news is that HP is supposed to be a tech graveyard. The good news is that I read that HP is planning to use Palm to enter the smartphone market and wants to invest and expand it.

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

HP's acquisition of Palm seems to be a pre-emptive strike against Dell's entry into the smartphone market.

While I have an iPhone and love it, it's not for everyone. I suggest spending some extended time at the carrier's store and actually using a demo for the tasks you do most. Once you've narrowed your choices, do some research at CNET or similar site to see what others are saying.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I didn't know that.
    I spent hours at the Apple store trying to love the iPhone. But I can't type on it to save my life. After a few attempts I wanted to hurl it against the wall. :wall:

5. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I have a Palm Pixi, which is really similar to the Pre, and love it. Very easy to use and figure out, and it does everything that I want it to do.

6. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I would recommend the iPhone, but since you are in the same Verizon boat as me, you can't get one. I do not like the Palm or the Blackberry (not saying they're not good, I just don't care for them). I got a Motorola Droid. It has a virtual keyboard and an actual one. It is Google based and has really fast internet connection, about 20 times faster than my daughter's Blackberry. It has a 5 mega pixel camera. The phone is very easy to use. It has 1000's of apps. It works with PC and Mac computers. They are constantly updating the operating system and making it better (more and more like the iPhone). Whenever there is an update you automatically get an alert and you download it in about 1 minute.

http://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/?cmp=KNC-PaidSearch#/home