LOL, 9-year-old skates to "Whip My Hair!"

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by aftershocks, May 2, 2011.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

2. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Very cute. When I hear this song now I just think of Allen's drag challenge.

3. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

I'm usually not a fan of hip-hop, but that is cute beyond words!

4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Nice to see that she's dressed in something appropriate for a 9-year-old. Very cute.

5. kappa_1

kappa_1 Member

so cute! This video went viral a few months back. I got a lot of facebook posts/notes from my friends about it since they know I'm into skating.

Shades of Alena Leonova

6. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

Aww, what a cutie!

7. REO

REO New Member

That song makes my toes curl but she is adorable -and damn good!

8. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

Too cute.

9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I judge a lot of artistic skating and that is one I would love to have judged.

10. aftershocks

LOL, how would you have scored her, Aussie Willy? Is the scoring system the same for this age group and type of event?

It's so endearing to see her rockin' it (as one youtube poster said, "she has her swag on...") and at the same time she's interpreting the music so well and performing really good jumps and spins. Do you think she has good technique on those single jumps? Is it normal for her age group to be doing single jumps? When do most youngsters generally progress to doing doubles? Her split jump could have had much better extension, but at nine years of age, I guess there's lots of room and time for improvement. :) Her costume, hair, and the music cuts are perfect. I wonder what that decoration on her shirt is intended to be?

11. Aussie Willy

We actually use IJS for artistic events and just mark the components (You can disable the technical part of the judging program and just do components only). So I would probably have her in 3s and maybe 4s. Which for that level of skater in my mind is very good.

I am not sure how artistic events run over there, but we do place restrictions on the rotations on jumps sometimes here. So the skaters can't do anything more difficult than an axel. It is so the skaters focus on the artistic side rather than the technical. Even at the higher levels.

12. monty

monty Active Member

I would love to hit International Judges with this music and accompanying program. We could watch them keel over like flies.

I hope she keeps skating and doesn't lose her showmanship and enthusiasm. What fun she is to watch!

13. Aussie Willy

Excuse me - what is the point of this comment? Apart from just being an opportunity to be rude about judges.

14. aftershocks

Thanks for your explanation of how you would have judged this artistic performance for the skater's age group. How did you become a judge, Aussie Willy (did you have to study and take a test, or have a hands-on knowledge of skating, or just have worked as a volunteer with your local club for many years)?

Not sure about monty's comment either -- maybe monty means that the music choice, and the skater's hair and whipping head movements are unusual and might not be acceptable for some judges (although hip-hop on ice has been done in the senior ranks before, usually for exhibitions but notably, Stephanie Rosenthal's U.S. Nationals competitive performances from a few years ago were a breath of fresh air. Even though Rosenthal had not mastered many triples, she was an excellent dancer and interpreter of the music).

I think most judges try hard to do their jobs, and are generally above board. OTOH, on the senior international level, politics is rampant and some results are questionable. I would love to see an end to anonymous judging, but that is unlikely to happen. On the club level, the judges as volunteers probably spend long hours in their thankless task, but I guess its worth it when you love skating and enjoy having an opportunity to see skaters grow and improve their skills.

15. monty

monty Active Member

Oh, for pity's sake, I wasn't trying to be rude to anyone. Judges are inundated at every competition, year after year, with the same music and similar interpretations. Having something refreshingly different would be a shocking, albeit pleasant, surprise.

Not every comment is a slam of some group or individual. Quit looking for it.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  16. aftershocks

^^ Thanks for your observations, monty. That is one reason why I was so impressed with Alena Leonova's program and performance at Worlds this year. She did something different that suited her style and personality, and her skating benefited by her inspiration and enthusiasm in doing something wacky and wonderful with a touch of merriment. Skating definitely needs an infusion of edgy and different, by expanding on the traditional with a new angle or approach that's unpredictable (that's why I love the pairs team I call The Three Musketeers: Steuer, Savchenko, Szolkowy). I also enjoyed Miki Ando's original sp she used earlier in the season -- her music, costume and choreo were different and more suited to her athletic style. However, she and her coach abandoned that riskier approach to go back to the proven pretty lyrical skater routine (which is not Miki's strong suit, although she's competent at it with Morosov's guidance).

Re your previous post, monty: It definitely will be interesting to see if Starr Andrews continues in skating, as she is very talented. Often money becomes an issue, or a youngster might take up another sport or lose interest. She is definitely fun to watch and shows talent at a young age. I think the key is progressing slowly and steadily without a lot of undue fanfare and expectations placed on the skater. Reminds me of Johnny and Tiffany Stiegler who were talented at a young age and heavily touted. Unfortunately, the Stieglers were under a huge spotlight due to the early fanfare over their potential, and sadly they never achieved great success on the senior level.

17. Aussie Willy

Sorry if I took your comments that way. I obviously took the intention incorrectly. However many judges judge artistic events and I have seen programs a lot more way out there, more original and different than this one. It is a very good artistic program and the skater is an excellent performer but I am not surprised by it. We had an artistic event over Easter which was fantastic. The creativity was excellent and the skaters performed really well. One of the reasons I love juding artistic is to see that sort of thing.

However you do have to understand that so many cynical comments get posted about judges on this forum (and majority of them are very negative), it is difficult to know whether people are being nasty or nice. Unfortunately it makes me very defensive because sometimes even when you are trying to explain something you get shot down.

As for becoming a judge, well I kind of fell into it because we needed more judges (having been a skater and volunteer for many years). Then you do lots of practise, trial at events and eventually get thrown in the deep end. However Artistic judges don't necessarily need to be skating judges and can come from a range of backgrounds like music, theatre, dance, etc. Which when combined with skating judges makes a good mix. I have learnt a lot judging with people who are not skating judges because they see and look for different things than what I would as a skating judge.

18. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Someone show this to Ellen Degeneres, lady has a way with giving kids-with-talent a good boost!