Local idioms

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Bostonfan, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I think of basements as places where you can actually do things - like with an extra bedroom and/or bathroom or a t.v. or pool table or something like that. And a cellar as somplace you store things, where you only go to the cellar to put things away or bring them back up to the main part of the house. ??

2. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Try it on toast -- it doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth and teeth as much!!!!!

3. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Indeed, but why would Seattle dwellers have the best version of a Midwestern accent? :huh:

Most Midwesterners hear themselves and are :yikes: at how flat and nasal they sound, but that's actually what makes the accent the easiest on the ears.

4. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

”New West Overshoe” ‘round heah.

that’d be “up Nawth” in my neck of the woods.

A mannerism that’s hard to explain. Usually you’ll hear it from older residents in response to a question, a quick intake of breath whilst saying “yeah."

Anybody have a root cellar? In NE that was a section of the basement that had a dirt floor and was used to store...wait for it...root veggies, and the rows of mason jars contained preserved foods that had been “put up” for the winter.

5. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Not just NYC! I've heard that on t.v. shows for the last few years. And I will say to the t.v. ".....me".

6. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

That's where my dad stores his homemade wine. He calls it the bodega; my mom calls it the root cellar.

7. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I'm sorry - I'm commenting separately as I'm reading along - and repeating some of the previous comments - so it someone's mentioned this one already............is that like B.F.E.: Bum F*** Egypt ????? :-0

Side story, my cousin's roommate in college's high school age sister was talking to her mom about someplace "out in the boonies" and she started to say BFE (not the initials), realized who she was talking to, and what she couldn't say, so as she opened her mouth, East Jebip (don't ask me how to spell it - that's how it sounds) came out. So we always call someplace far away East Jebip.

8. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Many, many years ago, I was on the phone with someone in New York and he said I had a midwestern accent (excuse me, a New Yorker saying *I* had an accent?). Anyway, I said Ohio's the only state that doesn't have ANY accent! ha ha ha

9. znachki

znachki Active Member

Yep - no regional accent of any kind. If you pressed the little "pronounciation" button in an online dictionary - that's what we sound like.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I haven't been to the Pacific Northwest, but I've spent a lot of time all over California, and that's where I find American English the most "generic." Makes sense given the fact that with few exceptions, everyone is from somewhere else, so a common accent and pronunciation evolves.

11. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I've heard East Jebib lots of times, along with booies, boons, Outer Mongolia, middle of nowhere, all expressions that are used here.

:lol: Anyone who sounds different has an accetn to the one they sound different to :).

I told my husband about this conversation, last night. Busted him bout saying aig for egg and laig for leg. Yet he says bed correctly. The funny thing is that he doesn't hear that he is saying aig any differently from bed.

12. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I say laig for leg and aig for egg. Sometimes I feel like here in WNY/ southern tier we are accent mutts. We get a little of the mid western, a little Ontario, a tiny bit rural PA... Although newscasters sound a lot like me too, so maybe we aren't so bad.

13. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

We joke that folks from central CT get neutral accents, too - Boston and NYC cancel each other out.

14. cruisin

It's not bad, I just like to tease my husband :lol:

When I'm around a very strong NY/LI accent, I do pick it up. But, I usually sound more mid-west/newscaster.

15. Nan

Nan Just me

If you were to go out to see "Star Wars: Episode 1," would you say you were going to see a movie or a show? Those born and raised in southern Illinois all seem to say "show," while the transplants say "movie."

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That's one that was the difference between the city and a small town in my experience. I grew up in a big city and always said movies; when my family moved to a very small town, one of the first things I noticed was kids saying they were "going to the show." I remember wondering if they were talking about a play or review of some kind, and finding out quickly they were referring to the town's only movie theatre.

Later, when I went back to the city to go to college, my college friends used to tease me about having a heavy Canadian (aka not urban) accent.

17. cruisin

For me, a movie is a movie. A show is a live play or concert. My mom used to call all videos movies, including videos of family events. She would ask to watch "John's movie", meaning the video of "John's" birthday/hockey game/graduation/etc. It drove me crazy :lol: I never knew what she wanted to watch.

18. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Agreed, from a small-town Texas gal.

19. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

But a TV show is a show. Even a radio show . . . although you can't actually "show" anything on the radio

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Originally, radio shows were performed live for the most part, so maybe that's where that comes from? And tv?

For movies, it's more likely a throwback to a "showing" of Gone with the Wind or the like.

21. znachki

znachki Active Member

Since I woudn't go see that, the subject is moot!:cool:

Actually, I'd say movie, but if asked what time, I'd say the 1:30 show.

If I were going to a play, I might say "the show at the 5th Avenue Theater", especially since it's a musical, although I might say play or show if going to a legitimate play (and don't you love the connotation behind "legitimate" theater, versus what goes on at a musical!).

22. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I've never heard anyone call anything on radio a show; it was always a radio program where I came from.

23. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Or could be an shortening of the old-time term of "picture show" for movies (aka "motion pictures"). Also, in the past, many of the movie theatres also were theatres with actual live on-stage performances (including plays, vaudeville shows, concerts). There is still one of those large movie theatres here in my town, complete with a Wurlitzer organ. There are monthly showings of classic movies sponsored by the local park district and quite a few live performances, too. Its capacity is around 1500 and during the annual Ebertfest (film festival), it is filled to capacity, all the way up to the last row in the balcony.

24. cruisin

Hmmm, good point. I have no explanation better than what's already been proposed :)

25. mkats

mkats New Member

My coworker says "antsies in your pantsies". But that might just be her being weird. :lol:

My college roommate was half-Japanese and whenever she went to family reunions in California, they referred her a "hapa" (half-Japanese). Here half-Asians are frequently referred to as "Wasians".

26. Myskate

Myskate New Member

"Up north" is really anywhere more northern than where you (Michigander) live.

As a fellow Southeastern Michigan resident, we considered "Up North" anywhere north of Saginaw/Bay City. However if you come from the Ohio border area, I can imagine Pontiac being "up north". Have also been in "cabins" ranging from one room to 3000 square feet. I think to be a cabin it must be in the woods or on a lake.

27. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I went through a toll booth once in Boston and was asked for a "cattah". I had to ask the man to repeat himself three times before he finally said twenty five cents. :confused::confused::confused:

A quarter :eek: :lol:

Definitely something I say, even to this day. "I'm going to Target, wanna come with?"

I say "laig" and "aig" sometimes, if I'm talking fast or for emphasis.

Another one that I just remembered is how my mom says for the middle of nowhere: "East Jahunga" :rofl:

28. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Funny, until this thread I'd completely forgotten we used to call it "going to the show" when I was growing up. And yes, it was a small town, and yes, there was only one movie theatre in town.

AKA a "hoser accent." :lol:

Of course we'd never call it "going to college," it's "going to university." Unless you were going to the local community or regional college, then it would be "going to the college." But now almost all of the former colleges in the provinces have become universities, so "going to college" is rarely uttered.

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

When I was in college, Bob and Doug McKenzie were all the rage, so my city friends said I sounded like them :lol:

30. RobbieB

RobbieB New Member