Local idioms

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Bostonfan, Feb 3, 2012.

1. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

How does one order a pop? Don't you just say "I'll have a Coke/Sprite/Pepsi/Dr Pepper/Mountain Dew/anything else"? Or do you say "What kind of pop do you have?"?

I'm pretty sure that double question mark is wrong but it seems so right. :rofl:

2. mkats

mkats New Member

I've never heard of a bubbler (grew up just outside D.C.) I did have a friend in college from Pennsylvania who used to refer to Secret Santa exchanges as "Pollyannas"

Anyone else ever tried to use FSUisms in real life? And then you have to explain that it came from a figure skating forum? :lol:

3. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

You do have to be specific if the situation calls for it but if I'm at someone's house and they ask what I would like to drink I say pop. The term pop/soda just comes up in normal conversation just as coffee would. I normally just say coffee instead of a double mocha chai latte just to make it easier. If more clarification is needed, they will ask me.

But I still would say soda, I refuse to change my pop roots are too deep.

4. znachki

znachki Active Member

Here's a dictionary of regional english. http://dare.wisc.edu/

In Seattle, you can always tell a Californian beause they'll say "the 5", when speaking of the Interstate, which we call " I 5". Locally Mt. Rainier is just "the mountain".

Also, what do you call the little dust balls under your bed? That's often very regional.

5. milanessa

Got it. :) When you said order I immediately thought of a restaurant.

6. milanessa

My little pony just fainted.

Reuven and (deleted member) like this.
  7. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

:lol: I am originally from NY and I never realized that this was an unusual way of speaking. Oh, and as crusin said, you always go to the City.

Living in NC now, my classic test between NC natives and transplants is to ask them what toboggan means.

Technically (in an engineering sense :COP:) a roundabout is a different type of circular intersection from a traffic circle/rotary.

From wiki:
    Oh, and a NJ Jughandle and a Michigan Left are not the same thing, but they are both types of "alternative intersections" that provide ways of dealing with those pesky left turns drivers make :p. This article does a decent job of explaining alternative intersections and has links demonstrating jughandles and michigan lefts (as well as the Diverging (or Double Crossover) Diamond :glamor: interchange).

8. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The people in eastern Massachusetts use the term "wicked" in unusual ways, and far, far more often than I've ever heard anyone outside the area use it. Although it is used outside of Mass., in Mass., it's used a wicked, wicked lot. I've never heard it used as wicked often as in that region. On a scale of one to wicked, seriously, it's, like, a wicked pissah word to use. ;)

When we used to go in to Boston, we went "in Town". In Boston, a "triple decker" is actually a specific type of house with three apartments in it, one on each floor.

9. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Dust bunnies.

10. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

In NJ we'll just say - take 78W/E or take Rt. 78W/E.

Dust bunnies :D

I love the jug handle video, especially the one at night. :lol:

11. zigletto

zigletto New Member

I carry a pocket-book in which I keep the money that I use to pay for my wicked pissa milk-shake (which is milk and flavoring, shaken, as opposed to a frappe which contains ice cream).

I used the words 'wicked' & 'mental' in while teaching a class in San Francisco and was immediately asked where in Boston I grew up! Guilty!!!!

12. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

My Mom used to call it a pocket-book, she lived her whole life in NJ. I call it a purse.

13. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I'm from Boston and we don't say roundabout or traffic circle, we say "rotary." BTW, it's pronounced "bubblah."

14. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Another one from my childhood is "jimmies". I don't hear it that much anymore. But it's the same as "sprinkles" that you put on icecream. I'd go to DQ and ask for a vanilla cone with "rainbow jimmies". IIRC, Rhode Island's word for sprinkles is "shots", but I don't know if I'm remembering that right.

15. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Is it only here in Chicago that we have front rooms? (Or, as we pronounce it, "frunchroom".)

Everyone here calls it "pop", but I started saying soda mainly because I saw a ditzy character on the show Vega$ when I was a kid, and she kept saying, "can I have a POP?" I thought she sounded so unintelligent that I began that day saying "soda".

Chicago's commuter train is called The L (for "elevated", I believe), The Lake is obvious, "The Cell" is U.S. Cellular Field where the Sox play, and we have two names for our expressways (the Kennedy or 90, the Edens or 94, the Tri-State or294, The Ike or 290).

16. cynthiabc

cynthiabc Member

Another Chicago idiom that I remember - The Loop for the downtown area, (surrounded by the L).
    Also I 94 (on the South Side) is called the Dan Ryan.
    I grew up in Chicago, but I haven't lived there for over 40 years, so things may have changed.

17. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

We had one when I was a child, but I haven't heard that phrase since I left the farm. We called it a fruhroom, with a hard uh.

I grew up with pop, but gradually switched to soda in college. It seems to happen a lot around here; all of the college graduates I know say soda and all of the non-college graduates say pop. Some people use both.

18. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I grew up in California and it's strictly called soda there, but moved to Chicago when I was 17. I still say soda and I can get a fair amount of flak for that, haha! To me, it's easy. Soda is a drink; pop is a sound.

19. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I used to think pop was a drink and soda was something you used in baking.

20. milanessa

I use both of them plus soft drink and fizzy drink. Can't remember which I learned first. :lol:

21. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

If I used soda around here, someone would get a box of Cow Brand out of the kitchen cupboard. Root beer, etc are all pop.

22. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

In Australia you don't ask for 7 Up or Sprite, it is all lemonade. Pop is called "soft drink". A stroller is called a pram, a pacifier is called a dummy. Flip-flops are called thongs. Cookies are called biscuits, and Rooting also has a very different meaning down here... :shuffle:

23. emason

emason Well-Known Member

In my hometown we didn't go downtown, we went downstreet. When my mother lived in Vermont, her town was so small it only had 2 streets and she went overstreet when she went shopping. Also in Vermont, my mother didn't long for spring to come, she talked about what she would do 'come greenup."

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  24. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

We call them roundabouts in MI, too, though I've heard a few people say traffic circle instead.

Either way, I hate driving in them.

25. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

We call them "hundreds and thousands".

26. emason

emason Well-Known Member

In Massachusetts I never heard the word sprinkles when I was growing up; it was always shots or jimmies, depending on whether you were in Western Mass or Eastern Mass.

Also, the first time I heard 'wicked' used extensively, it was Down East in Maine - nowhere near Boston.

27. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I've always lived in the South, and I don't think that's true everywhere. I use the word "lovely" with its actual meaning. It can be used with sarcasm, but mostly it just means what is says. :)

I live in Arkansas, where I've heard the following all my life:

Here we use Coke to refer to soft drinks in general. "Let's go get a Coke." But of course you have to be specific when ordering.

If something falls over, we sometimes say it got "tumped" over.

"Catty-corner" as in "Their house is catty-corner from ours," means it's not directly across but more diagonally across.

A paper bag may be called a "poke."

"Fixing to" means "about to" as in "I'm fixing to go to town."

A "mess" of anything is a goodly amount, as in "We caught a mess of crappie,"or "She gave us enough turnip greens for a couple of messes."

Sweet milk is just regular whole milk as opposed to buttermilk.

A beauty operator is a hair stylist. This one must have fallen out of use because my daughter laughed like crazy the first time she heard me use the term.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  28. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

My best friend is from Appleton, Wisconsin, and said bubbler when we met in college. She also said "ralph" as a verb for throwing up, and on one memorable instance she "ralphed in the bubbler" which became a catchphrase :lol:

All the highways in Buffalo have names: the Thruway (90), the Youngmann (290), the Scajaquada (198), the Kensington (33). It wasn't until I went to college in Ohio where everyone called highways by the number (480, 77, 271).

Buffalo English is well documented. One of my favorite bits is how to pronounce Toronto. If it's more than one syllable, you're doing it wrong. An episode of Alias referenced Buffalo State, which exactly no one calls it. Buff State.

We said "jimmies" in Buffalo! Weirdly, it was usually for chocolate. Chocolate jimmies and rainbow sprinkles.

It's "kitty corner" here, but oddly enough I didn't grow up saying that.

This might be a family thing, but we all say "___ as all get out", basically meaning intense. "She was drunk as all get out" means she was really, really drunk.

My mom also called footie pajamas "bunny bags". I've never heard anyone else say that.

29. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

To me, flipflops is a more generic term: thongs have a little post that goes between the big toe and second toe (which I find uncomfortable), but there are other kinds of flipflips that just have a band spanning the whole width of the foot, tightly enough to keep it on (most of the time).

30. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

We call non-thong slip on shoes, "slip-ons", or sometimes sandals.