Live Figure Skating Disappears

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Maofan7, Oct 18, 2012.

1. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

You may want to watch the telecast in its entirety before filing a complaint. Since 2010 Olympics, a lot of the galas have mixed the orders of the skaters, regardless of placement. Gold medalists are the exceptions-they always skate last.

And honestly, how has CTV's coverage of Skate Canada been lousy? Almost always live and they showed all the skaters (except for the first group of free dance, but it was shown on RDS).

2. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Are you saying G&P WERE shown on tonight's TSN broadcast? Because I haven't seen them yet.

3. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Well, apparently TSN does suck. It was scheduled for 2 hours but it was only 1.5 hour telecast.

I still stand by my general approval of TSN's coverage of the whole event, minus a few exhibition programs.

4. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I remember back in 2002 and 2003 there was decent coverage on foxtel. It was in the middle of the night, and about a week late, but it was good (and it had Dick and Peggy commentating). Now its bare!

Saving up to go to events is the most fabulous idea! The cheapest would be NHK, i guess. I managed to go to TEB in 2010, but, thats not something I could do annually haha

until then its youtube!

5. Judge Dred

Judge Dred New Member

What coverage do fans have at the moment of the Grand Prix in the United States?

6. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

If your cable/satellite provider carries Universal Sports, you can pay an additional fee to watch the GP. There is also a taped 'highlights' program that runs for 2 hours on Saturday afternoons on NBC (For all events except Cup of China). However, Universal Sports did not actually show any of CoC live events last night/this morning due to 'technical difficulties'. IceNetwork will have on-demand coverage of each event 7 days after it happens. That's... it.

7. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree! The Disson shows are so boring. They have "different" ones, but it's like you are watching the same show over and over! The shows seem dated, like from decades ago. They have bands from the 70s, or 4th tier pop stars that no one has heard of. The same sponsors show after show, have "infomercials" within the show starring the skaters at home, cooking or showing off their jewelry. This becomes very tired when you are watching it every weekend during the winter. They got the jewelry for free, but you have to pay $100 per bead to commemorate a vacation (unrealistic?). There are already commercials during the commercials, why have them during the show also? Is skating so bad off that we have to put up with this?

I would love to see a fresh new skating show like Stars on Ice put on TV, with the latest champions or national competitors performing innovative programs, not the same skaters doing sleepy routines to Christmas music, shaking their booties while the older women in the crowd howl.

I almost feel guilty complaining about it, because any skating show is so rare that we should be grateful for anything that comes on! But is it too much to ask, for something "new"?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  8. Judge Dred

Judge Dred New Member

Take a look at this - U S Figure Skating is having YouTube videos taken down -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ayFqY2GVs

Crazy. A lot of Americans cant see the grand prix and now U S Figure Skating is preventing them from seeing it on YouTube as well. That will go a long way to eroding what's left of the fan base. I would have thought as well that U S Figure Skating has no right or jurisdiction to prevent the rest of the world watching on YouTube. At most, the only right they have is to geoblock American users from watching.

If I were American, I would complain to U S Figure Skating. They are responsible for the poor coverage in America and now they preventing fans from even viewing coverage on YouTube. That seems very cruel to what's left of the American fan base. The priority for U S Figure Skating should be sorting out the TV coverage problem, not preventing fans from watching

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012