Live Figure Skating Disappears

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Maofan7, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Latest Phil Hersh article. Reads:-

The same problems re poor TV coverage exist in Europe as well. The ISU needs to start sorting these problems out, as its killing figure skating.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

"The ISU needs to start sorting these problems out, as its killing figure skating."

If the ISU gave a fig we wouldn't be quite where we are today. They don't care now and I don't expect that they're going to care in future. As a figure skating fan for well over 50 years I can tell you that the ups and downs have been amazing to watch. What has been most discouraging though is the ISU's increasing disregard for figure skating - very sad. There is no help coming from them.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  3. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

It's completely asinine that a sport that desperately needs viewers would allow this crap to happen. I'm trying to find the logic behind their decision, and I've got nothing. It's not like they're going to get more money... They're going to get less, since of the many particulars needed to access US's streaming coverage. All they had to do was allow people to pay for the streams on their website, but no. They couldn't even manage that much. Forget them, really. I'm paying tvteka, and US can go step on some legos.

4. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Its so crazy! In Australia, I cant even watch the grand prix at all from my ice network account. And i have no idea why. Its not shown on any tv here, so why is it blocked?? There are probably on 4 people in australia who care to watch anyway, so whats the point of the GEO Block?

5. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Because, if the London Olympics have taught us anything, it is that TV networks, especailly big NA tv networks (but not only) like buying and then defending their exclusivities at all costs but totally don't care about viewers. You have the music industry to thank for starting that trend....:rolleyes:

Actually I find that the situation has improved in Europe: until last year, I had not access to any tv channel showing the GPs, whereas now my local Eurosport (Eurosport France) is showing all of them, even if the Skate America is a bit more limited in terms of live coverage. The European and World Championships coverage remains the same, with every country showing most, if not all competitions live (at least the free programs - most national tv channels don't show the SP, which are usually covered only by Eurosport)

It's such a shame because as the OT stated, this is slowly but surely killing FS, especially in Northern America which was traditionally the most important market for the sport I believe. Now it looks like this has shifted more to Japan and Eastern Asia (thanks to Yu Na Kim and the Chinese pairs)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  6. misskarne

misskarne #408

I never quite understood this. Would it really be so hard for icenetwork to not geoblock? I was even going to subscribe to IN this season until I found out about the geoblock (and then of course the total destruction of the coverage.)

It's surely hard enough in NA and Europe to watch skating - where it's a sport given airtime. Here, I don't think skating even makes the list for pay TV (which I don't have anyway). So I'm stuck trying to find some junky jerky Russian stream that hopefully won't give my computer too many viruses. It's pretty hard to watch skating when you're not a main skating country.

7. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

The problem is that licences (right of images) sold to tv stations are for given territories only: if they wanted to make their stream available worldwide, the price would probably be prohibitive. Besides, there would still always be areas that would be geoblocked because the rights have been sold with exclusivity to another tv station (granted, I would imagine that it wouldn't be a problem in Australia as apparently the rights weren't sold there). As a result, you only very rarely have legal ways of watching any tv channel outside the country/ area they cover (I think the Keyhole TV program to watch live Japanese tv is one of the only exceptions, but that's because the program is actually sponsored by the Japanese government)

One legit alternative is the Eurosport TV player. You have to pay a small fee, which is very reasonable (I think around 5 euro/ month) for relatively good image quality, although it's clearly not HD. I am not sure if you can access it from Australia though: I would suggest you enter from eurosport.com, then choose any of the main European countries' eurosport website and try to create an account from there. I live in Switzerland yet I have access to Eurosport France, Germany, Italy and UK that way

8. misskarne

misskarne #408

Thanks for the hint! :) I will try it!

9. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

...and I've also taught myself to blackout results and spoilers and then 24 hours later find all the programs on youtube and watch it that way....kinda like how I watch the JGP except ISU posts the vids within minutes.

Other than that, save my pennies and fly around to watch skating. *shrug*

10. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I don't know what the situation is like this year in Canada, but last year was the best that it has ever been (every single event was shown on regular cable in pretty good timeslots, most were live). It seems to be getting better every single year here.

11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

How many little girls and boys will NOT be inspired to try skating because they didn't see it on TV? :(

12. misskarne

misskarne #408

Actually, that was great during the JGP series! I really loved that. Could they not do something similar for the senior GP? I know a lot more kids at my rink this year watched the JGP because they could get at it on Youtube. It was like live streaming without the stream. Plus if you were running restricted internet *coughlikemecough* at the time, you could pick and choose which programs to watch.

13. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Is FS the red headed stepchild of the ISU?

14. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Now I can't even do livestreaming on universal sports. It's terrible. Now all prerecorded NBC maybe if there isn't a bigger live sport taking priority.

15. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

More than ever the need to go the NFL route and create their own internet TV network. Show all the events - junior and senior - and let fans subscribe. The technology is there - they just need to use it.

16. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Kids nowadays from the Youtube and social Networks generation dont really need to see it on regular TV to get hooked onto something. They will probably be happier with a FS iphone application or something similar.

17. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

We are very spoiled in Canada. We have great coverage and it is free on basic cable.
    Here is the CBC TV sched: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/broadcast/
    Click also on the 'CBC Bold' ' link on the webpage for even more TV scheduling, and 'CBC.ca' for web coverage. Don't know what the Skatebuzz schedules are yet. I wish that fans everywhere could get this.

18. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

That's correct. Last year ESPN in Australia showed some of US Nationals the week following the event, but that's all I've ever noticed. Eurosport Asia-Pacific doesn't show any figure skating coverage at all, despite showing some other winter sports.

Although, having now had access to the commentary-free ISU Web TV for Euros and Worlds, I'd actually rather pay for that. I know it doesn't give you the Grand Prix (apart from the Final), but what it does offer is a lot more than I used to see on British Eurosport anyway.

19. misskarne

misskarne #408

I nearly forked out for that last year while trying to find a working stream for Worlds. Is that the one on the ISU website? And it shows the GPF and JGPF, and Euros, Worlds?

20. sarakimm

sarakimm New Member

Thank God I live in Michigan and can catch CBC's broadcasts. They are relentless homers, but at least I can see the skating!

21. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

Yes, that's right. It's advertising the GPF for $US13.50 at the moment. I'm not sure about the JGPF (it's not something I really watch) but definitely got Euros and Worlds last year. I found it was better to watch the events as 'catch-up' the following day, rather than live, when everyone was trying to watch, but it worked pretty well.

22. Michael O'C

Michael O'C Member

I am in Australia too. There are many people who say they like to watch skating but there isn't any to watch apart from the Winter Olympics. Foxtel was good at some periods but hadn't shown anything (non-Olympic) for years. I am guessing it hasn't improved as I didn't get Foxtel reconnected after the floods here in Brisbane.

As for free TV, just forget it. I hoped that one of the new free digital channels would help, but no luck. I guess that they can't fit it in around all the football and cricket. The only skating I have seen on TV since Vancouver was the Jr Grand Prix held in Brisbane on the community channel 31. It was good to see but very limited and disjointed.

I love the way the ISU has been posting all the skates from the JGP on YouTube, I wish they would do it for every event. Perhaps in the future?

23. query5

query5 New Member

For me, The U.S. did it to themselves by
    1) not listening to the public
    2) kept showing the same skaters for all the disson shows, img shows, tours in the pro world.1-
    a) the U.S. public didn't mind seeing the OGM for 1 or 2 shows , but once you saw them on tv in one show the same for the next not to mention the (pro am competitions and the tour. We basically saw the ogm, same skaters skate the same thing over the course of the year-4-5 times. people got tired of it.
    they wanted to see the lesser know skaters or ones that haven't saw in a while -example ones who finished 4-6 at nationals, or lower rank at worlds
    we saw caryn kadvy i don't know how many times, & kristi, brian, scott , was always on one of the shows not to mention tara, etc.

sometimes when cut for commercial they cut the ones we wanted to see out.
    b_in competition went from seeing the top12 in short to top 6 in short, and now in gp series only the top 3. (used to see all the U.S. skaters regardless of finish now only see them if they medal)

3-pushing only img skaters for the shows, competition and making sure the ogm won (majority of time even though messed up)
    4)_not pushing the sport as a whole
    by that i mean-no skaters that includes michelle kwan and all the ogm medalist is more important than the sport. the sport as a whole is more important than them.
    5) people are drawn to certain medalist, skaters-like michelle, tara, brian, kristi, oskana, shiuzka, peggy-but that isn't what keeps them there. it is how the sport is being portrayed, appearance, how fairly they treat skaters in competition alike. in other words-if one falls and gets a low score in pcs they all should (-sorry but their is a techincal reason why they fall, ur, flutz-not hold up due whatever reason you like
    going to scrutinize one have to scrutinize all
    6) if state rules on internet apply them as rules "not as guidelines" -public sees them as rules not as guidelines
    7) admit your cheating, unfair treatment of skaters, might go better=-dont lie and state well we change guidelines to "favor" skaters we want. keep rules same for everyone.

24. query5

query5 New Member

by the way love new format

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

It's not just the t.v. that's unfriendly to skating, but equally important are figure skating boards that do not welcome diverse figure skating fans, rather their own clique.

In this way, FSU is the only f.s. board that I know of that truly welcomes everybody from around the world. I just wish I had joined 10+ years ago when it first opened. I have deleted all the rest from my bookmarks. There's a reason why FSU has the greatest traffic of any figure skating board around.

Once again, if figure skating wants to grow and introduce new fans to this beautiful sport they must do so online as well, not just on t.v. Excluding f.s. fans just because they have a different viewpoint isn't going to help. Too much PC is not good, no matter what sport, et al.

Thanks for listening.

26. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

But FSU is not "figure skating" -- it's started by and run by fans. It's great that fans -- and participants, and parents, and officials -- from a variety of backgrounds read and participate here and welcome newcomers. But there's nothing here coming officially from those who run the sport.

I agree that enthusiastic fans can attract more fans.

27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Several years ago, there was an attempt to start a "Figure Skating Channel" in the US.
    It ended, I believe, because of difficulties in getting broadcast rights, even for historic footage.
    Perhaps, it's time to try again.

I would subscribe to such a cable channel.

28. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

We used to have almost that in Canada. It was called CBC Bold and it was a random channel which happenened to show EVERY skater in EVERY event live (from Canadian Nationals to all the grand prix's/worlds etc.). It was amazing for any Canadian skating fan, and lasted a few years, but now it's not the same :(

29. canscot

canscot New Member

CBC seems to be showing all the GPs this year except for Skate Canada which was on CTV. But it was not always so.

30. The Observer

The Observer New Member

The coverage on TSN of Skate Canada this week has been lousy. I'm watching the Gala right now and they omitted to show Gilles & Poirier, even though they are a Canadian team and even though they finished 4th. Instead they chose to show Hubbell & Donahue who are American and who finished 5th. Why? They pulled this same stunt in the Ice Dance Free over the weekend. Why weren't G&P shown?