Little things in skaters' routines that you really like

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by falling_dance, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Facial expressions. Nothing more off-putting than seeing a skater look like they'd rather be anywhere else. It makes me think: 'If you don't give a shit about your own performance, why should I?' Performance skills in general as an extension but whilst not everybody can easily achieve a great posture, lines, etc. etc. it really doesn't take that much to show some kind of emotional involvement (yes, I know it's not easy if you're focusing on technical elements but still).

Giving a shit about music is nice as well. :p You know sometimes a really little detail, like bobbing your head to a musical accent, can make a big difference.

2. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze 2002 SP: I love the spread eagles & turn right after landing the throw before getting into the split double twist.

I also like their hands/palms/fingers positions throughout- a lot of attention to detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAJUcgMZMO4

In their LP (Meditation from Thais) there are so many interesting little moments- the mohawks, the shoot the duck, taking steps back, the Eternal spring position from Rodin sculpture, the final sustained spread eagles-spiral positions, and they all were smoothly interwoven in to the choreography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=B_VDRBCOslo

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Oksana Baiul's 1994 Oly exhibition, skated to The Swan:

The way she looks at certain places in the routine, moves her neck, gorgeous arm movements and the little hand movement to indicate the dying swan. This is one of my all time favorite exhibitions by any skater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI27ulyzUoM

4. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Yes love Shae's head bobble in the SLSS in Waltz OD 2003:)

5. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

The very beginning pose and first movement of Michelle's East of Eden. She's not even skating yet, but looking over her shoulder, then reacting to the beginiing of the music.

6. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

When music goes down then you can here that pure sound that skate blades make with ice. For example, this. It's the moment of serenity. Just beautiful.

7. kiss-n-cry

kiss-n-cry Team Brown

Slide spirals!!! :swoon: Alex Johnson does a small one as part of his step sequence in his current FS. It is a nice highlight; makes me catch my breath every time a skater performs one. Jeremy Abbott did a nice one in his Life is Beautiful program. IIRC, Robin Cousins had a gorgeous slide spiral... time to look on youtube!

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I want to watch him at practices without music and listen to his blades, for all my life !

9. Nan

Nan Just me

Yes! :)

10. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Gwendal's split position in the lift in TMITIM FD. I get goosebumps everytime I watch that programme especially leading up to that part.

11. GoldenMichelle

GoldenMichelle Active Member

Kwan's SotBS FS has tons of little movements that I love
    http://youtu.be/NhXa9JYtwLY

The back circle at 1:33-1:39
    The arm movements at 2:03 then the little swinging leg movements immediately after
    The movements at 2:27
    The little foot movement at 2:48
    At 3:39 she's standing still and then does this half turn with her arm above her head..love :)

Definitely my favorite Free skate of hers

12. Jebrista

Jebrista New Member

I agree 100%

13. Jebrista

Jebrista New Member

I like the turn thing Polina Shelepen did after her Combo Spin in this program. I don't know what it's called:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_89D8fhNRc

I also really like Elena Radionova's arm moves during her Flying camel in her short this year. It goes with the music.

Also I like the little "finger pointing/shooting" thing Carolina Kostner does in her footwork in her Bolero FS.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  14. timmybopper

timmybopper New Member

15. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

The moment in Sasha's "Romeo and Juliet" where she plucks something out of the air.

Also, any time she ever did a Russian split. Her Russian splits were just amazing.

16. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

17. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Todd Eldredge's little hand "flourish" (for lack of a better word - not sure what to call it) during his "Les Mis" medley (during the "Master of the House" part. Also his ending pose for his "Cabaret" sp.

Well done Russian Split jumps (Todd, Sasha, Rory, Paul, ... )

18. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member